Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bob Reid said:

Spot on Keefer - has to be Diag 30 E1102, the only one to be Air Braked / Electric Heated for use in this sets.

Cheers Bob, I had in mind 1102 as it has come up before in some of  Dave's pics but there's no way I could find the previous images! For some reason though, I remembered it was an ER coach.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of three photo’s from Derby and two from Trent. C6523, at Derby, of 31190 on a down freight train, on the 28th April, 1984, is a splendid portrait shot of the 31. 

The photo’s of the Tanfield Railway, from Friday, are an excellent set. BSC_8766, at Marley Hill, Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn, 49, being a superb composition of the locomotive at rest.

The black and white photo’s at Nottingham Midland are superb and of historical significance. JVol2162, of a 2P on a down passenger train, c1952, is a real gem, and also shows the MR lower quadrant signals perfectly.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Nottingham Midland in black and white for the third batch today.

NottinghamMidland2Pdownpassc1952JVol2162.jpg.0de60969a604ce804feea903b437de58.jpg

Nottingham Midland 2P down pass c1952 JVol2162

Love the shaped sighting boards for the Midland signals

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Today's black and white photo is from Notingham Victoria in January 1948, a misty cold day.

img430.jpg.88082cd5da87a49b07756687d62101f6.jpg

David

What an evocative photo.

I had to look up the Precisia brand, a copy of  a Zeiss Ikon folder.  A step up, even with the Lumiere lens from the Penguin!

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Beier_Precisa

A handy little pocketable camera!

Looks cold and dismal, but not as bad as the big freeze of 46-47. Brrrrrrrrr...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from around Bottesford. J5993, at Bottesford West Junction, with Class 37, 37256, on a Manchester to Parkeston Quay service, in April, 1978, is a well composed photo’ of the train, with the 37 looking most impressive from that angle.

The black and white photo’ of an 04/1, 2-8-0, on a down class B express freight train, at Nottingham Victoria Station in January, 1948, is a most atmospheric photo’ from a long gone station on a freezing cold start to British Railways.

The photo’s from around Burton le Coggles, on the ECML, are a superb selection. The first photo’ of Class 47, 1581, on an up express passenger train, the 13.35 Leeds to Kings Cross, in August, 1971, is a delightful composition, and at a time when one or two carriages were still in maroon. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

C6523 - the Brush Type 2 at Derby - reminds me of a journey about that time. I worked at the railway technical centre then and had been with a colleague to Bromsgrove to inspect some wagons with experimental brake blocks that had worked there. 40 years ago services from Bromsgrove were spartan so we were unsure about how we were to get back to Derby. Fortunately the crew of the 31 that was taking the oil tanks north from the terminal there were happy to give us a lift and, as we had cab passes, we were happy to take advantage. It was of course a standing start from the bottom of the Lickey. About half way up the driver passed my colleague a rolled up newspaper with the instruction to get ready. A few moments later the fire alarm bell started to ring. 'Shove it in the clapper mate, they all do that here!' was the instruction. We made it to Derby without being incinerated! Happy days!

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Cracking photos as always Dave! Suspect your 37 at Bottesford on the Parkeston Quay - Manchester is 37266 not 37256 … the give away is the extra bracket above the headcode box fitted to D6960-8, the batch of Stratford locos often see on this service.

HTH

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

FerryhillJunctionClass47EdinburghtoAberdeenAug74J3925.jpg.a0ccf0179d1761c0f2ff42dda12c951a.jpg

Ferryhill Junction Aberdeen Class 47 Edinburgh to Aberdeen Aug 74 J3925

GUV at the front and two Mk1 sleepers bringing up the rear.  What a great train to model. 

It looks like it has yet to cross the Dee viaduct, so probably best described as Craiginches Yard rather than Ferryhill.  Although that totally destroys the "F" theme.

Steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 55020 said:

GUV at the front and two Mk1 sleepers bringing up the rear.  What a great train to model. 

It looks like it has yet to cross the Dee viaduct, so probably best described as Craiginches Yard rather than Ferryhill.  Although that totally destroys the "F" theme.

Steve

Yes, it looks as though it was taken from the Wellington Road bridge, facing East.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

From the WTT pages at Napier Chronicles: 

1S77 23:15 King's Cross - Aberdeen, "The Night Capitals".

So it has come from Edinburgh but it's not an Edinburgh-Aberdeen train - that would've had a 1Axx headcode with probably just the '1' displayed.

This is 1Sxx so has come from outside the ScR. Also, it was only really the inter-regional trains that were guaranteed to have the full headcode displayed, 1E/M/O/Vxx south- and 1Sxx northbound.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The UK is being overgrown in general.

I drive about in Manchester and notice how many road signs are now hidden by trees and bushes, thankfully I know where I am going but if I didn't and had no satnav I'd be at a loss sometimes.  It's the same with speed signs, I wonder how the enforcement of speeding goes if the signs are not clearly showing so you don't know the speed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

@DaveF

It's good that you're now able to get out and about, it'll do so much for your overall well-being. 

Having also had health issues that have had me 'out of the game' for weeks/months, I know how simply being able to get out of the house can help speed up recovery & lift your mood.

Best wishes for your continued better health!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

@DaveF

It's good that you're now able to get out and about, it'll do so much for your overall well-being. 

Having also had health issues that have had me 'out of the game' for weeks/months, I know how simply being able to get out of the house can help speed up recovery & lift your mood.

Best wishes for your continued better health!

Thanks very much.  Although I've been out and about for some time these two railway photographic trips have been the first time I've really enjoyed being out and haven't felt anxious as to whether I am doing too much.  At long last!!

David

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly I am glad you are feeling better and more confident about going out and photographing railways once more.

Now that’s a great selection of photo’s of places beginning with "F". J5106, of Fledborough viaduct, LD&ECR, in April, 1976, is a delightful composition of the viaduct. If somehas enough room it would make a lovely model.

The photo’s, taken today, at Damdykes are an excellent set, and BSC_8786 of GBRF 66712, and at rear, 60026, Lynemouth Power station, on the 09.15 to Tyne Coal terminal, is a superb photo’ and shows the 66 very well indeed.

The photo’s of Little Ponton, Peterborough and Sutton Bridge are a superb selection. C1712, at Peterborough, with 31219 and another one, on a Skegness to Kings Cross service, on the 27th July, 1974, is a splendid shot, and shows the varied condition of the 31, with the first 31 being a well weathered example. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

pPeterboroughClass105NorwichtoPeterborough27thJuly74C1726.jpg.4f5779d2f609f934967602d8c0bd9841.jpg

Peterborough Class 105 Norwich to Peterborough 27th July 74 C1726

Great shot for little extra details like the 'LW' in the Blue Squares and the set/duty numbers in the window.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1