Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2024 at 07:44, Busmansholiday said:

Having worked on coking plants I'm going to have a guess here that it's to operate the doors on the coke car to release the quenched coke onto the wharfs. The bagging (name for those flexible pipes) goes to some sort of control box below the cab window so I'd guess that's the open / close valve and bagging at the back of the loco is connected to the coke car.

I'm probably wrong (my wife frequently tells me this), but that's my sort of educated guess.

Thanks, that sounds about right to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of the Midland photo’s. J5826, at Cowburn Tunnel, with a two car Class 101, on a Hull to Manchester service, in  October, 1977, is an excellent photo’, but that was surely not right to put such a unit on that journey if a 124 was not available - three or four Mkl’s loco hauled if possible.

J5051, at Danesmoor sidings, with 45135 on a St Pancras to Sheffield express, in February, 1976, is a superb photo’ of a typical Midland express of the mid 1970’s.

That is a delightful set of photo’s of ships and some railway things. J6549, of Portsmouth Harbour station from the ferry, in July, 1979, with also a landing craft and another ship, is a most delightful photo’ with plenty to see of the ships. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

cPortsmouthHarbourviewtostationBRcarferrymooredonleftJuly79J6543.jpg.1e0b02af945ce02a4c01839c06b0b66b.jpg

Portsmouth Harbour view to station, BR car ferry moored on left and one of the Ryde to Portsmouth ferries on the right.  July 79 J6543

Not forgetting the masts of HMS Victory far left, and the dome of Old Portsmouth Cathedral in the middle. Just missing the Gosport Ferry....

• Like 4

J5051 wouldn't be 45 135 (D99) "3rd Carabinier", David, as that had a single line nameplate and split headcode boxes. I can't offer a better suggestion, though, as it doesn't enlarge to a clearer image.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb and atmospheric set of photo’s from Switzerland at Disentis, in 1988, and 1990. The first photo’ of FO, HGe4/4, 33, on the 15th August, 1988, is a lovely and well composed shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s of Newcastle are an excellent selection. C5815, of a Class 101, on a Middlesbrough to Newcastle service, going away, on the High Level Bridge, in August, 1982, is a delightful composition of the bridge.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

C7809 It looks like there is a named Class 47 behind 143023. Not sure what the stock behind it is, but I didn’t think any loco hauled trains used those bays.

It is 47425 on an empty sleeping car train.

The photo was taken fairly early in the morning so it is probably waiting to take the empty sleepers from the Kings X to Newcastle sleeper to Heaton for servicing, once the Pacer is out of the way.  There will have been another 47 at the buffers which will have brought the train in from Kings Cross over the High Level Bridge.

David

• Like 3

Great to see the Newcastle pictures.  Somewhere I have a photo of the junction to the High level taken from the top of the castle keep. - must look it out.

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for those super Disentis pictures David. They bring back lovely memories as I was there in the winter of 1990 on a skiing holiday with the family.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

I'm intrigued. Why was a special from London to Carlisle called "The Norfolkman"?

Chris Turnbull 

Looking on the excellent six bells junction it was called “The Norfolkman” in tribute to D.W. Bill Harvey, former Shed Master at Norwich who amongst many other great achievements, played a big part in preserving the 61572 the last B12/3.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stentor said:

Looking on the excellent six bells junction it was called “The Norfolkman” in tribute to D.W. Bill Harvey, former Shed Master at Norwich who amongst many other great achievements, played a big part in preserving the 61572 the last B12/3.

Many thanks for that. I did meet Bill Harvey many years ago when he gave a talk to a small group of us in Norwich. A fascinating and very interesting man. 

Chris Turnbull 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

J5542  Mum by the canal in a gap between trains.

Wearing an early version of high-vis?! Or at least a spot of colour in a low-key scene!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of Dent and Dent Head. C3742, of preserved V2, 4771, on a London to Carlisle special, The Norfolkman, on Saturday, 25th March, 1978, is a most atmospheric photo’ of both the locomotive and the station.

The photo’s of Wolverhampton by the canal on an evening in October, 1976, are a delightful selection. J5541, of a Class 86 on an up express train, and a unit on a down service, is an excellent study of the two trains, and the diesel unit is actually a three car class 119 Cross Country set. I cannot recall if they visited Wolverhampton on a regular basis or not.

It is great to see your Mum in J5542. A lovely photo’. Thank you for posting it.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good evening, David. That’s a great and atmospheric set of photo’s of the Talyllyn Railway in 1969 and 1979. The first photo’ at Tywyn Wharf, of No3 Sir Haydn, on the 31st August, 1969, is a delightful three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive. 

The photo’s of places beginning with the letter A are an excellent selection. The first photo’ at Acklington, Northumberland, with a Class 254 HST, on an up express in August, 1980, is a superb shot the iconic train which has a well weathered cab end. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

A wet Augustv day at Aaray in Switzerland.

I thought it only rained in Manchester...

Atmospheric!

• Funny 4

On 02/08/2024 at 11:57, Pyewipe Jct said:

Ahem, Riley...

[the One-Point-Five sitting outside my window told me I had to say that... 😁]

We had a Riley 1.5 for our wedding car in 1987 and it didn't look like the car in Dave's photo. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1