Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

12 ton with an M prefix number. RCH oil axleboxes. It's an LMS medium open of the type represented by the Ratio kit. What diagram is that?

Sorry, my brain fade - its a medium not a low. But solid spoke wheels which is what made me think it was older. 
somehow it looks a bit spindly compared to later designs, certainly it’s unfitted. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mol_PMB said:

Sorry, my brain fade - its a medium not a low. But solid spoke wheels which is what made me think it was older. 
somehow it looks a bit spindly compared to later designs, certainly it’s unfitted. 

What was a lowsided wagon in Midland-speak was a medium in LMS speak.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some photos of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway for this morning.

Grosmont Q6 3395 June 71 C652  Modellers should note the prominent moulding line along the top of the boiler cladding!

David

The vast majority of steam locos are like that. If the cladding didn't have a join they would only be able to slide it on from one end! Up the top is the best place to put it: relatively easy to get to when maintenance it needed but also happens to be where it won't easily be seen.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

That's not Waggoner, David, it is RSH 'Ugly' 62.  It was owned at the time of the photo by my bestie John Boyes (not the photographer one, but the owner of Trackshack one!) he took it there from the East Lancs. 

I'll show him this photo, he's just had some horrendous spinal surgery but is recovering well, he'll be pleased to see it.  He sold 62 to buy into a share of Taw Valley, but that's another story entirely.

Thanks for pointing that out Neil, I've corrected the caption.  40 years ago when I catalogued the photo I must have assumed which loco it was - it is much easier now to get it right (supposedly) though I still get some wrong when I go the Tanfield Railway and take photos of their unrestored stock.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

12 ton with an M prefix number. RCH oil axleboxes. Morton brake gear with the hrake shoes on the side with the reversing cam. It's an LMS medium open of the type represented by the Ratio kit. What diagram is that?

D1927 by the look of it as it's marked 12T.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2024 at 13:29, Oldddudders said:

The Messerschmitt of the same era may not have had a reverse gear. ISTR M-i-L (Deb's mum, not Sherry's) had had one many years ago. I think she had to sit astride to drive/ride it. 

I think I've told the story of a guy I worked with who had a Messerschmitt (or the one that was a top -opener) with no reverse; he drove into his lean - to garage, found that the roof was too low, couldn't reverse, and was stuck there for several hours.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a superb selection of photo’s of the Midland Railway at Butterley and Swanwick Junction. The first photo’ at Butterley, of MR 673, in steam, on the 27th May, 1978, is a stunning shot of the beautiful MR ‘Spinner’ as I understand they were known as.

The photo’s from September 2014, at Acton Bridge, Warrington and one other place, are a fascinating set. Indeed, DSC_4296, of the Anderton Boat Lift, on the 28th September, 2014, is a remarkable and excellent photo’ of something which I have not seen before. It would make a most interesting model.

That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of places from C to E. J3350, of Denton School crossing, on the Newcastle to Carlisle line, in August, 1973, is an excellent photo’ and has plenty of details to help modellers of the NER of BR.

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Nice to see Cramlington. I've passed through countless times on the edinburgh Kings x trains for work but only ever twice caught trains to newcastle from there when I was younger. It always worked out easier to park somewhere near Osborne road in Jesmond and get the metro from West Jesmond if we were heading into town. 

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of Austria at Nenzing, in 1990, and 1991. The first photo’ of Class 4020 on a Bludenz to Feldkirch service on the left and 1044 073 plus 1044 083 EC Dachstein Basel and Lindau to Graz and Klagenfurt service on the right, on the 5th August, 1990, is an excellent shot of a busy moment. 

The photo’s of Cramlington on the 30th July, 2016, are a fantstic selection. BSC_1001 of 91111 on train, 1S15 Kings Cross to Edinburgh at 14.52, is a beautifully composed photo’ as the 91 passes under the footbridge. 

The Midland Railway photo’ between Hammersmith and Butterley, and the assortment of photo’s are all of interest. J091, of Swithland sidings, with a 9F on an up freight train, in January, 1964, is truly superb and full of atmosphere. Thank you for posting it.

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

This evening's batch starts with one of the Midland Railway between Hammersmith and Butterley which I forgot to post yesterday and then another assortment of places.

Hammersmith16440Aug82C5851.jpg.c3f6df29b67c7d80798c94ff14540c18.jpg

Hammersmith 16440  Aug 82 C5851

MoiraMRsiteofstationMay69J1697.jpg.779a89613056ab85e0894cf6b5d31382.jpg

Moira MR site of station May 69 J1697

PyeBridgeClass40upballastJuly76C2840.jpg.b77ba32bff1a28a443257b80898ab8dc.jpg

Pye Bridge Class 40 up ballast July 76 C2840

SmeafieldClass3131178downfreightMay74J3695.jpg.2c832cf05b4fbf687eb8aa890abe022b.jpg

Smeafield Class 31 31178 down freight May 74 J3695  Just north of Belford on the ECML in Northumberland.

Swithlandsidings9FupfreightJan64J091.jpg.f7a56e9ec8959aa0cb4e542bf5e40aa6.jpg

Swithland sidings 9F up freight Jan 64 J091  This was taken in BR days, not preservation days.

SystonClass255250CambridgetoBirminghamJuly71J2709.jpg.93072a269f6cbac524618ded2b871e17.jpg

Syston Class 25 5250 Cambridge to Birmingham July 71 J2709

David

J2709 Midland Railway distant on the down goods line

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of preserved, closed and working railways. The first photo’ of Blackham's Hill, on the Bowes Railway, of Barclay WST, on the 27th May, 1991, is a superb shot of the engine.

The photo’s of the Bluebell Railway  are a superb selection. The first photo’ at Holywell, of SECR Class C, 592, on a Sheffield Park to Horsted Keynes service, in December, 1975, is a well composed shot of the, and the Class C is shining in the low December sun.

The black and white photo’s from around Cambridge are an excellent set. JVol3222, of B2, 61671, Royal Sovereign, on an up Buffet Express to Kings Cross, in c1948, is superb, and it can be seen that the 1’s to denote first class are on the upper panels on the doors rather than the more usual lower panels.

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1