Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

C6494a - "Prototype for everything" - random wagon wheel sets lying around in the goods yard!🤣

(Actually I think Hexham was a place where wagon repairs were carried out)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 31A said:

C6494a - "Prototype for everything" - random wagon wheel sets lying around in the goods yard!🤣

(Actually I think Hexham was a place where wagon repairs were carried out)

I believe so.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Hexham and around Corbridge on the Newcastle to Carlisle line are a superb selection. The last photo’ at Corbridge Dilston crossing, with a Class 37 on an up pw train, in July, 1983, is a great view of the train, and a former Gresley corridor carriage can be seen as a mess carriage.

The photo’s of the Midland Main Line with four photo’s  at Leicester and one at Nottingham, are a superb set. The first photo’ of a Class 45, on an up ecs, on the 9th August, 1977, is an excellent shot, and the first vehicle looks like an outside framed Siphon G with the top half of the sides panelled over.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, big jim said:

is that one of the original 150/0 units?

Think only those pair carried the 150/2 style provincial livery @TT100 Diesels 

Yes, its one of the original sprinter prototypes, giveaways are, no cab gangway, cab side doors are sliding type, carrying prototype livery.

Interestingly, running as a two car. So a wildcard is it could be the former 150002 running as 154001. The 154 spent a lot of time as a 2car, in fact, could have only been a 2 car in 154 guise (sorry too many brain cells gone on holiday and not returned! to be 100%). Cannot remember when the 154 was converted back to standard 150002, and in 1989 I was well away from sprinters, was solid 100% on ECML 91's.

So defo 150001 or 150002/154001.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Yes, its one of the original sprinter prototypes, giveaways are, no cab gangway, cab side doors are sliding type, carrying prototype livery.

Interestingly, running as a two car. So a wildcard is it could be the former 150002 running as 154001. The 154 spent a lot of time as a 2car, in fact, could have only been a 2 car in 154 guise (sorry too many brain cells gone on holiday and not returned! to be 100%). Cannot remember when the 154 was converted back to standard 150002, and in 1989 I was well away from sprinters, was solid 100% on ECML 91's.

So defo 150001 or 150002/154001.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

I have a photo of 154001 on a Nottingham Lincoln working around the same period of time so it could well be it.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 2

39 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I have a photo of 154001 on a Nottingham Lincoln working around the same period of time so it could well be it.

David

Another identifier just occurred to me, as 154001 was converted to be a genuine 90 mph unit, in addition to the drive train upgrade, yaw dampers and associated bracketry was fitted. 

I have zoomed into the pic above and worn my modelling magnifiers, but it is just too far away to be 100% about seeing yaw dampers on the outside of the bogies. 

But with all that has been said, the balance of probabilities mean my money is on it being 154001.

Sorry to drag your thread off track a bit Dave F.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic set of photo’s of the Stockton and Darllington around Brussleton incline, in June, 1975, by your Dad, on an RCHS visit with Ken Hoole. J4443, of the cottages and engine house, is a great photo’ and there is excellent details for modelling purposes.

The photo’s of Doncaster in 1979 and 1983 are a superb selection. The last photo’ of 37170 and another one, on a down empty mgr train, in October, 1983, is well composed and the 37’s make an impressive sight. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

DoncasterClass55upexpassongoingtrackworkalterationsFeb79C4312.jpg.4d083620322940eb0f46c5cd0082e2a7.jpg

Doncaster Class 55 up ex pass, ongoing trackwork alterations Feb 79  C4312

The second coach looks like a maroon BG but I thought all Mk1 coaches had been repainted blue/grey by 1979.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The second coach looks like a maroon BG but I thought all Mk1 coaches had been repainted blue/grey by 1979.

looks blue grey to me, you can see the line between them below the windows

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Re C4345, a good job the Vale of York is pretty flat. I hope it wasn't heading across the Pennines.

Jonathan

I think it was going to either Doncaster or York.

18 minutes ago, big jim said:

looks blue grey to me, you can see the line between them below the windows

11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I've had a close look and I think it just need a good clean, it really is in blue and grey.

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I think it was going to either Doncaster or York.

More than likely York, either the Carriage Works or Clifton Carriage sidings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Amazing pictures David,  especially the Newmarket one. It's hard to believe all that infrastructure fitted on the site when looking at the place today 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s at Didcot in May, 1979. The first photo’ is a superb and well composed shot of the tank engine, and something is chalked on the top of the smokebox door. It seems to end …Man. I cannot see exactly what is before the ‘Man’.

The black and white photo’s are an excellent and nostalgic set. JVol1307, of an LNER buffet car interior, c1948, is outstanding. It is full of details which will be of good use for modellers. Thank you for posting it. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2024 at 09:34, DaveF said:

A few photos around Dover for this morning  all taken on 27th December 1977.

DoverMarineSNCBMVPrincePhilippeandBRferryDec77J5897.jpg.bc9656dd61b12741768f1805bdc699ce.jpg

Dover Marine SNCB MV Prince Philippe and BR ferry Dec 77 J5897

The BR Ferry is in the Train Ferry Dock and looks to be the MV Vortigern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, SED Freightman said:

The BR Ferry is in the Train Ferry Dock and looks to be the MV Vortigern.

Mant thanks.  I've amended the original caption.

David

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Market65 said:

The first photo’ is a superb and well composed shot of the tank engine, and something is chalked on the top of the smokebox door. It seems to end …Man. I cannot see exactly what is before the ‘Man’.

It looks like Klansman which around that date would coincide with KKK goings on. Hmmm.....

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

LNER buffet car interior c1948 JVol1307

Those chairs! We had similar ones in our church hall. After Sunday School it was our job to clear them away. We all tried to build the tallest stack without it falling over...

• Funny 5