Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, dagrizz said:

I have a picture of the rail taxi at Gloddfa Ganol. Taken in 1979, I think.

m1.jpg.eda49df79411d5b5a792ef0599fb53f4.jpg

Graham

That actually is an Isetta 

The has been one on hubnut recently and it had a reverse gear

Is it an urban myth that they didn't have a reverse gear or did early ones not have them

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, russ p said:

Is it an urban myth that they didn't have a reverse gear or did early ones not have them

A schoolmate had a bubble car - can't remember which make - that did indeed have a reverse gear. He had to disable that by wedging a cork into the gate so that he could drive it as a 16-year-old on a motor bike licence.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

A friend of mine told me that his bubble car didn't have a revise gear; you had to physically lift the car.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

They did that on Top Gear many years ago - James drove right up to a wall (as if driving into a garage) and he couldn't get out, no reverse gear and couldn't open the front door.

Can't remember the make of it though.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The Messerschmitt of the same era may not have had a reverse gear. ISTR M-i-L (Deb's mum, not Sherry's) had had one many years ago. I think she had to sit astride to drive/ride it. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the Tanfield Railway, on the 17th June, 2017. BSC_3879, at Marley Hill, of Hawthorn Leslie, 2, is a superb composition and full of atmosphere. Thank you for posting it.

The assortment of photo’s of Scotland are delightful, full of Scottish atmosphere. The second photo’, near Reston, of a down Voyager, on the 15th June, 2014, is a lovely ’train in the landscape’ shot. Just such beautiful scenery.

The photo’s of Carlisle are full of interest, with the last photo’ of Class 108  units, ecs, in process of moving to bay platform on the 27th October, 1987, an excellent capture of those three twin units making plenty of exhaust in the process. 

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Border Reiver said:

C9110 the train is heading north on platform 3

Oops!  Many thanks.  Caption now amended.

David

19 hours ago, keefer said:

They did that on Top Gear many years ago - James drove right up to a wall (as if driving into a garage) and he couldn't get out, no reverse gear and couldn't open the front door.

Can't remember the make of it though.

We did that to a lad at college.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Messerschmitt of the same era may not have had a reverse gear. ISTR M-i-L (Deb's mum, not Sherry's) had had one many years ago. I think she had to sit astride to drive/ride it. 

My Dad had a Messerschmitt. It didn't have a reverse gear, but you could reverse it.. by actuating a switch which changed the ignition timing so the engine ran in reverse (after stopping and re-starting the engine).

Hence the car could in theory go as fast in reverse as it did forwards!

It had 2 conventional seats, in line, the passenger sat behind the driver, not side by side.      

Capture9.PNG

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Barcaldinegoods said:

My Dad had a Messerschmitt. It didn't have a reverse gear, but you could reverse it.. by actuating a switch which changed the ignition timing so the engine ran in reverse (after stopping and re-starting the engine).

Hence the car could in theory go as fast in reverse as it did forwards!

It had 2 conventional seats, in line, the passenger sat behind the driver, not side by side.      

Capture9.PNG

Like the Lightburn Zeta, an Australian car with a reversible engine. The Messerschmidt shows its origins from an aircraft maker, it's effectively a 2 seat aircraft cockpit. A sixth former at school had one, plastered with stickers for his band ABOTO (A Bit Of The Other). If I remember correctly there was another bubble car with a front opening door, 2 seater side by side made by Heinkel - another ex plane maker post WW2.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The last photo’ is especially evocative, at Beckholes, with J72, 69023 and Hunslet, 92, Waggoner, on a Grosmont to Pickering service, on the 29th April, 1984. 

The photo’s from Wales are an excellent selection. What a truly stunning photo’, C274, on Snowdon, on the 23rd August, 1970, is. The train, in the distance, with such lovely Welsh scenery. A beautiful composition.

The black and white photo’s of Nottingham Victoria are a splendid and historical set.  JVol3021, of J5, 65493, shunting, in c1952, is superb and thank you for posting it.

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

BeckholesJ72 69023 and Hunslet 92 Waggoner Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6484

David

That's not Waggoner, David, it is RSH 'Ugly' 62.  It was owned at the time of the photo by my bestie John Boyes (not the photographer one, but the owner of Trackshack one!) he took it there from the East Lancs. 

I'll show him this photo, he's just had some horrendous spinal surgery but is recovering well, he'll be pleased to see it.  He sold 62 to buy into a share of Taw Valley, but that's another story entirely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Jvol3021 - an elderly looking LMS low behind the loco, almost certainly a pre-grouping design. Is it a Midland wagon @Compound2632 or from another constituent? 

12 ton with an M prefix number. RCH oil axleboxes. Morton brake gear with the hrake shoes on the side with the reversing cam. It's an LMS medium open of the type represented by the Ratio kit. What diagram is that?

Edited by Compound2632