Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

1 hour ago, keefer said:

C3815 is a 4CEP or BEP (would depend on whether BEPs went to Rochester)

CEP-BEP-CEP formations did work via Rochester, Vic-Ramsgate (front 8) + Dover (rear 4) until the late 70s refurbishments. 
And the ferry on the River Medway at Strood in C3816 has been replaced by a Russian submarine!

Edit: did I get front/rear mixed up? Can't be sure. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of the S&D 150 at Shildon in August, 1975, with one from June, 1975. C2341, of K1, 2005, 24th August, 1975, is a splendid and well composed three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s from around the eastern part of the Southern, are a superb selection. J5713, at Sheerness, with a Class 414, 6116, on a Sheerness to Sittingbourne service, in May, 1977, is a delightful photo’ of the unit as it goes about it’s work without any fuss. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

CEP-BEP-CEP formations did work via Rochester, Vic-Ramsgate (front 8) + Dover (rear 4) until the late 70s refurbishments. 
And the ferry on the River Medway at Strood in C3816 has been replaced by a Russian submarine!

Edit: did I get front/rear mixed up? Can't be sure. 

I'm with you, Chris, on the RP generally being booked to Dover. 

J5634, Richborough Castle is also, ISTR, the name of an AHB crossing. Occupation crossings nearby include Gore Top and Blue Pigeon. I was passed out in Sandwich signalbox 50 years ago this month.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And the bridge over the New Bedford River has a marked resemblance to the Airfix Girder Bridge!

The original box design even has a 37ish loco hauling coaches* across it!

* However, green/blood'n'custard...

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

J3010, can anyone identify the aircraft? Seems to have a quite high aspect ratio wing.

Back of a fag packet guess given the range and photo distortion......Handley Page Dart Herald turboprop......but part of my fogged brain is trying to pick out similar aircraft....Fokker F27 maybe. 

Cheers 

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2024 at 16:38, DaveF said:

RochesterexBRferrylaidupApril78C3816.jpg.a7235264ac6fd98490f36f5f180ca42d.jpg

Rochester ex BR ferry laid up April 78 C3816

I believe the ferry is actually the former Isle of Man Steam Packet Co 'King Orry' which was withdrawn from service in 1975 and eventually broken up by Lynch & Son, Rochester in 1979.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of bridges around places beginning with N. The last photo’ at Newark, with a three car Class 104, on a Lincoln to Nottingham service running over the MR bridge, in August, 1977, is a well composed shot on what must have been a warm day since all the vents were open.

The photo’s from around Bottesford, on the Nottingham to Grantham line, are a superb selection. J5660, at Bottesford West Junction, with a Class 47, on a train of oil tanks, in April, 1977, is an excellent photo’ of a once common sight.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

J3010, can anyone identify the aircraft? Seems to have a quite high aspect ratio wing.

I'm no aircraft expert, but I am local. Is it one of those trainers from RAF Oakington? They were always flying around at the time. Were they Vickers Varsity aircraft?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

51 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I'm no aircraft expert, but I am local. Is it one of those trainers from RAF Oakington? They were always flying around at the time. Were they Vickers Varsity aircraft?

From a quick squizz of images on Google it looks quite likely, second photo here  on alamy looks very similar, https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/vickers-varsity-t1.html?sortBy=relevant . Seems they were in service until 1976.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Artless Bodger
Expanded comment and spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

Its always good to see your South Eastern photos and interesting that J5634 shows the old bridge piers and embankment of the East Kent Railway Richborough Branch.

It's always worth looking for things beyond the trains in Dave's photos. I hadn't twigged the blocks were the old bridge piers so thanks for pointing them out - I was rather taken by the crane and wondering where that was or what it was doing (there were the spoil tips of Chislet colliery not far away), and gravel pits, but the ones I used to watch out for crane wise (and narrow gauge railway too) were up river at Sturry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

It's always worth looking for things beyond the trains in Dave's photos. I hadn't twigged the blocks were the old bridge piers so thanks for pointing them out - I was rather taken by the crane and wondering where that was or what it was doing (there were the spoil tips of Chislet colliery not far away), and gravel pits, but the ones I used to watch out for crane wise (and narrow gauge railway too) were up river at Sturry.

Looking at Google Maps ( see https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2878816,1.3282139,236m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu   ) the crane would be standing in a field between the railway and the River Stour, therefore I would suggest that it has been used for lifting boats into and out of the river, the Google view shows boats stored in the field.  With the aid of Streetview it is possible to move along Richborough Road and see the remains of the EKR bridge abutment, the remains of one bridge pier and roughly where Dave F's photo was taken from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

5 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

From a quick squizz of images on Google it looks quite likely, second photo here  on alamy looks very similar, https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/vickers-varsity-t1.html?sortBy=relevant . Seems they were in service until 1976.

Thanks for the replies.

My first ever flight was in a Varsity, on a CCF field day at Oakington in late 1970. I think they were used for training navigation and communications personnel.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a great selection of photo’s of the High Dyke branch and the ex-British Steel lines. J3400, at Market Overton, with preserved Class 03, D2381, on a ballast train, with Peckett, John, banking, in September, 1973, is a lovely photo’ and shows how bucolic that section of the line was.

The black and white print of class F4, 2-4-2T, 67164, shunting empty coaching stock, at Cambridge South, in October, 1948, is truly outstanding. Thank you for posting it. More please when you are able to.

The photo’s from around Longhirst and Lucker, on the ECML in Northumberland, are an excellent set. C5267, at Longhirst, with a Class 40, complete with a royal train headcode, on a down freight train, on the 17th January, 1981, is a superb and well composed photo’.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

Another black and white print, this time an F4 at Cambridge South in October 1948.

img439.jpg.49854b8ecdde213b4cda8cbcedd5ef42.jpg

David

The coaches on the right seem to be standing foul of the disc signal.

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

Lucker Class 254 HST up Aug 82 C5809

A classic view of an ECML TRUB set in almost original condition - just the addition of the exhaust deflector and the removal of the 254 xxx number from the front.

• Like 1