Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Colne Valley Railway at Castle Hedingham in the 1970’s. The first photo’ of Vulcan Foundry Austerity, 72, on the 2nd April, 1977, is a superb three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive.

The black and white print of class B17/6, 1641, Gayton Hall, on an up ordinary passenger train from Cambridge to London Liverpool Street, at Trumpington, in May, 1948, is a real gem, and you can see how grimy the locomotive was along with what appears to be cricket being played in an adjacent sports field.

The photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne, at South Newsham, are an excellent set. The last photo’ of track relayer DRC78235, broken down, on the 5th January, 1986, is most interesting, and I hope it was not long before the track relayer was back in working order.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Good morning David. J1529 is 9019 Royal Highland Fusilier and J1747 is 47435. J2018 looks like it ends in a 7, so being on the ECML could be Generator 1507

Thanks again Andrew.

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Two interesting-looking catering coaches in C1259 - anyone able to identify them?

They look like an RU (19xx) and an RB (16 or 17xx).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Scan-130526-0019 provides a very nice view inside some ex-PO mineral wagons, one of which looks very tatty!

I wonder what the load is? Could just be spoil of some sort. Some ironstone loads look a bit like that too, but I'd expect that amount would be too heavy for a 13t wagon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Scan-130526-0019 provides a very nice view inside some ex-PO mineral wagons, one of which looks very tatty!

I wonder what the load is? Could just be spoil of some sort. Some ironstone loads look a bit like that too, but I'd expect that amount would be too heavy for a 13t wagon.

Possibly demolition rubble? No engine or brake van in view, so the wagons could just be 'parked' for the use by engineers/builders if alterations are being made somewhere on the station.

Edited by iands
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Just now, iands said:

Possibly demolition rubble? No engine or brake van in view, so the wagons could just be 'parked' for the use be engineers/builders if alterations are being made somewhere on the station.

If I had a better memory I could tell you what was in the wagons as I was there that day, I was 5 years old.  To be honest the only thing I actually remember was wearing a kilt as I was a page boy at the wedding, I hated it.

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of High Dyke on the ECML. The first photo’ of Class 55, 9019, on the up 14.00 King’s Cross to Edinburgh, in January, 1969, is a superb composition of the Deltic hauled express.

The black and white photo’s of Loughborough Midland and Loughborough water troughs are a superb selection. Scan-130526-0016, at Loughborough Midland, with Ivatt 4MT, 43045, and the footplate crew, on a down passenger train, in June, 1955, is a most delightful portrait of both the driver, fireman, and the cab of 43045.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Pilton Junction west bridge over A902 Granton branch CR Aug 74 J3973 

I see you stayed in the car - very wise...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those parcels trains at Ardwick are very evocative!

Unusual livery variations on the 350, red bufferbeams and the double arrow on the cabside.

And the white over red on the middle lamps isn't what most DCC chips would provide.

I guess these trips would have just shuttled between Mayfield and Ardwick Yard?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Those parcels trains at Ardwick are very evocative!

Unusual livery variations on the 350, red bufferbeams and the double arrow on the cabside.

And the white over red on the middle lamps isn't what most DCC chips would provide.

I guess these trips would have just shuttled between Mayfield and Ardwick Yard?

The second one is probably going to Ardwick yard but the first one is on the LNWR line.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of places/things beginning with P, Q, R and S. C24973, of Retford Station approach and buildings, on the 25th July, 2000, is a superb photo’ of the buildings. Perfect for modellers.

The photo’s of Ardwick station on the Great Central line to Manchetser Piccadilly and at Beattock station, are an excellent selection. C0784, at Ardwick, with a Class 08, on a trip working of parcels stock, in January, 1972, is a superb photo’ in the low light levels of January. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2024 at 17:09, DaveF said:

Now for the last batch today taken not too far from home on the Blyth and Tyne at South Newsham.  In a few months the new station on the Northumberland line will open along with the new road bridge so the level crossing will be closed.

Morning David. 

As an ex-pat Blyth lad (left '85 but visited 3 or 4 times a year till a couple of years ago) your B&T images brought back a lot of memories.  Sitting at the Newsham Crossing (black diamond) we'd regularly see some interesting trains - mostly coal and other freight but Sundays were always a treat when diversions off the ECML would bring Intercity 125s plus the occasional steam working past. I used to play golf on the old course that ran between south newsham and newsham crossings so we'd always stop to watch whatever was passing.  It's marvellous that they're building a new station though I've not seen the area since my folks passed in 2022 when it was all just roadworks and delays. Friends are already complaining that the new Bebside station will add to the traffic carnage at the Asda roundabout - there's no pleasing some folk. 🤣 

Graeme

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the London Tibury and Southend Railway, at Hadleigh and Chalkwell, between Pitsea and Southend. J5722, at Chalkwell, with a Class 302, on a down working, in July, 1977, is a superb photo’ of a Summer’s day in BR blue days. 

The photo’s of Pilmoor are superb and capture the ECML before electrification and now the Azuma’s. A valuable record. The last photo’ is a fascinating shot of Class 03, D2107, in a down goods train, in April, 1968. That will be of interest to modellers. 

Veey best regards,

Rob.