Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

13 hours ago, DaveF said:

CarnforthBarclayTobyexBritishGypsumFeb73C1182.jpg.75c7bc9e231c8f0d9da908cea20cc8e0.jpg

Carnforth Barclay Toby ex British Gypsum Feb 73 C1182

Hi David, That's David. Ex Millom ironworks, now at Lakeside and Haverthwaite.

Kind regards Ian 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 11B said:

Hi David, That's David. Ex Millom ironworks, now at Lakeside and Haverthwaite.

Kind regards Ian 

Thanks Ian,

I've changed the caption.

David

C6335 'ano' looks like its a Ruston Hornsby 165HP loco (can just make out the coupling rods) of the earlier style (later ones had raked cab fronts). Probably the diesel mechanical version as you can (I think) just make out the rearwards connecting rod to the jackshaft.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, the East Boldon shot brought a lot of memories, my late pal Plum (Keith Plumpton) became the signalman there so we spent time there and Tile Sheds as kids trainspotting, and later (shh) in the box with him. He died sadly young of natural causes, we were the same age.

I enjoyed the early Carnforth shots too, I recall visiting there in the 70's and seeing the two German locos and the French pacific in steam, must have been some kind of a gala day.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

C6335 'ano' looks like its a Ruston Hornsby 165HP loco (can just make out the coupling rods) of the earlier style (later ones had raked cab fronts). Probably the diesel mechanical version as you can (I think) just make out the rearwards connecting rod to the jackshaft.

Many thanks, I've added the info to the caption.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of the Tyne at Dunston with one at East Boldon on the line to Sunderland. The last photo’ at East Boldon, with two two car Class 101’s on a Sunderland to Newcastle service, on the 23rd June, 1984, is a superb reminder of how many local services used to be until the second generation units came along.

The ECML photo’s at Buston Barns, and a little further south Warkworth, are a superb set. The last photo’ at Warkworth, with a Class 40, on an up freightliner, in August, 1980, is a superbly composed shot of the 40 looking most imposing from that angle. 

The black and white print of LNER A3, 81, Shotover, on the down Flying Scotsman, at York, in May, 1947, is a beautiful photo’ of the A3 on the world famous train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

BustonBarnsClass254downAberdonianandClass254upFlyingScotsman19thOct85C7239.jpg.0b956538fd14ac5195c25ba0ded4161f.jpg

Buston Barns Class 254 down Aberdonian and Class 254 up Flying Scotsman 19th Oct 85 C7239

Great timing there. Looks like you may have caught two 'Universities' the nearest being 43153 University of Durham, and possibly 43056 University of Bradford, going on the emblem on the nameplate looking less colourful than 'County' ones which were 053 Humberside and 104 Cleveland.

Oh, and I thought you were going for a hat-trick of 47s in that post, but after 471 and 472, there was no 473....

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, DaveF said:

Now for today's black and white print.  This is one of Dad's early railway photos, he was 20 when he took it.  I think he came back to England from India the previous year and then started taking photos.

img424.jpg.aa15c1c9ddf8718250b7bcc8699252d7.jpg

David

Probably the best you could expect for a Kershaw Penguin. They were a pretty basic camera!

https://cameragocamera.com/2020/02/08/kershaw-eight-20-penguin/

As could be said, any photo is better than no photo at all.

That said, looking at the photo of the "Penguin", I think I bought one from a charity shop years ago, before they started pricing with reference to ebay.  I don't think I ever actually ran film through it, but it'll be "in store" somewhere....

Edited by Hroth
More thoughts on Penguins...
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic set of photo’s of the Midland at Kibworth and Kimbolton. J3176, at Kibworth North, with Class 45 151, on a down express, in April, 1973, is a superb composition, and a classic Midland express. The 45 has a bare looking frame to the secondman’s windscreen, and the characters in the headcode box are variable in visibility. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I am sorry you are not feeling well. I hope you will recover from the IBS quickly. Please don’t feel under pressure to resume posting photo’s. We can all enjoy what you have aleady posted, it is a real treasure trove of railway history.

Those are a lovely and atmospheric set of photo’s of Ribblehead. I particularly like the last one of LNER V2 4771 Green Arrow, on the The Norfolkman, on the 25th March, 1978. 

Very best wishes,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J253 may well feature a Jubilee rather than a Black 5, going by the profile of the chimney. The length of the tender sugests that it's a Stanier 3500 gallon type.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather, David. You may have seen, in the BBC News, today, that scientists have identified a defective gene, common to 95% of studied sufferers of IBS. Medical trials have been successful - although not yet on humans, meaning that there won't be any progress any time soon. ☹️

I hope that you will soon be back to as near full health as any of us can get, at our ages! 😀

• Like 2