Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of Lincolnshire and one from South Yorkshire. I particularly like C3501, at Lincoln St Marks, with a Class 120, ecs, on the 13th August, 1977. It’s a perfect composed photo’ of the somewhat careworn unit.

The photo’s of the ECML in the far north of England and the extreme south of Scotland are an excellent selection. The first photo’ of Berwick on Tweed, with a Class 47 on an up express passenger train in August, 1977 - from the Tweedmouth side of the River Tweed, is a splendid shot, which shows how lovely the viaduct looks. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, DaveF said:

BerwickonTweedClass45downMay74J3705.jpg.9a90745a6b19b31a95a2f7547759fb6e.jpg

Berwick on Tweed Class 40? down May 74 J3705

I remember watching the trains, standing at the fence on the left, when on holiday in the mid-late 70s.

Particularly recall a southbound cl.47 with sparks coming off the brake blocks as it slowed for the station.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Some pictures on and to do with the Southern this evening.

The first three are at Newhaven in March 1964, I was 14 then and Dad had just dropped me off to catch the boat to France, I was then going to Dieppe on the ferry, Paris on the train, cross Paris and meet friends there, then train to Toulouse overnight and on to Albi.  The reverse journey from Albi was completely by myself.  Back then no one thought it unusual unlike now - Mum and Dad would probably have had social services after them if they allowed me to do it at that age now.  Back then I had a friend at school who lived with his grandparents in term time, each holidays he flew to Hong Kong to be with his parents - all by himself.

Hi David - that brings back memories for me too. When I was 14 (I'm 5 years older than you) I was sent on a French exchange all by myself. Parents took me to Victoria to catch the service to Paris, overnight stay there and onwards to Montauban in the South the following day. Returning 3 weeks later but by overnight train to Paris, the train was delayed and I missed the connection back to the UK.  Had to re-arrange it myself and then send a telegram to my parents to say I'd be on a later train!  No mobiles or such like in 1959. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

A wonderful set of photos! Super view of the blue containers - what was SN I wonder?

And the combination of locos, carriages and liveries in the early Bluebell photos are topical. Anyone not liking the shade of the SECR carriage models can just use a BR blue Mk1 instead...

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic selection of photo’s of Switzerland south of the Gotthard Pass today at Lugano, on the 30th July, 1988. The first photo’ of Re6/6, 11633, on a southbound freight, is an excellent three quarter shot of the locomotive. 

The Southern photo’s with the first three at Newhaven in March 1964, and then Ramsgate and the Bluebell Railway, are a superb set. The last photo’ at Holywell, on the Bluebell Railway, of SECR C Class 592, in December, 1975, is a most atmospheric shot.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, in 1973 and 1975. The first photo’ at Haverthwaite, of Renishaw Ironworks No 6, a Hudswell Clarke tank engine, in February, 1973, is a delightful shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s of Bottesford between Grantham and Nottingham are a fantastic selection. C5672, of 20073 and another one on a Nottingham to Skegness express, in May, 1982, is a most nostalgic photo’ of the train. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ray M said:

C5670.

Is that a red bufferbeam on a blue 20 ?

IT is indeed red,  I think I saw a few like that about the time I took that photo.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

BarassiedmuAyrtoGlasgowCJuly74J3841.jpg.3c586e3792b3ce0ff233dda41805a5c8.jpg

Barassie dmu Ayr to Glasgow C July 74 J3841

Two cl.126 DMUs there but coupled DMBS to DMBS, so no through access from one unit to the other (note the DMS, with gangway, at the rear).

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Wansford on the Nene Valley Railway in 1977 and 1978. I particularly like C3526, of Swedish Class S, 1178, in August, 1977, a superb three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive.

The random selection of Scottish locations are most interesting and scenic. J3948, at Clachnaharry, of the Caledonian canal swing bridge, HR, in August, 1974, is an excellent composition of the bridge, signalbox, and crossing. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2024 at 16:37, DaveF said:

Bottesford20073andanoNottinghamtoSkegnessMay82C5672.jpg.4cfa894c9e8f8cc18f5923b27b65d460.jpg

Bottesford 20073 and ano Nottingham to Skegness May 82 C5672

This would have been the start of the 1982 season. If this was Spring Bank Holiday Monday (31st May) then the rear loco would be 20 183, on 1E86, the 08:20 Leicester to Skegness - although this pair replaced the original pair at Nottingham. There's no record of either loco working on 29th or 30th May.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Barkston Class 55 D9017 up Sept 68 J1425 08.00 Edinburgh to Kings X

I don't think it’s 17, David. The pattern of words on the nameplate matches D9010, THE KING’S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERER. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

I don't think it’s 17, David. The pattern of words on the nameplate matches D9010, THE KING’S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERER. 

Don't ask me why I typed 7!

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the ECML at Barkston. C179, of two Class 20s on an eastbound freight, in November, 1969, on line to Sleaford etc, is a most atmospheric shot of ‘a train in the landscape’. 

The photo’s from around the Midland Railway are an excellent selection. J1164, at Bell Busk, of Britannia, 70023, on a down train of vans, in October, 1967, is a truly superb and atmospheric shot. Thank you for posting it.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1