Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Dover Marine always seems to me like someone's rather over-ambitious attempt to fit as much in as possible - complicated trackwork, extremely tight radius curves and crossings, tracks going off at odd angles etc., then they put elevated walkways across it all!😄

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, keefer said:

Dover Marine always seems to me like someone's rather over-ambitious attempt to fit as much in as possible - complicated trackwork, extremely tight radius curves and crossings, tracks going off at odd angles etc.

I think you have adequately described 90% of all model railways😀

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

Chesterton Junction in June 1948.

img435.jpg.5595919c69a83ae35a60aa5f327baf0f.jpg

David

Lovely photo!

As for the camera, the Argus C3 "Brick" is one of the heaviest cameras I've ever owned, and that's comparing it with an MPP Mk VIII field camera. I don't envy your dad lugging it about!

Here's a good set of pics of the camera itself  https://shotonfilm.wordpress.com/the-cameras-2/argus-c3-the-brick/

* For interest, the MPP Mk VIII  http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/M.P.P._Micro_Technical_Mark_VIII

Edited by Hroth
Another camera link...
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from around Dover, on the 27th December, 1977. J5898, of BR Seaspeed hovercraft, is a superb composition, and shows both the hovercraft, and the white cliffs. It would make a beautiful painting.

The black and white print of class D15, 4-4-0, 2509, working an up ordinary passenger train from March to Cambridge, at Chesterton Junction, in June, 1948, is a real gem, and thank you for posting it.

The miscellaneous photo’s from Scotland are an excellent selection. J3828, at Creetown, on the Portpatrick and Wigtown Jt Rly, in July, 1974, is a most atmospheric photo’ and captures that area of Scotland perfectly.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of The Harzquerbahn in Germany, at Harzgerode, on the 7th August, 1992. C17578, of 997232, on a Harzgerode to Eisfelder Talmuhle service, is a well composed photo’ which makes the locomotive look most impressive.

The photo’s of the Midland, heading north from Leeds at Gargrave, and near Helifield, and onto the Settle and Carlisle to Culgaith, are a superb selection. The first photo’ at Gargrave, with a Class 45, on the down Thames Clyde express from St Pancras to Glasgow, in October, 1965, is a classic view of such an express, Peak hauled, over the S&C. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I grew up just round the corner. My local trainspotting base for many years.

Whereabouts? My partner and I are based in Milton and if you check out the Class 37 thread you’ll know I work next door to Coldhams Lane carriage sidings. 

As an exiled Blackcountryman I do find the railways around Cambridge rather interesting after growing up with ex LNW and GW lines quite literally on the doorstep, have to give apologies to @DaveF for slightly hijacking your thread btw, but as I say I do find it rather interesting how much a supposedly academic city has such an industrial background and was (is still) an important junction for several rail routes. 

• Like 4

A great shot of Alnmouth viaduct. barely visible from the Alnwick road because of hedges and trees.  I've only seen it once when I deliberately stopped to jump over the fence many years ago. Too much traffic to contemplate that nowadays. 

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2024 at 16:33, DaveF said:

mHellifieldClass101MorecambetoLeedsAug79J6635.jpg.601546cd2f1c542cf727dc208abecf35.jpg

near Hellifield Class 101 Morecambe to Leeds Aug 79  J6635

That looks like a Class 104 or 110 centre car (or whatever class the centre cars were allocated at that time).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Some photos of railways in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire with nothing much happening.

AlfretonviewtowardsAlfretontunnelJune69J1753.jpg.bfb3a9a38f73c1ffb4287b3fc5309687.jpg

Alfreton view towards Alfreton tunnel June 69 J1753

AnnesleyJuly76C5621lookcarefullyandyouwillseerailwaywagons.jpg.13640963d68ecfe894096f4afb980342.jpg

Annesley July 76 C5621 look carefully and you will see railway wagons

BestwoodJunctionviewnorthApr74J3661.jpg.7474ad0591934adfa24aa0434c667083.jpg

Bestwood Junction view north Apr 74 J3661

CinderhillCollieryNCBlocoindistanceOct73J3426.jpg.f4b8d4f3e583e4afe4fc083d2e6877d2.jpg

Cinderhill Colliery NCB loco in distance Oct 73 J3426

CinderhillCollierywagonsOct73J3427.jpg.101c613de491428cf7f3b2d961343148.jpg

Cinderhill Colliery wagons Oct 73 J3427

David

Amazing pictures David,  th3 top 3 are unrecognisable nowadays even though the railway is still there

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

Whereabouts? My partner and I are based in Milton and if you check out the Class 37 thread you’ll know I work next door to Coldhams Lane carriage sidings. 

As an exiled Blackcountryman I do find the railways around Cambridge rather interesting after growing up with ex LNW and GW lines quite literally on the doorstep, have to give apologies to @DaveF for slightly hijacking your thread btw, but as I say I do find it rather interesting how much a supposedly academic city has such an industrial background and was (is still) an important junction for several rail routes. 

Initially in a caravan at the back of Milton Road, near the lc. Then we moved to Scotland Road.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb and nostalgic set of photo’s from around Alnmouth in Northumberland. C5810, of a Class 40 on a down train of ICI tanks, from Haverton Hill to Grangemouth, in August, 1982, is a splendid photo’ of the 40 and it has three discs open. 

The photo’s of railways in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are an excellent selection. J3426, at Cinderhill Colliery, with an NCB loco in the distance, in October, 1973, is a great composition by your Dad. It captures how railways were at collieries very well. 

3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

That looks like a Class 104 or 110 centre car (or whatever class the centre cars were allocated at that time).

On looking at that photo’ again, it is a class 104 car. It can be seen that there are no surrounds to the windows, and the window opposite to the toilet can be seen to be frosted with no opening toplights indicating the luggage racks which were not there on a class 110 TSL.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some photos of railways in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire with nothing much happening.

David

Love all your nothing much happening photos Dave.  Too many photographers only concentrate on the usual three quarter view of a loco and never record the wider railway around them of which I find far more interesting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

In the Harzgerode photos, is that a trophy of a level crossing disagreement won in the smokebox door handrail?

Any idea what the red and white dome object between the tracks is - a signal light perhaps?

I saw a number of locos with hub caps wedged behind the smokebox handrail around that time.  I've no idea why.

The red and white small dome shaped object is a clearance marker to show the place at which if the stock is level with it a vehicle can pass by to the point on the other line without fouling it.  They are found in a number of countries in Europe.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 2