Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

when did the line through chaddesden to the north stop being used (derby avoiding line)? 

That pic the main line curves to the left beyond the bridge, as it still does, and the line to chaddesden went straight on but there doesn’t appear to be any pointwork or indeed a route indicator on the new colour light signal, i think I can see a signal box and remains of track going straight on though

I assume the shorter post on the old semaphores used to go toward there, I’m wondering if it was removed whenever derby was resignalled whenever that was?

Morning Jim,  I think it was late 60s probably not long before that picture was taken as track still seems to in. I'm not sure but someone on here will know if all the Derby area boxes closed when the powerbox opened 

A short sighted decision closing that . Save a lot of messing about going on and off RTC 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of places beginning with S. The last photo’ at Sutton in Ashfield Junction, with Stanier 2-6-4T, 42629, on a Nottingham to Mansfield service, in April, 1964, is a superb composition of the train, and what was once an everyday sight. 

The photo’s at Swayfield on Stoke Bank are a superb selection, and C1640, of a Class 55 Deltic, on the down 18.04, King’s Cross to Leeds and Bradford, on the 30th June, 1974 C1640, is a most excellent shot and again a Mkll BFK can bevseen marshalled behind the Mkl BG.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

SwayfieldClass471970KingsXtoLeedsMarch72J2829.jpg.71bfe09cf93630d17463efc2d7714c98.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 1970    09.10 Kings X to Leeds March 72 J2829

Interesting sleepering on the left-hand track - wooden going to concrete and with some sort of rail-joint in the concrete section (insulated joint?)

Also interesting for showing (1) the subtle changes of alignment of the l/h track as the formation narrows and (2) the ballast is not continuous - there is an obvious flat 'bed' with separate ballast for each track (presumably because the tracks are so widely spaced)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pyewipe Jct said:

Ahem, Riley...

[the One-Point-Five sitting outside my window told me I had to say that... 😁]

Yes indeed- a Riley One Point Five in what looks like Florentine Blue, a Riley-only colour.

I have one too.

But to be fair, the differences between the Riley One Point Five and the Wolseley 1500 are subtle from that angle. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just a few more thoughts on David's photo from the front of the DMU approaching Spondon Jn.

The direct line into Derby via Chaddesden (the original Midland Counties line) closed as a through route, a couple of months prior to Derby Power Box opening in June/July 1969. The signalbox one can make out in the distance was Turntable Sidings; one of the boxes serving the Chadd Sidings complex.

Some signalboxes remained in and around Derby until well into the 1980s; long after colour lights were introduced. They often controlling level crossings and sidings connections, Spondon Station, being an example. Or the well-known box alongside Derby stationitself  (Engine Sidings No.2) controlling access to/from Derby holding sidings. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, keefer said:

Interesting sleepering on the left-hand track - wooden going to concrete and with some sort of rail-joint in the concrete section (insulated joint?)

Also interesting for showing (1) the subtle changes of alignment of the l/h track as the formation narrows and (2) the ballast is not continuous - there is an obvious flat 'bed' with separate ballast for each track (presumably because the tracks are so widely spaced)

Probably something like these, hollow steel sleepers used to pass wiring through.

cocklane0908.jpg.5eb5f1f4303b819e65c80ea4158e14ab.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if this was a spare to cover failure of the coke car loco, other coking plants often had some sort of backup like this. I’ve not seen a photo like this before though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, keefer said:

Looks like a rail expansion joint. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Is it perhaps being used as a static generator, with an extra fuel tank because it is in continuous use?

Jonathan

The tank looks like a pressure vessel, the inset inspection doors suggest this. Given the hoses too, has the loco been converted to a mobile compressor / compressed air supply? I've seen somewhere else an old diesel loco engine and frame used in such a way. The tank would be a compressed air reservoir.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Probably something like these, hollow steel sleepers used to pass wiring through.

cocklane0908.jpg.5eb5f1f4303b819e65c80ea4158e14ab.jpg

I think 1970 was a bit early for  hollow steel sleepers. 

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

C5864, the elevated crane in the left distance, would this be for coal or ash handling at Stella North power station?

From memory, yes.

David.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s at Blaydon and Derwenthaugh, on the south side of the Tyne. The first photo’ of 37101, at Blaydon, on an eastbound freight train, in October, 1982, is a superb three quarter portrait shot of the 37. The engine room door appears to be open.

The black and white photo’s from around Toton are an excellent and historical set. The first photo’ of a 4F on a down coal train, in c1949, is a well composed shot, and is a sight that is long gone. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2024 at 15:38, DaveF said:

Swayfield Class 55 down 30th June 74 C1640  18.04 Kings X to Leeds and Bradford

55018 BALLYMOSS

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2024 at 12:09, russ p said:

Save a lot of messing about going on and off RTC

Still having the line through chad would save a lot of messing in general, the likes of the Nottingham to Cardiff trains (and vice versa) wouldn’t have to change ends in derby station as they do now

• Like 3
  • Agree 2