Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Nice to see the power station chimney in the Cambois photo.  We stood on the opposite bank of the river where Bates used to be and watch them getting blown up. 

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David 

Last picture is interesting , were B12s and quad sets normal on the ECML this far north.  Having said that I've seen a picture somewhere of 2 set an an ex GC B2 at Skegness 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, russ p said:

Great pictures David 

Last picture is interesting , were B12s and quad sets normal on the ECML this far north.  Having said that I've seen a picture somewhere of 2 set an an ex GC B2 at Skegness 

Looks like two twins, with a single coach attached on the rear.  The twins are the sort the LNER built for secondary services all over the system (you can see from the white windows that they have lavatories which the suburban Quad Arts didn't have).  The last coach looks like something a bit different; could be ex Great Central?

Possibly the train has joined the ECML at Barkston?

Edited by 31A
Originally wrote perhaps it has come from Nottingham then realised it wouldn't have been where it was!
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 31A said:

Looks like two twins, with a single coach attached on the rear.  The twins are the sort the LNER built for secondary services all over the system (you can see from the white windows that they have lavatories which the suburban Quad Arts didn't have).  The last coach looks like something a bit different; could be ex Great Central?

Possibly the train has come from Nottingham?

Aye your right Steve missed the two bogies in the middle.  I was thinking GC for rear coach

I rode in the preserved quad set the other week for first time since I was a kid.  Wouldn't want to travel far in it back rests are just about vertical and not much leg room. Surprised GA hasn't ordered a new batch !

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Cambois on the Blyth and Tyne. The first photo’ of 56135, on the 26th April, 1986, is a superb portrait of the well weathered locomotive.

The black and white print of the valve gear of a class B1, at Cambridge loco sheds, in November, 1948, is a superb close up of the valve gear, and will be of much use for modellers.

The black and white photo’s of Barkston, north of Grantham, on the ECML, are an excellent selection, and full of atmosphere. JVol3256, of A3, 60042, Singapore, on a down express passenger train, in c1949, is a lovely photo’ and so well composed of a typical British steam hauled express train. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2024 at 16:57, Artless Bodger said:

J3010, can anyone identify the aircraft? Seems to have a quite high aspect ratio wing.

Maybe a HS748. The engine mountings seem to fit. The Varsity had more tubular nacelles. There seems to be a radome under the wing too.

Similar angle photo of a '748  https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Hawker-Siddeley-HS-780-Andover-C1-PR/1336196

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Maybe a HS748. The engine mountings seem to fit. The Varsity had more tubular nacelles. There seems to be a radome under the wing too.

Similar angle photo of a '748  https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Hawker-Siddeley-HS-780-Andover-C1-PR/1336196

I've asked for suggestions from fellow followers of this topic:

With luck they'll post them here.

• Like 2

Jvol6066, stirred memories of the first model railway club I joined, someone was running the, then quite new, Triang Flying Scotsman in BR green. Though no great fan of pacifics I was quite taken by it.

The 1977 photos at BTM, how old fashioned the cars seem, while the HST is timeless. The HST was quite new then, I was a student in Reading* and remember BR had promotional day return fares from Paddington and Reading to Bath Spa, BTM, Cardiff and Swansea for 125p. We made good use of them on Saturdays.

*1975-78, saw the end of the Westerns, class 50s drafted in, prototype HST and fleet service HST. Exciting times.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A close up of part of the smokebox of a G16 at Feltham Down Yard in December 1948.

img441.jpg.9e2ce36d4ac59093a55e2c162fd04c91.jpg

David

Interesting to see the dog clips on the lower half of the smokebox door, is this because this is the area most prone to warping and air ingress due to char build up against the inside of the door? You often see 'burned' lower smokebox doors.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2024 at 16:57, Artless Bodger said:

J3010, can anyone identify the aircraft? Seems to have a quite high aspect ratio wing.

Looks like an HS780 Andover, the military equivalent of the HS748. Would have been seen widely across RAF bases as a communications and transport aircraft. They were also used for navigation aid calibration at RAF stations but this is possibly a couple of years too early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

A close up of part of the smokebox of a G16 at Feltham Down Yard in December 1948.

img441.jpg.9e2ce36d4ac59093a55e2c162fd04c91.jpg

David

Googly Eyes!

Whoever thought the smokebox door was a good placement for lamp brackets must have had a sense of humour!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway and near Albrighton. The first photo’ of Bristol Temple Meads station frontage in November, 1977, is a stunning composition of the majestic station. 

The black and white print of a Southern Railway class G16, 4-8-0T shunting on the hump at Feltham Down Yard, in December, 1948, is a superb close up shot of the smokebox door. It will be of great use for modellers.

The photo’s of Carlisle, in the 1980’s, are an excellent selection. C6659, of Class 26, 26023, on the 23rd October, 1984, is a splendid side shot of the 26. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

C7073:- looks like Mike Donnelly, who was Divisional Manager, Newcastle, at the time.

There is also what looks to be an inspectors bag in the cab, maybe to brass were having a trip out on it, probably the most popular question of the day was 'what the f#ck have we bought?'

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Depot sticker for Haymarket (a castle).

Don't know how common it was to have them on the cabside though, they were usually on the body.

EDIT: I don't think I've seen the red-on-white 'patch' version before, it was usually the white castle + border onto the body

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

C7073:- looks like Mike Donnelly, who was Divisional Manager, Newcastle, at the time.

It does look like him; he was Area Manager Cambridge before that!

• Like 2