Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

13 hours ago, DaveF said:

A batch of black and white photos this afternoon.

ElsenhamO1upgoodsfromfootplateofB1c1948JVol7089.jpg.0b86413b9b3ea5cac52a22c64ca57e1b.jpg

Elsenham O1 up goods from footplate of B1 c1948 JVol7089

David,

I’m pretty certain the locomotive approach the B1, on which your Father was travelling is a Gresley 02.  The shape of the footplate around the smoke box is the giveaway.

Excellent images as always.  Thank you for sharing.

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Davexoc said:

It looks like Klansman which around that date would coincide with KKK goings on. Hmmm.....

I've had a look at the original scan of my slide, there is a bit to the left which has been rubbed out.  The right hand end seems to end in a V or W followed by an exclamtion mark.

David

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David,  I didn't realise rail traffic on the Dock lasted so late.  Was the incline to Haig pit still in use then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, russ p said:

Great pictures David,  I didn't realise rail traffic on the Dock lasted so late.  Was the incline to Haig pit still in use then?

I'm assuming you mean the Howgill incline which had a landslip in 1972 which put it it of service. A conveyor was then built but have no details.

There are photos of the incline and later conveyor in irishswissernies flickr site:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157668581940828/page2

They are about half way down the page.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Swiss metre gauge, on the Brünigbahn, between Luzern and Interlaken, in 1988 and 1991. The first photo’ at Meiringen, of SBB Brünig Deh4/6, 904, on the 12th August, 1988, is a well composed portrait shot of the lovely electric locomotive.

The photo’s of Whitehaven, in August, 1975, by your Dad, are a superb and atmospheric set. J4633, of a Class 25 in the distance, is a superb composition, and it is a beautiful scene. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, DaveF said:

I'm assuming you mean the Howgill incline which had a landslip in 1972 which put it it of service. A conveyor was then built but have no details.

There are photos of the incline and later conveyor in irishswissernies flickr site:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157668581940828/page2

They are about half way down the page.

David

I didn't realise it was all so late, any idea when rail on the Dock ended for good

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

I didn't realise it was all so late, any idea when rail on the Dock ended for good

Now that I don't know, sorry.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading a book about the railways and industry of Whitehaven - probably given to me by my sister but now passed on.

Yes, this one:

WHITEHAVEN - THE RAILWAYS AND WAGGONWAYS OF A UNIQUE CUMBERLAND PORT

by Howard Quayle

Cumbrian Railways Association

but OOP.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Birchenwood coke ovens, Kidsgrove, in July, 1973. J3250, of a Peckett tank engine is a fascinating study of the engine in store. 

The photo’s of the ECML between Newcastle and Cramlington, going north at Dudley and Damdykes crossing are a superb selection. C5613, at Damdykes, with a Class 47 on a down express train, in December, 1981, is a well composed shot of the train on a cloudy and gloomy December day. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Jvol7262; what is the third vehicle, with the low roof and ducket? Something ex - GN?

I am hoping that someone knows as I wondered about it too.

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Jvol7262; what is the third vehicle, with the low roof and ducket? Something ex - GN?

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I am hoping that someone knows as I wondered about it too.

David

Difficult to say but from the shape of the ducket it could perhaps be an ex Great Eastern clerestory coach, or possibly even ex North Eastern which I have seen pictures of being used in East Anglia at that time.

I was going to say in connection with that photo but didn't want to sound pedantic, a Cambridge - Liverpool Street train wouldn't actually pass through Shepreth (which is some miles along the line to Hitchin and King's Cross), but it could be at Shepreth Branch Junction where the King's Cross line (the 'Shepreth Branch' to the Great Eastern) diverges from the Liverpool Street line south of Cambridge.  Although another reason why I didn't say that was that I couldn't envisage that view being at Shepreth Branch Junction, bearing in mind the curvature of the line and the visible signal.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Steve's got it with the shape of the ducket; my first reaction was an ex-GE 6 wheeler.   The last ones didn't go until 1951, but they were on the Mid Suffolk by then.     Does anyone know when they went from normal services?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, 31A said:

Difficult to say but from the shape of the ducket it could perhaps be an ex Great Eastern clerestory coach, or possibly even ex North Eastern which I have seen pictures of being used in East Anglia at that time.

I was going to say in connection with that photo but didn't want to sound pedantic, a Cambridge - Liverpool Street train wouldn't actually pass through Shepreth (which is some miles along the line to Hitchin and King's Cross), but it could be at Shepreth Branch Junction where the King's Cross line (the 'Shepreth Branch' to the Great Eastern) diverges from the Liverpool Street line south of Cambridge.  Although another reason why I didn't say that was that I couldn't envisage that view being at Shepreth Branch Junction, bearing in mind the curvature of the line and the visible signal.

10 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Steve's got it with the shape of the ducket; my first reaction was an ex-GE 6 wheeler.   The last ones didn't go until 1951, but they were on the Mid Suffolk by then.     Does anyone know when they went from normal services?

Many thanks for the attempts to identify the coach and the location.  Of all Dad's photos the ones in the Vol7 number series are the least well captioned in terms of location.  I suspect they may have been ones he didn't print at first and then did them later on by which time he may have misremembered the exact locations.  He also always tended to use the nearest place name to where he was standing, not always the railway name.

It makes it "interesting" when working on his photos.  I have to admit I have some of mine where I find the location is wrong too!

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Many thanks for the attempts to identify the coach and the location.  Of all Dad's photos the ones in the Vol7 number series are the least well captioned in terms of location.  I suspect they may have been ones he didn't print at first and then did them later on by which time he may have misremembered the exact locations.  He also always tended to use the nearest place name to where he was standing, not always the railway name.

It makes it "interesting" when working on his photos.  I have to admit I have some of mine where I find the location is wrong too!

David

Another possibility occurred to me after I wrote that; perhaps it was taken at Shepreth but it was a Cambridge-King's Cross train, rather than a Liverpool Street train?  The line is certainly curved in that direction at Shepreth.  Disc headboards were a GE Section thing, but I have seen pictures of Cambridge-KX trains carrying them rather than the usual headlamps.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 31A said:

Another possibility occurred to me after I wrote that; perhaps it was taken at Shepreth but it was a Cambridge-King's Cross train, rather than a Liverpool Street train?  The line is certainly curved in that direction at Shepreth.  Disc headboards were a GE Section thing, but I have seen pictures of Cambridge-KX trains carrying them rather than the usual headlamps.

That is quite possible.

David

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Michael Harris (Gresley's Coaches) had the last one going in in around 1938, unless I've misread it. That may apply to gas - lit 4- and 6 - wheelers only. Here we have what looks like one in an ordinary service train; strange!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, DaveF said:

This morning we have spome photos from S&D 150 at Shildon in August 1975 plus one from June 1975.

ShildonyardJune75J4457.jpg.dfdaa87d65d961f592cd66889b5d5950.jpg

Shildon yard June 75 J4457  This view is different now.

ShildonS15841GreeneKing24thAug75C2314.jpg.b04c4e3711e9e8b4949a612d4aa35002.jpg

Shildon S15 841 Greene King 24th Aug 75 C2314

ShildonMerchantNavy35028ClanLine24thAug75C2335.jpg.1f190e05c95d2c12df1274ac42dfec6a.jpg

Shildon Merchant Navy 35028 Clan Line 24th Aug 75 C2335

ShildonK12005n24thAug75C2341.jpg.75cbe5027635c8a36b09ecf38cae5101.jpg

Shildon K1 2005 24th Aug 75 C2341

ShildonD4924624thAug75C2345.jpg.fb1123b1109114e63780ad93885f7568.jpg

Shildon D49 246 24th Aug 75 C2345

Shildon24thAug75C2358.jpg.2325f9cf0225e87427e719189354b87b.jpg

Shildon  24th Aug 75 C2358  9F Evening Star and NCB Austerity

David

Morning David great pictures 

About 10 years ago I was working at Shildon preparing ballast trains to leave site after a relay job

I was talking to a few blokes who looked at me disbelievingly when I said the wasteland was one once one of the most modern yards in the world with full electrification 

I still can't believe I didn't get taken to S&D 150

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5