Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

What's that building on the left?

Being that close to the running lines, it has to be railway related.

I thought, perhaps, a signal cabin (a brick base with a track level access "arch").

Interesting architecture though.

Kev.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

What's that building on the left?

Being that close to the running lines, it has to be railway related.

I thought, perhaps, a signal cabin (a brick base with a track level access "arch").

Interesting architecture though.

Kev.

Looking at the Disused Stations site, it looks like the back of a building on the branch down platform. See also this wikimedia photo https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Barnwell_Junction_railway_station_1762861.jpg

Reading further, all is explained, along with more recent photo's. Dave's photo also features, suitably aknowledged.

The signal box was off shot to the left in Dave's photo.

Edited by Artless Bodger
More info
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, jacko said:
On 02/08/2024 at 11:57, Pyewipe Jct said:

Ahem, Riley...

[the One-Point-Five sitting outside my window told me I had to say that... 😁]

We had a Riley 1.5 for our wedding car in 1987 and it didn't look like the car in Dave's photo. 

I'm guessing, but your wedding car was most likely a Riley RM-series car (of which the RMA and RME had 1.5 litre engines) made 1945-55 - rather than the Riley 'One-Point-Five' (made 1957-65) which is is the example shown in Dave's photo. The RM looks much more like a potential wedding car.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s on a wet August day at Aarau in Switzerland. C10041, of Re4/4ii, 11181, on a Romanshorn to Brig service, on the 2nd August, 1988, is a superb rear end portrait shot of the rain drenched locomotive.

The black and white print of a class J20/1, 64697, on a down class C through freight train from Temple Mills to Whitemoor at Barnwell Junction, in February, 1949, is a superb and historical photo’. There is good detail to be seen of the front of the J20/1. Thank you for posting the lovely photo’.

The Carlisle photo’s are an excellent set. C9399, of 47589, on a Glasgow to Carlisle via GSWR service, on the 12th April, 1988, is a delightful three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive. The 47 is seen in a typical weathered condition, just right for aiding modellers with their weathering projects.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2024 at 09:44, DaveF said:

Snip...

DisentisFOHGe443315thAug88C11170.jpg.5f673c12e8e9b8eba91c1d60615462f2.jpg

Disentis FO HGe4/4 33 15th Aug 88 C11170

With the flat front, narrow door, handrails on the end and flat sides almost looks like a narrow boat! All it needs is a tiller :-)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I recall seeing a large scale model of a RhB crocodile (LGB perhaps?) for sale in a shop window in Zermatt many years ago (we were adding a few days holiday to a trip for Head Gardener to attend a conference in Lausanne). I think the price was somewhere in excess of what we paid for the holiday! Lovely locos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2024 at 16:37, DaveF said:

AllensWestHaltClass101DarlingtontoSaltburnJune75J4401.jpg.03ed2a9c747454d931758853a236fcf8.jpg

Allens West Halt Class 101 Darlington to Saltburn going away  June 75 J4401

Now I can't be sure, but I think I lived in one of those houses on the right as a toddler. I remember climbing the three bar fence to wave at passing trains, ending up in the undergrowth on the railway side on at least one occasion.

The sidings on the left are part of Dow Mac, the concrete sleeper company, something I remember my father commenting on if he saw one on a train trip. The following shot looking the other way shows the line connected to the Royal Naval Spare Parts Distribution Centre, something I wasn't aware of, and not quite what I expected when I pulled up the NLS maps to dig a bit deeper. Probably was a munitions storage facility as well looking at the layout.

So, I've learnt something from your post, which is a distraction from modelling, but I have to have my daily fix, so keep posting....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos!

My school "Transport Society" organised a summer end of term visit to the KWVR in the early 70s, 71 or 72 I think.  I don't remember much about it now, I didn't take any photos, but I still do have a Trix tinplate wagon I bought on the visit as a memento!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, from 1969 to 1973. The last photo’ of Haworth, with USA, 72, and Ivatt, 41241, in February, 1973, is a delightful panorama of the yard. 

The photo’s of Swayfield are a superb set. C1151, of class 55, 9006, on the up  Flying Scotsman, 10.00 Edinburgh to Kings Cross, in October, 1972 C1151, is a particularly excellent shot of a typical Deltic hauled express train of Mklld air conditioned stock. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi David,

The Deltic in J2121 is 9013 The Black Watch (the only ScR one that had already lost its crest).

Thanks once again Andrew.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

C3509, is that Bass Rock and Oxwell Mains cement works chimneys in the distance?

Yes, the Bass Rock on the horizon and to the left of it the two chimneys of the Blue Circle cement works before the plant was converted in 1986.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

Yes, the Bass Rock on the horizon and to the left of it the two chimneys of the Blue Circle cement works before the plant was converted in 1986.

Bob

I think you can just see Barns Ness lighthouse above the rear of the loco, too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I think you can just see Barns Ness lighthouse above the rear of the loco, too.

Must be, I hadn't seen that rather ghostly image of it. Good spot!  😀

Bob

Edited by Bob Reid
Tried to make my directions a bit clearer!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bob Reid said:

Must be, I hadn't seen that rather ghostly image of it. Good spot!  😀

Bob

A few years too early to see Torness nuclear power station.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

A few years too early to see Torness nuclear power station.

A good bit, pity it is such a blot on the landscape! Due to be decommissioned in 2028 anyway...

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1