Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of the Bluebell Railway, in the mid 70’s. In the last photo’, at Holywell, with SECR Class C, 592, on a Sheffield Park to Horsted Keynes train, on the 26th December, 1976, you have taken a superb, and well composed shot. The steam and smoke are well lit by the low December sun.

The photo’s of just to the south of Newark, and then North Muskham, and then Gamston, are a delightful selection. In C1734, at North Muskham, with a Class 47, on an up express passenger train, on the 3rd August, 1974, you have taken a splendid three quarter head on shot of the train. 

That’s a terrific set of photo’s from Yorkshire, at Starbeck, Harrogate and the remains at Pateley Bridge. In J282, at Harrogate Goods, with a Class 08 and a van, in August, 1965, your Dad has captured an excellent view of a goods yard being shunted. It is something that is not seen anymore. The last photo’, at Pateley Bridge, in March, 1968, is such a sad scene. The signalbox is looking sad and forgotten about with the end of all services and the tracks ripped up. 

Finally, the photo’s of Southern emu’s are a great selection. In the last photo’, at Swale, with 2HAP, 6076, on a Sittingborne to Sheerness service, in May, 1975, that’s an evocative view, and how times have changed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

C2685 - Easter 1976 was the weekend of 18th April, so 1S93 would be an Easter relief. The Eastern Region tradition at that time was to number scheduled reliefs using the standard reporting format (1Axx, 1Dxx, 1Lxx, 1Nxx, 1Sxx etc.) but utilising the 80 and 90 series (as opposed to using 1Zxx or 1Gxx).

J1219/1220 - I was up in Pateley Bridge about fifteen months ago, for a long weekend, staying in a property behind those pictured behind the station buildings, to the left, in J1220. That area has (understandably) been redeveloped significantly, with a footpath and access road, along with some new properties, along the old track formation and a public car park at the far end of the site, as viewed in J1220. The station buildings are privately owned and beautifully restored but their origins can clearly be seen. To the right of J1219 and to the left of J1220 runs the River Nidd, on its way to Knaresborough and the River Ouse.

J1221 - I don't think that there is any remaining trace of the box. I certainly can't recall seeing it.

Unfortunately, I didn't take my digital SLR with me that weekend and didn't think to use my phone camera!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Was going to suggest a relief/extra for 1S93 as I have an ScR WTT for 1976 and it doesn't appear. As 35A says, the highest number trains in that are 1S7x for some Sleepers.

Another factor is that the (long) train is all Mk1 coaches.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. The of assortment of Scottish photo’s are superb. The first photo’, at Haymarket, 27041 and breakdown coach, on the 11th October, 1986, is an excellent photo’, and it can be seen that a class 101 DTSL is coupled to the breakdown coach. 

The photo’s of the Grantham to Nottingham line, at Bottesford and Radcliffe on Trent, are a delightful set. In the first photo’, at Bottesford West Junction, of two Class 20’s and a brake van, in January, 1970, that’s a well composed photo’ by your Dad, of a snowy scene and the two 20’s are both well weathered.

The photo’s of Switzerland at Brienz, on the Brienzer See, on the 13th August, 1991, are an excellent and atmospheric selection. In the first photo’ of BRB H11/3, 6, you have taken a beautifully composed shot of the locomotive. 

Finally, the photo’s of Crewe on 13th March, 1971, are a splendid set. In the last photo’, with Class 50's, 439 & 424, coming on to a train for Glasgow, that’s a superb portrait shot of the 50’s. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Grantham to Nottingham line again at Bottesford and Radcliffe on Trent.

daBottesfordWestJunction2Class20sandbrakevanJan70C197.jpg.372ef777784419967d91d417ff894e73.jpg

Bottesford West Junction 2 Class 20s and brake van Jan 70 C197

David

The more I look at this picture the more I am convinced that the Class 20's are propelling the brake van towards the junction. I take it that is the signal box in the distance and is at the same location as today (looking on google maps). The signal is clear for the main and it looks like the train is on the furthest track or is the train working on the wrong road or has the picture been uploaded back to front, I'm just intrigued.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, jcarta said:

David

The more I look at this picture the more I am convinced that the Class 20's are propelling the brake van towards the junction. I take it that is the signal box in the distance and is at the same location as today (looking on google maps). The signal is clear for the main and it looks like the train is on the furthest track or is the train working on the wrong road or has the picture been uploaded back to front, I'm just intrigued.

According to my notes made on the day they were propelling the brake van heading east along the main line.  The photo is the right way round - I have checked - and the headcode numbers are the right way round.

It could have been a propelling movement to Belvoir Junction, a short distance further east.  With the signal off for the main line it will not have been a move onto the Newark line.  I am fairly sure I saw the move at other times, but never photographed it.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

That's dedication, taking photos in the pouring rain. They are very good considering how poor the light must have been.

Jonathan

Rain never bothered me (and still doesn't), as long as I can keep the camera dry.  If you only take photos in good weather you can miss a lot of interesting workings.

1 hour ago, keefer said:

That's some DMU lash-up,I didn't think the 118s ever escaped from the WR!🙂

It was a time when Heaton was very short of serviceable dmus so they begged, borrowed etc from anywhere who still had some.

David

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Some black and white photos around Rugby - once again courtesy of Dad's track permit.

Rugby4FspecialfromPeterboroughareac1952JVol2015.jpg.9a285ee70fa9a71b42aafe189062fa0a.jpg

Rugby 4F  special from Peterborough area c1952 JVol2015

Rugby42576uppassc1952Vol2022.jpg.bcbd90faaa73c866362a9f9d9e7b3f04.jpg

Rugby 42576 up pass c1952 Vol2022

RugbyBrittania70031ByronupMancunianc1952JVol2018.jpg.98cc818fada11f093c76cc80a8460ede.jpg

Rugby Brittania 70031 Byron up Mancunian c1952 JVol2018

RugbyClass545431downexpassc1954JVol2003.jpg.ac57491ffac3292cbead33b05412da3a.jpg

Rugby Class 5 45431 down ex pass c1954 JVol2003

RugbyG2adowngoodsc1951JVol7110.jpg.808f614a8eeae8d20e4132845ac611ed.jpg

Rugby G2a down goods c1951 JVol7110

David

Another great set of 'local' pics for me Dave - in the first shot, the 4F is on the Down Northampton line, in the third shot, the Black 5 is on the Down Market Harborough line, having just crossed the golf course on the lofty viaduct. These two lines converged into a double slip on the flyover before descending down into Rugby Midland station on the north side of Clifton Road bridge.

The lattice girder bridge being crossed by the Black 5 wasn't removed until about 1980, roughly thirteen years after the Market Harborough line was lifted. It closed on 6th June 1966 but was mothballed for a while, allowing Stanley Baker's production company 'Oakhurst' to shoot some scenes for his film 'Robbery' on the line in March and April of '67.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Carlisle. In the first photo’, of 40122 D200, on a Carlisle to Leeds service, on the 26th August, 1986, that’s an excellent photo’, well composed, and captures the reflection of the 40 perfectly in the wet platform surface. Note the incorrectly folded discs. 

The photo’s from around the east of England are a superb set. In J2453, at Somersham, GN and GE joint, in November, 1970, that’s an excellent photo’, and it shows that the track was lifted prior to removing things like the telegraph poles, signal posts, etc.,  I’m sure it usually happened the other way round when dismantling a closed railway. 

What a delightful and inspiring selection of black and white photo’s from around Rugby. In JVol2018, of Brittania, 70031, Byron, on the up Mancunian, in c1952, your Dad has taken a splendid and well composed shot. The train is a mixture of quite new BR Mkl’s and Stanier stock.

Finally, the photo’s of the Great Central, are an excellent and nostalgic set. In J027, at Wilford Brickworks signal box, with a V2, on an up fitted freight, in January, 1963, your Dad has taken a truly superb shot of the V2, covered in grime, as it accelerates it’s train in the freezing cold and snowy conditions of that very severe winter. I can’t help noticing that the snow has imparted a cross eyed look to the buffers! 

And that last photo’ at East Leake, with a Class 104 unit, on a Rugby to Arkwright Street service, in April, 1969, on enlarging the photo’ is actually a hybrid set, of a class 104/2 DMBS, then a class 105 TCL, and the rear car is a class 105/1, DMCL.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2