Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, lmsforever said:

That looks like the RNLI Arbroath lifeboat in the rear of the photo , busy station.

No, that's just a boat yard for building/repairing. 

The photo shows the (outer) tidal harbour basin and you can just make out (to the left of the two fishing boats) the gap through to the inner basin which, up until the '70s, could have fishing boats berthed 2 or 3 deep around the wall.

The small lifting bridge over the slipway gave access to the outer wall/pier on the right (stretching some way behind the camera on the right).

The lifeboat station was off scene to the left, behind the camera.

Walked across that little bridge and around the harbour many times while on holiday, staying with relatives up near the Abbey. Good times☺️

EDIT:

Current satellite view, orange arrow shows viewpoint of camera in Dave's pic:

20231219_135405.jpg.2b7a507879ae55c8221ce4949f148215.jpg

1923 OS 25-inch map shows the Branch tracks around the harbour (tracks top left lead to Arbroath station.)

Screenshot_20231219-140044_Chrome.jpg.24b6388c185b41b9be04efa21d0de55b.jpg

Edited by keefer
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, keefer said:

The photo shows the (outer) tidal harbour basin and you can just make out (to the left of the two fishing boats) the gap through to the inner basin which, up until the '70s, could have fishing boats berthed 2 or 3 deep around the wall.

The small lifting bridge over the slipway gave access to the outer wall/pier on the right (stretching some way behind the camera on the right).

Walked across that little bridge and around the harbour many times while on holiday, staying with relatives up near the Abbey. Good times☺️

EDIT:

1923 OS 25-inch map shows the Branch tracks around the harbour (tracks top left lead to Arbroath station.)

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J1695 is a very interesting image given it's part of a preserved line now. It looks like a substantial and well maintained railway landscape given it closed a couple of years later. 

I recall going there with my dad in the very early days of preservation in the torrential rain and having short rides in a brake van at Shackerstone I think.

Regards

Guy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of places beginning with L and M. The last photo’ at Market Bosworth, on the MR and LNW Joint line, in May, 1969, is a well composed photo’ of the station, and the track layout can be clearly seen which might be of to someone who may wish to make a model of the station.

The photo’s of Ratcliffe on Soar are a superb set. J1642, of Class 46, D186, on an up freight train, in April, 1969, is an excellent composition by your Dad, of both the train and the cooling towers.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keefer said:

EDIT:

Any "Abandoned rails in the road"?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 33C said:

I don't hve any other photos of Arbroath, I think Dad must just have stopped there for a few minutes. taken a photo and moved on.  David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 33C said:

Looking at Google Streetview, all of the quayside roads are tarmac or monobloc with no sign of any rails showing through.

A lot of the roads past the top left of the Inner Basin have been obliterated since the '60/70s with the building of the dual carriageway & associated main roads through the town. 

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, keefer said:

Looking at Google Streetview, all of the quayside roads are tarmac or monobloc with no sign of any trails showing through.

A lot of the roads past the top left of the Inner Basin were obliterated in the '60/70s with the building of the dual carriageway & associated main roads through the town. 

Shame. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I am not worried about any duplicate photo’s, it just such a pleasure and a privilege to enjoy seeing these photo’s each day. Please keep them coming for as long as you can.

That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Skipton. The first one of LMS Class 5, running light engine, with loco coal wagons in the foreground, and an LMS Jinty, in January, 1967, is a superb and most atmospheric photo’. 

The last photo’ of a unit on a Colne to Skipton service, in June, 1967, is a splendid shot, but is actually two of the four character headcode box class 113’s with one RollsRoyce engine per car. 

The York photo’s are truly outstanding. C4400, of 55003, Meld, on Saturday, the 7th April, 1979, is an excellent portrait shot of the Deltic. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

BrinklowClass86E3194downfreightJan69_J1524.jpg.4b67ed8d66029ab83dfa61e7217bfe45.jpg

Brinklow Class 86 E3194 down freight Jan 69 J1524

David

20 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

BrinklowClass86E3194downfreightJan69_J1524.jpg.4b67ed8d66029ab83dfa61e7217bfe45.jpg

Brinklow Class 86 E3194 down freight Jan 69 J1524

David

And a merry Christmas to you David and yet again sincere thanks for your excellent pictures 

7th April 79 was a busy day for railtours I remember been on one from Middlesbrough to Dinting with 55022 coming off and the V2 coming on for a run over the hope Valley 

It had a loco change on the way home but I can't recall what they were

I drove D9000 on the mainline in 2001 and was quite emotional thinking of how excited I was as a 13 year old being hauled by the same loco I was now driving 

• Like 8

J742 is particularly interesting, the LOCOSX 5 plank wagons all seem to be WR ones, I cannot determine if they have end doors - ex clay wagons or just merchandise wagons? Can you tell me the meaning of LOCOSX please? Specific to Skipton perhaps? Also in the rake behind a cupboard door 'French' mineral, you don't often see them in photos (though somewhre I've seen a photo of an A4 pulling a whole rake of them - protoype for anything). I find any photo with the 'French' minerals interesting as we had several as internal coal wagons at the papermill I worked in.

Your Swiss photos are always interesting thank you. In my view the Re4/4ii and Re6/6 have to be the neatest electric locos yet built. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for continuing to post every day, this is still a 'must see' and I don't mind how often you repeat  photos like many have said.

The photos without trains are just as interesting, few photographers capture infrastructure the way you do.

Best wishes

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Your Swiss photos are always interesting thank you. In my view the Re4/4ii and Re6/6 have to be the neatest electric locos yet built. 

I always thought they summed up both the modern railway scene abroad, and proof that practical locomotives don't have to be ugly with bits sticking out all over.  So smooth, so furrin, so much better than a lot of the tat we got!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. First of all I wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope you will enjoy a relaxing time. And thank you for all the excellent photo’s you have posted this year.

Now, that’s a great set of photo’s of Switzerland at Unterterzen by the Walensee on the line from Zürich to Chur. C14998, of Re4/4ii, 11169, working a Schnellzug to Chur service, on the 9th August, 1990, is a most delightful composition, which captures the train in the Swiz countryside so perfectly.

The photo’s of Swayfield, on the ECML, are a superb selection. C1013, of Class 55, 9012, on the 09.48, Harrogate to Kings Cross, The Yorkshire Pullman, in July, 1972, is an excellent photo’ of the Deltic hauled Pullman. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1