Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

16 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Around Manningtree on the GE main line south of Ipswich for this morning.

Manningtree47129LiverpoolSttoNorwichMay75J4294.jpg.868f9b9824dabff2eda7a62cabea511f.jpg

Manningtree 47129 Liverpool St to Norwich May 75 J4294

Manningtree37090downleMay75J4305.jpg.f9bd9d0ebfeb849d880317c1e1415c60.jpg

Manningtree 37090 down l e May 75 J4305

ManningtreeCattawadeBridgeJune75J4379.jpg.62e017c1c889f5aea9e4b4e85ec10886.jpg

Manningtree Cattawade Bridge June 75 J4379

ManningtreeClass31upJuly75C4536.jpg.4006d01f3a0eef9eb6786731c448517c.jpg

Manningtree Class 31 up July 75 C4536

ManningtreeClass47LiverpoolSttoNorwichJan78C3650.jpg.3d44217189c8d2d956bb7a176a9e58c9.jpg

Manningtree Class 47 Liverpool St to Norwich Jan 78 C3650

David

Looks like you managed to get two of the stored Brighton Belle cars in the siding there in the second shot.  I think the last ones stayed there until around 1975/6 time.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
extra text added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Looks like you managed to get two of the stored Brighton Belle cars in the siding there in the second shot.  I think the last ones stayed there until around 1975/6 time.

I knew I had some photos with them in, taken at the south end but havd never noticed them in that photo.  Many thanks for seeing them.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from around Manningtree. C4536, of a Class 31 on an up service, in July, 1975, is a superb shot of the train in the distance, and a lovely selection of small boats in the foreground. It would make a lovely oil painting.

The photo’s of Harrogate in 1965, and 1966 are an excellent selection. J399, of LMS Class 5, 45210, on a Harrogate to Kings Cross service, in October, 1965, is a most atmospheric photo’ and it is incredible that such sights were to be seen each day back then.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Could they be the 2 that ended up at the North Norfolk during ‘Operation Coachbelle’? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

Could they be the 2 that ended up at the North Norfolk during ‘Operation Coachbelle’? 

I can't really remember TBH, but the numbers stored there from when I first remember seeing them around 1974, slowly dwindled down to just 2 cars remaining, which could be the ones in that photo. Despite starting to take down train numbers from '74 onwards, I don't think I ever bothered writing the numbers of the vehicles down at the time, plus I threw out my pre '76 spotters notebooks years ago - which was a bit of a mistake, on reflection!

I'll have a look through the CD of the ITS Journal that I have later on and see if that can pin down which ones they are likely to be.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 50A55B said:

Thanks again for all your wonderful photos Dave.

Re. J4379 Cattawade Bridge, is that a rather lonely looking tank wagon left of centre, with possibly a crane jib behind?

i think it looks like a Triang giraffe in a fuel tanker.

they must have broke the boxcar.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

10 hours ago, 50A55B said:

Thanks again for all your wonderful photos Dave.

Re. J4379 Cattawade Bridge, is that a rather lonely looking tank wagon left of centre, with possibly a crane jib behind?

That was actually a siding which was used for unloading coal and oil deliveries to the BX Pastics/Wardle-Storey plant there. I think the "crane jib" is an unloading arm/pipe for the tankers.

Margaret Thatcher worked there in the early 1950's!

• Informative/Useful 7

10 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

I've had a look at the CD now....

The transfer of 2 cars (S287S/S291S) to the NNR took place on 16th March 1975, which just left two cars at Manningtree from the original 6 stored there.

That means the 2 in the photo are S292S & S293S.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

55003 MELD

2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I've had a look at the CD now....

The transfer of 2 cars (S287S/S291S) to the NNR took place on 16th March 1975, which just left two cars at Manningtree from the original 6 stored there.

That means the 2 in the photo are S292S & S293S.

Many thanks for the information.

David

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The other eyecatching thing is the amount of "weed" trees that have sprung up around the viaduct!

The whole country is becoming so overgrown 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

The whole country is becoming so overgrown 

I think its now called "environmental enrichment", next it will become an SSI...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of photo’s of Abbotts Ripton, Grantham and Hett Mill. C3390, of 55003, Meld, on a down express, in July, 1977, is a well composed photo’, and a typical example of a ‘Deltic Plus Eight’.

The photo’s, both then and now, of the Northumberland line (the Blyth and Tyne), at Marcheys House, south of Ashington, and also the Wansbeck viaduct, are a fascinating selection, and show perfectly how things have changed. s BSC_8949, of the Wansbeck viaduct with 158853 on a crew training run from Ashington to Newcastle, at 11.38 today, is an excellent photo’ of exciting times for the railway.

The ‘then’ photo’, C6791, at Marcheys House with 37132 on a North Blyth to Alcan Lynemouth train, on the 10th April, 1985, is a superb shot of the 37. 

The photo’s of the Nottingham Grantham line, at Bottesford, are a fascinating set, with C6156, of a Class 120, with car M53653 leading, on a Nottingham to Grantham service, in August, 1983, is a delightful photo’ and the unit has a class 101 trailer in place of its buffet car. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Marcheys House River Wansbeck viaduct

That’s a fine viaduct. The OS maps seem to show a couple of rights of way along the river banks - would that be too low down for a decent train photo?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

That’s a fine viaduct. The OS maps seem to show a couple of rights of way along the river banks - would that be too low down for a decent train photo?

In the past I've taken photos from the north bank to the west of the viaduct, the viaduct "railings" look different now so I'm not sure how it would work.  I intend to go and have a look in due course.  I've not tried other places along the banks, but they might work.

I have seen a number of published photos in the past from other viewpoints but most often from the one I used on the north bank to the west.

David

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Nottingham Grantham line again at Bottesford.

Bottesford20172andanoSkegnesstoLeicesterJuly83C6110.jpg.2d25dd4a1bc89ceb2b8761cdaf68e15e.jpg

Bottesford 20172 and ano Skegness to Leicester July 83 C6110

If that was Saturday 2nd, then the trailing loco was 20 178. Otherwise, 20 172 reappeared for several days at the end of the month, paired with 20 163 (courtesy of www.railgenarchive.co.uk).

In C6158, 20 163 only appeared on the 1st August, still paired with 20 172.

Edited by 35A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 35A said:

If that was Saturday 2nd, then the trailing loco was 20 178. Otherwise, 20 172 reappeared for several days at the end of the month, paired with 20 163 (courtesy of www.railgenarchive.co.uk).

In C6158, 20 163 only appeared on the 1st August, still paired with 20 172.

Thanks very much, the first photo as far as I can work out was taken sometime in the last few days of July.

The1st August would make sense for C6158.

David

Edited by DaveF