Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a superb and nostalgic set of photo’s from around Alnmouth in Northumberland. C5810, of a Class 40 on a down train of ICI tanks, from Haverton Hill to Grangemouth, in August, 1982, is a splendid photo’ of the 40 and it has three discs open.

I loved C5810 and C5812 - the view through the bridge arch of the yard beyond. I went through there many times in the late 70s and early 80s and never noticed the infrastructure!  ☹️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

I saw a number of locos with hub caps wedged behind the smokebox handrail around that time.  I've no idea why.

The red and white small dome shaped object is a clearance marker to show the place at which if the stock is level with it a vehicle can pass by to the point on the other line without fouling it.  They are found in a number of countries in Europe.

David

Thank you. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveF said:

The red and white small dome shaped object is a clearance marker to show the place at which if the stock is level with it a vehicle can pass by to the point on the other line without fouling it.  They are found in a number of countries in Europe.

David

A useful feature.  I think I'll introduce something similar in my fiddleyard!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the Tyne and Wear Metro with one photo’ in Tynemouth, and the others of bridges and viaducts. The last photo’ at Gateshead of the QE2 bridge, with a northbound Metro, in August, 1982,  looking to Newcastle, is a splendid composition, and how lovely the bridge looks.

The black and white print of rebuilt Royal Scot, 6143, ‘The South Staffordshire Regiment”, on up express passenger train from Glasgow Central to Birmingham, at Carlisle Citadel station, in July, 1948, is an excellent photo’ and record of both the train and station. Thank you for posting it.

The black and white photo’s of Nottingham London Road Junction are a splendid selection and full of nostalgia. JVol5138, of Crab, 42823, on an up train of hoppers, in c1953, being a lovely three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive. The smokebox is streaked from some priming from earlier on. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Rocks by Rail at Cottesmore, in August, 1983.  C6171, of Barclay, Sir Thomas Roydon, is a superb portrait shot of the lovely locomotive.

The photo’s of two places beginning with B, Bradford Interchange and Brighton, are an excellent selection. C4837, at Brighton, of the Banjo Groyne Volks Electric Railway, from Aquarium to Black Rock, on Sunday the 9th September, 1979, is a delightful photo’ and it brings back happy memories.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of Jenbach in Austria, looking at the stock of the Achenseebahn and the Zillertalbahn. The first photo’ of Achenseebahn No 2, on the 4th August, 1991, is a superb portrait shot, from the side, of the locomotive. It shows the equipment for the rack and pinion perfectly.

The black and white print of West Country, 34003, Plymouth, on the up Devon Belle, from Ilfracombe to Waterloo, at Exeter St. Davids, in August, 1948, is a real gem, and how I wish we could go back to those days.

The photo’s on the Midland are full of interest. The first photo’ at Grindelford, with a Class 101 on a Manchester to Sheffield service, in April, 1976, is a splendid photograph of the unit, and the TSL is again a class 104 in place of a 101.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The Cumbrian Coast line this morning with trains on Arnside viaduct over the Kent estuary.

Taken on a summer's day in June 1976 which turned out to be a very hot summer.

ArnsideClass108downJune76J5284.jpg.f7b911725bc0caf35d9d437101f0314e.jpg

Arnside Class 108 down June 76 J5284

David

Your "DMU identification" skills are getting better !

Kev.

;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Cumbrian Coast line this morning with trains on Arnside viaduct over the Kent estuary.

Taken on a summer's day in June 1976 which turned out to be a very hot summer.

ArnsideClass40downhoppersJune76J5278.jpg.4fd57e50ae29fe0362425498a9238edb.jpg

Arnside Class 40 down covhops June 76 J5278

ArnsideClass108upJune76J5279.jpg.97e430b3d3138493bc6116a6d62aef97.jpg

Arnside Class 108 up June 76 J5279

ArnsideClass108upJune76J5280.jpg.553eb95c9e0e74c482b98cf3ac6c52d6.jpg

Arnside Class 108 up June 76 J5280

ArnsideClass105downJune76J5281.jpg.49417316c03ae78fbfd0d5586aebd1b3.jpg

Arnside Class 105 down June 76 J5281

ArnsideClass108downJune76J5284.jpg.f7b911725bc0caf35d9d437101f0314e.jpg

Arnside Class 108 down June 76 J5284

David

I can confirm that it was hot and dry in June 76!  A little south of Cumbria, the Bridgewater, Trent and Mersey and Shropshire Union canals were half-empty and in places the Shroppie was little more than a muddy ditch.  Very unhelpful for moving a newly launched narrowboat...

Edited by Hroth
left out a little bit!
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Cumbrian Coast line, with trains on Arnside viaduct over the Kent estuary, in June, 1976. The last photo’ of a two car Class 108, on a down service, is an excellent photo’ and it captures the full length of the viaduct perfectly.

The black and white print of B1, 61092, on an up class F, ordinary goods train, from Cambridge to Hitchin, at Hauxton crossing, in September, 1948, is a real gem of historical interest. 

The photo’s from Northumberland, at Ashington and Freeman's crossing on the Blyth and Tyne, are a superb set. The last photo’ at Freemans Crossing, with 56117, Wilton Coalpower, on a coal train to Blyth power station, on the 25th July, 1996, is a splendid three quarter portrait shot of both the 56 and its train. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

I can confirm that it was hot and dry in June 76!  A little south of Cumbria, the Bridgewater, Trent and Mersey and Shropshire Union canals were half-empty and in places the Shroppie was little more than a muddy ditch.  Very unhelpful for moving a newly launched narrowboat...

First year exams at Leeds University. What with the heat and hay fever too, not the pleasantest few weeks of my life...

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, DaveF said:

aAshingtonviewtoAshingtonSouthjuncfromLynemouthlineAshingtonHirstLaneLC12thAug85C7119.jpg.1596b755750c5e1c8e1fe070cb80582a.jpg

Ashington view to Ashington South junc from Lynemouth line Ashington Hirst Lane LC12th Aug 85 C7119

that view hasn’t changed much 

IMG_8109.png.a649daa9892df062f4a465781a1cc504.png

iirc that crossing is manned with a hand signaller, possibly a stop board before it too, done it a few times with GB when I was passing out drivers for class 60s 

• Like 5

On 09/07/2024 at 14:29, Hroth said:

I spent every day that summer on Blyth beach. 10 minute walk from my house. 5 minutes by skateboard 😆

Graeme

• Like 2
  • Funny 1