Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Donington Road said:

You are not alone Jim, I can't get my head around it either.  The road on Google maps from Loch Watenan through the 90° bend past the house with the red facia boards (Station Masters House?) is on a rising gradient, whereas Dave's photo shows a dip in the road (presumeably where the railway crossed) rising on both sides.

It is just a bit too far on my push bike to go and investigate so could you please put us out of our misery Dave.

I will try but it's one of Dad's photos so I too will have to look it up - I am assuming he got the place right and it is not somewhere else on the line.  I went there once in the late 60s but didn't take photos!

It may be tomorrow though.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Donington Road said:

You are not alone Jim, I can't get my head around it either.  The road on Google maps from Loch Watenan through the 90° bend past the house with the red facia boards (Station Masters House?) is on a rising gradient, whereas Dave's photo shows a dip in the road (presumeably where the railway crossed) rising on both sides.

It is just a bit too far on my push bike to go and investigate so could you please put us out of our misery Dave.

13 hours ago, DaveF said:

I will try but it's one of Dad's photos so I too will have to look it up - I am assuming he got the place right and it is not somewhere else on the line.  I went there once in the late 60s but didn't take photos!

It may be tomorrow though.

David

I've had a look at Dad's other photos he took that day and at maps along with Google Earth and think Jim has it right - I cannot find anywhere else which fits any better, though I will have another look later on.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

I've had a look at Dad's other photos he took that day and at maps along with Google Earth and think Jim has it right - I cannot find anywhere else which fits any better, though I will have another look later on.

David

Thank you David.  I have spent a pleasant afternoon reading all about the Wick & Lybster railway, very interesting, as are most disused railways, all thanks to you posting a photo.

For those of you who are interested, lots of info on Google, just search Wick & Lybster railway.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of both BR and London Transport trains at Barking, Blake Hall (Ongar branch) and Upminster. In particular I like C4293, at Blake Hall with a LT Ongar to Epping service, in February, 1979. It is a most atmospheric shot of the train in the countryside.

The photo’s from the north east at Plawsworth, Simpasture Junction, Tyne Dock and Tyne Yard, are an excellent selection. The last photo’ at Tyne Yard, with 37005, on an up permanent way train, in June, 1981, is truly superb, and what a well weathered 37 that is. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a remarkable picture of Aviemore from the North.  That road, (back then the A9?)looks absolutely nothing like that now; in fact you wouldn't recognise it.  

Great images.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From yesterday: 

C5916 shows how bright red the vestibules were in the Mk2b/c!

C5440 shows how manky the 37 is, where the grot has had to be scrubbed off the yellow end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2024 at 09:33, DaveF said:

David

the only other possible location on the whole branch is slightly further south but the building locations don’t quite add up again and street view doesn’t extend to the location (but they may do if the photo was taken further up the road)

IMG_9904.jpeg.dac0aea5d5a1e954247b932f39487f05.jpeg

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jRHWsxNsVFUYn7cu8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

IMG_9908.jpeg.cc0ff00f8779ba0223e1cac268b94616.jpeg

red line: trackbed 

Green arrow: White House 

black arrow: house on horizon 

X: Photo location

this is of course now assuming the trackbed is in fact running behind the white building along the line of the telegraph poles you can see 

IMG_9909.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, big jim said:

the only other possible location on the whole branch is slightly further south but the building locations don’t quite add up again and street view doesn’t extend to the location (but they may do if the photo was taken further up the road)

IMG_9904.jpeg.dac0aea5d5a1e954247b932f39487f05.jpeg

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jRHWsxNsVFUYn7cu8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

IMG_9908.jpeg.cc0ff00f8779ba0223e1cac268b94616.jpeg

red line: trackbed 

Green arrow: White House 

black arrow: house on horizon 

X: Photo location

this is of course now assuming the trackbed is in fact running behind the white building along the line of the telegraph poles you can see 

IMG_9909.jpeg

That's definitely a possibility Jim.

I'm beginning to think that they moved the scenery around after the line was closed, and then again between Dad taking the photos and now!

David

• Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

That's definitely a possibility Jim.

I'm beginning to think that they moved the scenery around after the line was closed, and then again between Dad taking the photos and now!

David

I don’t like to think that 1974 was 50 years ago and a lot could have changed, I wasn’t born until the following year! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb Scottish assortment of photo’s. In particular C002, at Aviemore South, on the 21st June, 1969 C001, your first railway photo’ in colour. A beautiful composition and it shows the signalbox particularly well. 

The black and white Midland photo’s are full of interest. The first photo’ at Derby with two BR Class 5’s on a down express passenger train in c1960, is a most remarkable shot of the locomotives and all the smoke and steam. Thank you for posting it.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the metre gauge in Switzerland, on the Rhätische Bahn at Samedan, on the 7th August, 1988. I particularly like C10329, of RhB Crocodile Ge6/6, 414, which is a most excellent three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s from Northumberlandia, from earlier today, are a stunning set. In IMG_0229, Northumberlandia, with a Class 158 on a Carlisle to Morpeth service at 12.13, that’s a beautiful photo’ and how tiny the 158 looks.

The photo’s of the Grantham to Nottingham line are a superb set. The first photo’ at Bottesford, with a refurbished Class 114 on a Grantham to Nottingham  service, in October, 1981, is an excellent composition, and despite the October sun, you can see the marker lights clearly lit up. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

fLowdhamviewnorth10thApril90C14279.jpg.c745b8166fd6f7942c27e097ecc396af.jpg

Lowdham view north 10th April 90 C14279

Looks like you just stepped back in time a few generations! 

Classic 'trailing single slip to access the station yard' layout - amazing that it lasted so long, especially for such a small yard. Was there a particular traffic to/from the station which warranted keeping the yard?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, keefer said:

Looks like you just stepped back in time a few generations! 

Classic 'trailing single slip to access the station yard' layout - amazing that it lasted so long, especially for such a small yard. Was there a particular traffic to/from the station which warranted keeping the yard?

By that time the only siding was the one by the platform, now and then it was used to stable p.w. machines.  I cannot remember ever seeing anything else there.  

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2