Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

The platform canopies are devoid of glass, was this removed during the war as an air-raid precaution, or had it succumbed before the war? 

I think a wartime precaution, I'm sure I've seen pre war photos with the glass in place.

David

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

This morning I went to the Tanfield Railway's "Legends of Industry" Gala. It runs from Sunniside to East Tanfield, I spent my time at Andrews House and Marley Hill.  To me it is in the south as I have to cross the Tyne to get there, it's about 40 minutes from home when there isn't too much traffic.

Today there were 5 locos in steam plus 2 diesels.

There will be a selection of photos over the next three days.

sBSC_8737AndrewsHouseBagnallHawarden.jpg.182240b5419c06d1bfb8f9251fb91e69.jpg

BSC_8737 Andrews House Bagnall Hawarden  This year's visiting loco.

sBSC_8740AndrewsHouseBagnallHawarden.jpg.5df2990079af9c55dad2bc1665429362.jpg

BSC_8740 Andrews House Bagnall Hawarden  Arriving from Sunniside with a train to East Tanfield.

sBSC_8747MarleyHillAW2andHL2.jpg.c127bcbce49fb28a9ab4cba5c8c34abf.jpg

BSC_8747 Marley Hill Armstrong Whiiworth 2 and  Hawthorn Leslie 2 with Barclay Stanley on the left

sBSC_8749MarleyHillAW2andHL2.jpg.e0d5d4b0c2abdeffda51a420252c210e.jpg

BSC_8749 Marley Hill Armstrong Whitworth 2 and  Hawthorn Leslie 2.  Also an ex NCB undergound mine loco.

sBSC_8750MarleyHillABStanley.jpg.1290a65c7114763b24955d7a24da23db.jpg

BSC_8750 Marley Hill  Andrew Barclay   Stanley

David

Only ever been there once - March 2020 as a quickly arranged trip to replace one to New Jersey c/o you know what... -  and was very impressed with the place, particularly what they had waiting to be restored (!).

I stayed at Stanley, so it wasn't far to travel.....

Hopefully will get there again next year after this years "catch up" programme of trips to the USA.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pictures of the Tanfield.

I've always thought Andrews House makes an ideal model railway station

sBSC_8740AndrewsHouseBagnallHawarden.jpg

(picture by DaveF, see earlier post)

There's a passing loop, a quaint station building with equally ideosyncratic ancillaries and its closely bounded at each end by bridges. An ideal place to run short goods and passenger trains, hauled by nothing bigger than an 0-6-0 tank loco.  Perfect!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic assortment of Scottish photo’s. J3988, at Leith, with a Class 08, in August, 1974, is a superb view of the track layout and several cranes can be seen too. 

The photo’s of the Tanfield Railway's "Legends of Industry" Gala, from today, are an excellent selection, and I am looking forward to seeing the others over the weekend. The last photo’ at Marley Hill , with Andrew Barclay, Stanley, is a delightful portrait of the locomotive. 

The photo’s of Cramlington are a delightful set. The last photo’ at Cramlington North, with 37071, on an up light engine movement, on the 31st May, 1991, is a lovely composition of the 37 on a dull May day.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think a wartime precaution, I'm sure I've seen pre war photos with the glass in place.

David

As an aside, following my query, remembering photos of Cannon Street with no glass in the roof, I checked up. The glazing was removed from Cannon Street roof as a precaution and carefully stored in a factory, to be restored after the war. Unfortunately the factory itself was bombed and the glass was destroyed. I presume similar precautions were taken in other vulnerable places.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Somewhere much closer to home in Northumberland for teatime, I can be there in just over 10 minutes.

CramlingtonClass31relayingtrainFeb84VC6470.jpg.d1eeda53ab2c26ab36ffcba1e429ac89.jpg

Cramlington Class 31 relaying trainFeb 84 C6470

CramlingtonClass254up27thDec84C6670.jpg.0aae7a8b908b268a0d2fce7bf6e33ded.jpg

Cramlington Class 254 up 27th Dec 84 C6670

CramlingtonClass101MorpethtoNewcastle27thDec84C6672.jpg.ad596a281276b9fcefa6a1dfa0409461.jpg

Cramlington Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle 27th Dec 84 C6672

jbCramlingtontrackmachine29thOct87_C9239.jpg.34f2917a599fe8c0be3f57c83be85223.jpg

Cramlington track machine 29th Oct 87 C9239

jcCramlingtonNorth37071uple31stMay91_C15901.jpg.f82cc656da0a7b1fa9513457424dd086.jpg

Cramlington North 37071 up le 31st May 91 C15901

David

The houses in the background of the top photo C6470 have a whiff of Bob Ferris and Terry Collier about them... 😉

LLL.jpg.162b6276ac67fa4cd0951d76897ebaba.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

19 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

The houses in the background of the top photo C6470 have a whiff of Bob Ferris and Terry Collier about them... 😉

LLL.jpg.162b6276ac67fa4cd0951d76897ebaba.jpg

Obviously the Elm Lodge Housing Estate and not Inkerman Terrace 😀

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, DaveF said:

LeithClass08Aug74J3988.jpg.4f4b5d6625ff2df13c7f81fc546126f5.jpg

Leith Class 08 Aug 74 J3988

Just wondering if you and/or your dad ever use(d) filters on your cameras?

The cloud definition in this particular shot stands out, which is something more easily acheived with a polarising filter.

Personally I have a UV filter on most lenses, which acts as lens protection. My eldest daughter once dropped a DSLR, and the smashed filter made it look expensive but meant the lens survivied the impact, with only a new filter being required...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Just wondering if you and/or your dad ever use(d) filters on your cameras?

The cloud definition in this particular shot stands out, which is something more easily acheived with a polarising filter.

Personally I have a UV filter on most lenses, which acts as lens protection. My eldest daughter once dropped a DSLR, and the smashed filter made it look expensive but meant the lens survivied the impact, with only a new filter being required...

Both Dad and I almost always had (I still have) a UV filter on lenses, more to protect the lens than anything else.

We both had polarising filters and used them for time to time, most often when taking photos including lakes and sometimes the sea.  I don't any more, though I do hav eone in the camera bag.

I have found that sometimes when a slide is scanned the sky improves a bit.  About twenty years ago when I scanned all the slides technology was not as advanced as it is now, sometimes the results could be a bit unpredicatble but when everything worked the photos came out really well, as in this case.

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I was up in the north-east this week and on Wednesday I took the train from Newcastle to Carlisle and back. Although I’d been to both places before, I’d never travelled over that line. Thanks to David’s prodigious posting of pictures, the route (as well as the stations at both ends) felt very familiar and I was able to look out for features of the line that I only knew from this thread. Sadly no diverted HSTs, nor any class 26s on a Tyne Yard Speedlink these days, but a very picturesque bit of railway. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Any catering car experts out there? Looks like an unusual one somehow but can’t put my finger on it.

Dia.30 Griddle car, built new 1960, no.1100-2.

Dia.31 no.1103-5 were converted 1966 from dia.16 RF and while similar, had a different window layout.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Cadeby in Leicestershire, near Market Bosworth. C421, of Foster engine, Fiery Elias, in June, 1969, is a superb portrait shot of the engine. 

The photo’s of the Tanfield Railway, are a delightful selection. The first photo’ at Marley Hill, with Andrew Barclay, Stanley, and Hawthorn Leslie, number 2, on an ECS to Sunniside, is an excellent composition, and portrays the two locomotives perfectly. 

The photo’s of the ECML, at Barkston, north of Grantham, are a splendid set. The last photo’ of Class 55, 55018, on a down express train, on the 30th May, 1978, is a most impressive composition of a Deltic hauled express not long before the HST’s took over. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, russ p said:

I have a section of the Elm Lodge Estate on my layout,  Bob's viva is there

There were actually two HB Vivas used, one was a 2-door in Peacock Blue (ALF 132H) and a 4-door in Pacific Blue for which I couldn't see the reg.no. As an possible explanation maybe they were "firm's" cars.

• Like 3

On 21/06/2024 at 11:41, Artless Bodger said:

J643, I wonder where the train of vans and cars had originated? I cannot identify the vans or cars (not my sphere of interest at all), so I wonder if anyone can identify the make etc please? Just out of interest.

On 21/06/2024 at 11:46, Carnforth said:

First thought is of Ford Transits, facing the camera. I remember them having a distinct white bumber region. I think!

On 21/06/2024 at 12:29, keefer said:

Looks like Transits (the more boxy squared-off version) with a D-series lorry/tractor unit behind.

Early Mk.1 Transits with the white grille area; most seem to be grey. Both the Transit and the 'D' cab were 1965 introductions so would be coming out of the factories in September 1966. Cars further on, possibly including the last of the Mk.1 Cortinas off to the showrooms. Production would have switched to the new Mk.2 during the summer break, for launch in October. Other Ford cars at that date would be Mk.3 (105E) Anglia, Ford Corsair and the Mk.IV Zephyr & Zodiac.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Looking at J2067, David, it's not D9002, as it has a single line nameplate. My first thought was that it was D9008 but the front footstep gives it away - it's D9000.

Edited by 35A
Correction
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, keefer said:

Dia.30 Griddle car, built new 1960, no.1100-2.

Dia.31 no.1103-5 were converted 1966 from dia.16 RF and while similar, had a different window layout.

Spot on Keefer - has to be Diag 30 E1102, the only one to be Air Braked / Electric Heated for use in these sets.

Edited by Bob Reid
Grammer!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2