Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Morning David,  as no points seem visible on the pier railway was it worked as 2 single lines

Must have been quite a system back then as one of the cars is number 28

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, russ p said:

Morning David,  as no points seem visible on the pier railway was it worked as 2 single lines

Must have been quite a system back then as one of the cars is number 28

Pre-86 re-opening, it was double track throughout with a scissors crossover either end slightly out from the stations to facilitate the peak four train working method - one train would arrive each end as another was departing.

There were 28 cars in all of the 1949 stock, enough for four trains of 7-cars.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Southend cliff railway Oct 74 J4077

A contender for the world’s shortest cliff railway, perhaps? 

• Like 3

I liked to see the Southend  peir line when I first went on there it was on open stock with a high step up and later the new stock came along and it was a new exerpience we were protected from the wind and rain. Nowadays the end of peir looks bleak but the RNLI  building is a good quality  building  in keeping the style of the other structures there are two launch devices here plus crew rooms etc .Athe town end of the pier there is a museum with older stock on view ,At ground level is the main RNLI building from here the hovercraft is launched plus a very good meeting room where we had youth education meetings  plus crew rooms and management rooms.   Southend is brilliant place to go to ,the Kirsal was where the fantastic entertaiment took place plus the street to the front from the station has some interesting shops.  We used to go by bus from South      Benfleet or we would catch a train for Southend .For many years I spent my summer holidays in South Benfleet   and wandered all over having fun part of which I went to Canvey Island by bus   .Happy days  glad I was able to experience my young days the late forties and fifties  it was fantastic then ,thanks for the photos.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

They spent a lot of their time surfing.

I think most regular readers of this thread will be aware of your parents' amazing achievements (particularly your Mum's) but this new mention is the cherry on an already impressive cake! 😊

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Southend, with some of the pier railway, a ship and the cliff railway. J4078, of the pierhead pier station, with cars 7 and 28, in October, 1974, is a superb composition of the station and the two trains. 

The black and white photo’s of SR class N, 1407, working the Padstow to Waterloo portion of the ACE, at Halwill Junction in August, 1947, being a truly superb photo’. Thank you for posting it.

The photo’s at Ratcliffe on Soar are a delightful selection. J4152, of a Class 45, on a Sheffield to St Pancras express in March, 1975, being an excellent shot of a typical Midland express train from the mid 1970’s. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A black and white photo at Loughborough from September 1947.

img426.jpg.634ac67741cd2a1577486cdc98ed3dd9.jpg

David

That's a cracking shot of your dad's. If this is Sept 1947, what is on the 2P's tender?

Always interesting to get a feel for what popped up on these relief expresses, or what was being used in extremis.

Prior to preservation, MR Compound 41000 found itself covering for a failure on a Manchester-  St Pancras express as late as March 1950.

Thanks,

Simon

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, 65179 said:

That's a cracking shot of your dad's. If this is Sept 1947, what is on the 2P's tender?

Always interesting to get a feel for what popped up on these relief expresses, or what was being used in extremis.

Prior to preservation, MR Compound 41000 found itself covering for a failure on a Manchester-  St Pancras express as late as March 1950.

Thanks,

Simon

I did wonder that but the notes are in Dad's writing.  I would have said perhaps early 1948.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s on the Selketalbahn (part of the Harzquerbahn network) in Germany, on the 7th August, 1992. C17559, at Alexisbad, of 99 7240, on a Harzgerode to Eisfelder Talmühle service, is a most impressive frontal shot of the locomotive.

The black and white print of 2P, 324, piloting a 4P 3 cylinder compound, 4-4-0, on a Manchester to St. Pancras special up express train, in September, probably 1948, at Loughborough, is a real gem, and a valuable historical record.

The photo’s of the ECML at Morpeth are an excellent selection. C6314, of an HST on a down express passenger train, in October, 1983, is a splendid composition of the iconic train. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C5605 reminds me why there weren't any 100mph Mk1s available for the Deltic farewell run on 4/1/82 - their water tanks had frozen and burst.

• Like 2

Oh my god, the dreaded 193! Absolutely awful thing, which I had to fire a few times. I had a great respect for these engines as I lived about a mile from Bickershaw Colliery and saw Fred Larner with No. 7 take 11 loaded MGRs over the Bickershaw Alps. But 193 was different animal altogether.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David 

Hope the bloke in C4832 closes his mouth as the train gets going or he's going to swallow a lot of flies! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

In the 70s and 80s days when Deb and I were regularly at Church Stretton, I would clutter off to the SVR, while she and a number of others took their horses up over the Long Mynd. The SVR had a lot of appeal, albeit with motive power not so familiar to this Southerner. The ability to walk around the shed etc was reminiscent of early '60s schoolboy shed-bashing. On my last visit a decade ago, I found a railway that seemed just as professional but had had to move with the times, both to make money and to comply with legislation. Still a good place to be. 

• Like 10