Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from around Radcliffe on Trent and Rectory Junction. The last photo’ of a Class 47, on a Manchester to Parkeston Quay service, in April, 1980, is a well composed photo’ with the 47 emitting a flurry of exhaust.

The random selection of photo’s is full of interest and nostalgia. How great to see a very young you, along with your Mum, in the last photo’ at Nottingham Victoria, probably in December, 1951 or January, 1952.

The photo’s from around Trumpington, south of Cambridge, in black and white, are a superb and historical set. JVol1264, of class J39, 64776, on a Yarmouth to Liverpool St. working, in c1948, is an impressive shot by your Dad, as the engine blasts past on it’s way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

So you didn't spend your time at Fenners then?

J

Not old enough then and when old enough not bright enough!  And no good at cricket anyway.  For anyone who might not know, the cricket ground in Dave's photo is the playing fields of the Boys' High School.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, DaveF said:

uNormantononSoarClass45D109earlyblueliveryupThamesClydeMarch67J839.jpg.76df5c8dbb512513107b5b47df49b883.jpg

Normanton on Soar Class 45 D109 early blue livery up Thames Clyde March 67 J839

The Up Thames-Clyde was usually 1M86. A 1Cxx headcode would suggest a St. Pancras(?) service running wholly within the LMR.

ISTR at some point, although technically a through service, the Thames-Clyde being run as two separate trains i.e. Glasgow-somewhere and then somewhere-St. Pancras?

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, keefer said:

The Up Thames-Clyde was usually 1M86. A 1Cxx headcode would suggest a St. Pancras(?) service running wholly within the LMR.

ISTR at some point, although technically a through service, the Thames-Clyde being run as two separate trains i.e. Glasgow-somewhere and then somewhere-St. Pancras?

When I posted it I did wonder about the headcode.  It is one of Dad's and I assume he tried to identify the train by the time at which he saw it.  

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

J839

WembleyParkMetropolitanelectric1JohnLyonRickansworthtoBakerStreetMarch55JVol7051.jpg.64fb71a710061bd98ab7b74a8150d6d1.jpg

Wembley Park Metropolitan electric 1 John Lyon   Rickmansworth to Baker Street March 55 JVol7051

Great pictures David 

After the debate on met electric locos earlier this week , a cable between the stock and the loco appears to be visible.  I would assume the system required 2 cables 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

WembleyParkMetropolitanelectric1JohnLyonRickansworthtoBakerStreetMarch55JVol7051.jpg.64fb71a710061bd98ab7b74a8150d6d1.jpg

Wembley Park Metropolitan electric 1 John Lyon   Rickmansworth to Baker Street March 55 JVol7051

David

Very surprised to see a tail lamp on the front coach facing the direction of travel, someone was not following the rules.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Carlisle. The first photo’ of 47537, on the 30th July, 1986, is a superb portrait shof the locomotive.

The mixed bag of photo’s are a superb selection. JVol7043, at Trent, with Jubilee, 45608, Gibraltar, on a Bradford and Leeds to St Pancras express in December, 1954, is a most excellent shot of the train by your Dad.

The photo’s from Scotland are an excellent set, which capture the different aspects of Scottish railways so perfectly. C2978, at Creagan, CR, on the Connel to Ballachulish line, on the 14th August, 1976, is a splendid photo’ of the bridge that carried the line over Caolas Chreagan, the Creagan Narrows of Loch Creran. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

C2978 the Creagan bridge. We spent a holiday in Onich a while back and often visited a cafe some way round the bend to the left beyond the bridge. The road then followed the shore around the head of the loch, and at its head was prone to flooding with a rather agricultural alternative route. Difficult to find a safe place to park to take photos as the road was so narrow. Since then the bridge piers have been cut down and a new road deck built to cut off the route round the head of the loch.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.5465709,-5.2859917,3a,75y,309.85h,85.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4Luw2gBfo7snoZ13HXvCKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

In C7561 was that the station building? Quite a size for a pretty small place.

Jonathan

Yes it was.  It is typical of the stations along the line from Newcatsle to Berwick.  They were designed by Benjamin Green.

There is a lot about them in "A History of the Newcastle and Berwick Railway" edited by John F Addyman, published by the NERA (North Eastern Railway Association).  ISBN 978 1 873513 75 0.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1