Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of three photos at Woodhorn, on the Blyth and Tyne between Ashington and Lynemouth and two at Blyth. The first photo’ at Woodhorn, with NCB ex-BR Class 14, 31, running light engine, from Ashington to Lynemouth, in June, 1983, is a superb shot of the locomotive ‘in the landscape’.

The photo’s from around Ratcliffe on Soar are truly excellent. The last photo’ of two Class 25’s heading the The Yorkshire Rover railtour, in April, 1978, being a well composed photo’ of the railtour.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

J4319 will have been a St Pancras - Nottingham express. The 'P' in the headcode indicates a destination in the Nottingham division of the LMR.

If it was bound for Sheffield it would have shown an 'E', for inter-regional train going to the Eastern Region.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of places beginning with S between Newcastle and Middlesbrough. C5919, at Seaham, of the harbour, in January, 1983, is a most atmospheric and tranquil scene. 

The black and white print, despite it not being in such a good condition as the others, is still a superb and historical photo’ of a class 02, on a down class E empty wagon train, from Temple Mills to Whitemoor, at Cambridge South, in January, 1949. Thank you for posting it.

The photo’s of Skipton, Settle Junction and Ribblehead, are an excellent selection. J1222, at Skipton Station North Junction, with Class 5’s 44899 and 45290, on the special from Stockport to Morecambe, in March, 1968, is a fantastic photo’, and 44899 can be seen to be fitted with a snowplough. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

ButterleyFowler0-4-0DMAndyandanotherAug75C2258.jpg.4ad4a25ebf683fbfa987afdd1286a92a.jpg

Butterley Fowler 0-4-0 DM Andy and another Aug 75 C2258

not Andy, i think theyre 20684 and 20685 from Kilvington Gypsum, 685 has now been at Armley Mills for a few decades

photo by Kris Ward

http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/images/John Fowler/Narrow Gauge Loco/jf20685 narrow gauge diesel loco armley mills leeds (1).jpg

jf20685narrowgaugediesellocoarmleymillsleeds(1).jpg.f3824aa96657326cefa6be8212e52285.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Unfortunately I am late this evening owing to more issues on the line between Hull and Scarborough.

That’s a great set of photo’s of the Midland Railway Trust at Butterley. C5835, of the breakdown crane, in August, 1982, is a lovely three quarter shot, and there’s is good detail for modellers.

The photo’s from around Badnall Wharf, Dudswell and Hillmorton, are an excellent selection. J2949, of a Class 85, on a service from Euston to the North West, in May, 1972, is a well composed shot of the train. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2024 at 16:29, DaveF said:

Snip:

SkiptonClass25Class101Class31Aug83C6244.jpg.055e30f974c97b78892094d4e16d5ec7.jpg

Skipton Class 31 Class 101 Class 31 Aug 83 C6244

Is that not a 25 on the left (rather than a 31) playing hide and seek with the 31 on the right?  Apologies if I've misinterpreted anything.

Keep up the wonderful work. I've always found this a fascinating thread to read.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, H2O said:

Is that not a 25 on the left (rather than a 31) playing hide and seek with the 31 on the right?  Apologies if I've misinterpreted anything.

Keep up the wonderful work. I've always found this a fascinating thread to read.

It was a typo, thanks for pointing it out, I have altered it.

David

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The station building would make a sweet model. It almost looks more like a model than a real building.

Jonathan

Was just thinking that! 

You have an immaculate chocolate-box layout and realise you hadn't put a station in. No problem, just plonk it down where you have a space! 

Much less hassle than having to build awkward stuff like platforms, fences etc. 😊

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from Switzerland, at Fahrwangen Mesietschwanden, and Faulensee. The first photo’ at Fahrwangen Meisterschwanden, of WM BDe4/4, 1, on a service from Wohlen, on the 3rd August, 1988, is a superb three quarter shot of the unit. 

The photo’s of places beginning with "S" in the East Midlands and Lincolnshire are an excellent set. The last photo’ at Spalding, in August, 1972, is an excellent study of the signals and level crossing gates. It will be of good use for modellers.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, DaveF said:

Fahrwangen Mesietschwanden which was where a railway ran the 8.23km to Wohlen, it closed in 1997.  The photos show some of the line's stock and shed.

there’s something strange to me reading about a Swiss railway closing, why did it close? 

I’ve just tried my best to trace the line from wholen can see most of it but it does seem to be built over a fair bit in places but the shed is still standing at fahrwangen 

IMG_8494.png.08db0b2abe44a7ac0a9ad03b2601185c.png

streetview from 9 years ago (the most current date!) shows the station still standing 

IMG_8495.png.b070b3bcc347cb06d7814a8d454b36e6.png

IMG_8496.jpeg.8c818114862f0b4e29a671b37a9f9db5.jpeg

but satellite view shows it now demolished and housing in its place

IMG_8497.jpeg.11f308deeec590a270f0b66f6db5506f.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

SouthWithamMRSaxbytoBournelinebeingconvertedtoaroadOct70J2417.jpg.84ee523aaf3b4f220def835b89d08c54.jpg

South Witham MR Saxby to Bourne line being converted to a road Oct 70 J2417

How it looks today 

IMG_8499.png.956d1929d20dca79c2c83e095a9a4fef.png

street view from pretty much where bridge in the foreground is standing, it carried the old road over the trackbed but it now drops down from the west to the trackbed and the bridge has been removed, the bridge in the background is the A1 where you can see  a new carriageway being built this side in your pic, the old railway overbridge is still standing and carrying the A1 

compare layouts in this vid I captured from the RLS site 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, big jim said:

How it looks today 

street view from pretty much where bridge in the foreground is standing, it carried the old road over the trackbed but it now drops down from the west to the trackbed and the bridge has been removed, the bridge in the background is the A1 where you can see  a new carriageway being built this side in your pic, the old railway overbridge is still standing and carrying the A1 

Morning Jim,  is the bridge in the picture still standing. The bridge under the A1 is still there. I bought my rover coupe from a garage very close to it 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, big jim said:

there’s something strange to me reading about a Swiss railway closing, why did it close? 

I’ve just tried my best to trace the line from wholen can see most of it but it does seem to be built over a fair bit in places but the shed is still standing at fahrwangen 

but satellite view shows it now demolished and housing in its place

IMG_8497.jpeg.11f308deeec590a270f0b66f6db5506f.jpeg

8 hours ago, big jim said:

How it looks today 

Many thanks for these Jim.

The Fahrwangen Meisterschwandenbahn closed mainly because their main source of freight traffic, Ferrowohlen (it made steel reinforcement rods from scrap metal) closed its works, SBB stopped catering for general freight at Wohlen and the Swiss post office moved parcel traffic to road.  The remaining goods traffic and very few passengers resulted in replacement by buses.

The old loco depot is now a bus garage.

The bit about South Witham is fascinating.  I lived not too far from there for a time in the early 70s.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1