Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The photos of Hardwicke and Evening Star remind me that I was at Horsforth that day. Unfortunately from my vantage point the attempted photo was completely ruined by the dmu going in the opposite direction. I suspect that you have photographed the offending beast.

• Friendly/supportive 6

Nice photos of Tanfield. My one visit was many years ago, I had accompanied my manager to a meeting at our factory in Gateshead, work was completed early and we were taken to a pub around Tanfield area for lunch, then as there was time before our flight back south, the factory driver (knowing I was interested in railways) made a detour to the railway for a short visit. Two things stcik in my memory; a huge version of our workshop vernier micrometer in the the Tanfield workshop by the lathe, to measure wheel diameter; and a boilerless steam locomotive crane, powered by a diesel compressor on an attached wagon, doing a bit of shunting. Visit all too soon over it was back into the traffic jams approaching Newcastle airport.

As an aside, I noticed in a company brochure, an aerial photo of our factory at the south end of the Team Valley Industrial Estate with what appeared to be a concrete staithe or viaduct passing just north of the factory site. No longer in existence at the time of my visits, it was a branch from iirc the Bowes incline to a colliery to the west.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Nice photos of Tanfield. My one visit was many years ago, I had accompanied my manager to a meeting at our factory in Gateshead, work was completed early and we were taken to a pub around Tanfield area for lunch, then as there was time before our flight back south, the factory driver (knowing I was interested in railways) made a detour to the railway for a short visit. Two things stcik in my memory; a huge version of our workshop vernier micrometer in the the Tanfield workshop by the lathe, to measure wheel diameter; and a boilerless steam locomotive crane, powered by a diesel compressor on an attached wagon, doing a bit of shunting. Visit all too soon over it was back into the traffic jams approaching Newcastle airport.

As an aside, I noticed in a company brochure, an aerial photo of our factory at the south end of the Team Valley Industrial Estate with what appeared to be a concrete staithe or viaduct passing just north of the factory site. No longer in existence at the time of my visits, it was a branch from iirc the Bowes incline to a colliery to the west.

I think the concrete viaduct served Lamesley Colliery, which closed in 1973.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Hamburg Der Fliegender Hamburger  Hamburg to Berlin in 2 hr20 min 160kmh

Not bad going. The fastest time these days on the ICE is about 1h45 with a stop in Spandau. The maximum line speed on that route now is 230kmh. 

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think you’ve got your captions transposed David; in photo J2995 the loco is 1109 and in J3112 it’s 1987. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

I think you’ve got your captions transposed David; in photo J2995 the loco is 1109 and in J3112 it’s 1987. 

Thanks very much for pointing it out.  I think it is now correct, all that was wrong was that I had got the photos in the wrong order and then messed up the train workings as well.  In other words, everything was wrong.

David

• Friendly/supportive 8

Just now, DaveF said:

Thanks very much for pointing it out.  I think it is now correct, all that was wrong was that I had got the photos in the wrong order and then messed up the train workings as well.  In other words, everything was wrong.

David

The right information, just not necessarily in the right order!

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Swayfiled on the ECML on Stoke Bank for this teatime.

SwayfieldClass471914EdinburghtoKingsXSept71J2770.jpg.f832e708b4f52034d4067d5c681311a9.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 1914 11.50 Edinburgh to Kings X  Sept 71 J2770

David

Late 60's, early 70's when straw and stubble burning was all the fashion.  In the evenings around us The Fens were aglow from fields on fire, then in the morning dust devils wreaked havoc sending black burnt ashes into every nook and cranny.  Thank goodness that was outlawed, now the farmers combine the straw so fine that dust storms prevail instead.🙁

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2024 at 16:35, DaveF said:

Little Mill, a level crossing on the ECML in Northumberland for today's final bacth of photos.  They were taken in 1974 and 1983.

Little Mill April 83 C6028  The signal box has gone.  The building in the centre of the photo is I believe an old lime kiln.

16/04/1978 Little Mill was abolished

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the Tanfield Railway, near Gateshead on 17th June, 2017. BSC_3872, Marley Hill, of Hawthorn Leslie, No 2, is a superb portrait of the locomotive.

The two photo’s you have posted at lunchtime are a remarkable selection. Especially the one of your Dad and his younger brother, in 1929, on their first train. A superb photo’ of your family. The photo’ of the Flying Hamburger railcar is a photo’ which I believe featured in at least one book. Sadly I cannot now remember which book it was, but I am going back to the 1960’s.

The photo’s at Swayfield, on the ECML, are a superb selection. The first photo’ is a splendid shot of Class 47, 1914, on the 11.50 Edinburgh to Kings Cross service, in September, 1971. It can be seen that there are four CK’s in the formation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

David, if you zoom on J2770, you'll see that it isn't 1914, as captioned. It's not clear what it actually is but the digits are rounded and wider.

1914 would have been an unusual visitor to the ECML, as from new until 1987 it was a Canton loco. It survives, to this day, as part of the West Coast Railways fleet, as 47 237.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 35A said:

David, if you zoom on J2770, you'll see that it isn't 1914, as captioned. It's not clear what it actually is but the digits are rounded and wider.

1914 would have been an unusual visitor to the ECML, as from new until 1987 it was a Canton loco. It survives, to this day, as part of the West Coast Railways fleet, as 47 237.

It's one of Dad's photos, I just copied the caption from his catalogue and didn't check it.

Many thanks for pointing it out.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting wagons creeping into those photos too, especially the 6-wheel van which I cannot immediately identify.

Possibly an LMS flavour to it - @Compound2632 will no doubt identify it if so?

Always interesting to see coke hoppers too, there were several subtle variants.

Many thanks Dave, keep up the excellent work!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic set of photo’s of Crianlarich in 1973, 1985 and 1986. C6894, on the 11th May, 1985, is such a lovely photo’ full of Scottish scenery and a beautiful sky. I will say nothing about that ‘uncoupling ramp’…

The black and white photo’s of various places are a superb selection. JVol4136, at Bobbers Mill, with an 8F, on an up mineral train, in c1952, is an excellent composition of the 8F running tender first. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Some interesting wagons creeping into those photos too, especially the 6-wheel van which I cannot immediately identify.

Possibly an LMS flavour to it - @Compound2632 will no doubt identify it if so?

I make no particular claim to expertise when it comes to LMS passenger stock but this looks a bit fishy to me - though I think in fact officially a milk van - D1874, 45 built at Wolverton in 1927-9, lots 304 and 442. Compare plate 45g in the 1869 Ian Allan edition of Essery & Jenkinson's The LMS Coach, also table p. 126. The body styling is a bit reminiscent of North Staffs milk vans, so I wonder if these were built as replacements for those.

I dare say the underframe is now under some beautifully-restored Victorian coach body!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

That first shot reminded me of one the opening scenes to M. Hulot's Holiday!

The steam shed was between the train and the   fence, and would  soon become the TAA ('Motorail') terminal. In my days on Eurotunnel crew, I used to be able to recite directions to there by heart.

• Like 1