Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Online Preserved stocklist site:

Preserved Railway Stocklist - Preserved & Private Coaches, Wagons and More (ukprsl.uk)

Also, of course, The Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey Project:

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/search.asp

Search on "Midland Railway Centre" as the location.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 31/10/2023 at 22:23, Davexoc said:

The place name threw me until I saw this photo, then I realised exactly where it was. Just above the loco is a bridge over the M1. I've driven past here many a time, but never actually seen a passing train. As the train rounds the bend heading north it will shortly pass behind Toddington motorway service area. It also passes the site of Sundon cement works, which had only recently closed when the photo was taken, something that I don't recall ever seeing, but apparently it was connected to the mainline and also had a 3' gauge system internally. Well that's something that I've learnt today.... A bit of info here  https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/17495091344      Then nowadays, just to the left is the newish junction 11A of the M1 with the start of the sprawl of warehousing and distribution that has sprung up around Leagrave to the left and behind....

I believe this is Sundon Cement works.https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/midlandrailway/e51af4802  And yes, never heard of Chalton

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, flapland said:

This looks the bus is doing some time travelling. The front looks so like a Boris Bus (New Bus for Lodon)

The design took its cues from a range of classic bus designs - the front deck above windscreen level being very similar to this Alexander design and another, which escapes me currently (edit - it’s Northern Counties, as supplied to Ribble and others on rear engined chassis - mid to late 60s - particularly the upper deck windscreen design). The lower deck windscreen with its swooping nearside seems to be cued from the MCW Metropolitan and mk1 Metrobus, and the proportions of the upper to lower deck side window heights from 1950s/60s designs such as the MCW Orion body - after all the thing was designed by an artist!! Apparently Wrights had to work very hard to convert the artist’s design concept to something which could be manufactured and which worked as a bus with the usual discussions about interfering with the artistic integrity! Anyone who’s travelled on one will know how dingy the upper deck seems, caused partially by the low height windows and the dark upholstery - something which bus body manufacturers sought to address in the late 60s by increasing the upper deck window heights and equalising them with the lower deck ones. 

I read that the designer was seeking to be get the seat design patented - quite funny when one realises it’s more or less a copy of standard bus seats from the 50-70s with moquette upholstery - it struck me that this was akin to someone designing a railway carriage now, with standard mark 1 seating and then seeking to patent it 🤣

Excellent photo as well!! 

Edited by MidlandRed
Additional info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MidlandRed said:

The design took its cues from a range of classic bus designs - the front deck above windscreen level being very similar to this Alexander design and another, which escapes me currently (edit - it’s Northern Counties, as supplied to Ribble and others on rear engined chassis - mid to late 60s - particularly the upper deck windscreen design). The lower deck windscreen with its swooping nearside seems to be cued from the MCW Metropolitan and mk1 Metrobus, and the proportions of the upper to lower deck side window heights from 1950s/60s designs such as the MCW Orion body - after all the thing was designed by an artist!! Apparently Wrights had to work very hard to convert the artist’s design concept to something which could be manufactured and which worked as a bus with the usual discussions about interfering with the artistic integrity! Anyone who’s travelled on one will know how dingy the upper deck seems, caused partially by the low height windows and the dark upholstery - something which bus body manufacturers sought to address in the late 60s by increasing the upper deck window heights and equalising them with the lower deck ones. 

I read that the designer was seeking to be get the seat design patented - quite funny when one realises it’s more or less a copy of standard bus seats from the 50-70s with moquette upholstery - it struck me that this was akin to someone designing a railway carriage now, with standard mark 1 seating and then seeking to patent it 🤣

Excellent photo as well!! 

Thanks @MidlandRed very informative. I travel on them regularly as I live on the 24 route which went over fairly early on.  I don't mind the upper deck, in fact my preference is the seat at the very back on the left hand side. I do mind the frequent need to restart the bus/computer even years after introduction. Also the ride can be very variable, not sure if thats an issue with the I assume hydraulic suspension.  The occasional turrets/garbled destination announcements make me laugh. 

Edited by flapland
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Great photos - J1508, D63 appears to be in 1966 Toton blue (or is it economy green)!!

It's got the old BR crest so it is very weathered economy green.  The blue tinge is just colour fade before I scanned the slide.

David

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Great Peak photos.

Lucky you got so many namers.

Did the TCE reverse at Nottingham?

The Thames Clyde and everything from the south about to head north reversed at Nottingham once the Melton Mowbray line was closed.

From memory it usually took about 10 minutes for the loco change.  The the Thames Clyde had to reverse again at Leeds City.

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Borrowash in Derbyshire along with Lexden and Colchester in Essex. The first photo’ at Borrowash, with Class 47, D1628, on an up freight , in April, 1969, is a beautifully composed shot by your Dad, and it shows a very dirty locomotive, which is difficult to see whether it is green or blue!

The couple of pairs of photo’s of Class 20s on Skegness trains at Bottesford, and some at Nottingham Midland, are a splendid set. J1510, at Nottingham, with a Class 105, on a Manchester Piccadilly to Nottingham service, in December, 1968, is an excellent photo’ by your Dad, and I like the comment you have put that, ‘It was always an "interesting" journey in a Class 105’. I think you must be referring to the rattling, shaking and rolling of the power cars in particular. I always found the trailers to be quite quiet and relaxing in comparison.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks David - your shot was taken between Spondon Station and the (then) former Spondon Junction. Raynesway Bridge (the A5111) is in the background.

You obviously didn't venture into the Badlands...

Interesting that the semaphore signal structures (sans arms) are still standing, in the middle distance.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, DaveF said:

Many thanks for the bus information, I'd wondered what type it was.

I don't know if the reg. no. is clearer on the negative/slide Dave but any number (or part of) can be searched for here:

https://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/searchreg.asp

I thought it ended in '100C' but that search didn't give a match.

As an aside, some Daimler Fleetlines used the Alexander AD body and so looked like the Leyland Atlantean pictured above. There were also NCME and ECW-bodied examples but they had a flatter, plainer front and lacked the curved front of the upper deck.

(That was my first thought as we had Fleetlines in Fife - the only Atlanteans I was aware of then were those in Edinburgh/Glasgow which had the large 'panoramic' saloon windows)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Interesting that the semaphore signal structures (sans arms) are still standing, in the middle distance.

July 1969 Derby PSB took control of the area, Daves photo could be only a week or two later, the cutting crew probably hadn't caught up with the commissioning.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, keefer said:

EDIT: forgot to say that whatever the bus is, it's practically brand-new in April 1963. Reg. suffix 'C' started from January that year.

I don't think so. 1963 was the first year of a suffix, inevitably A. C-suffix vehicles were registered in 1965. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 hours ago, beast66606 said:

July 1969 Derby PSB took control of the area, Daves photo could be only a week or two later, the cutting crew probably hadn't caught up with the commissioning.

Indeed, and Spondon Jn was abolished on 18th May 1969. A few weeks earlier and Dave's DMU might've been routed into Derby via Chaddesden Sdgs - often local trains from Nottm were routed into Derby that way.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Indeed, and Spondon Jn was abolished on 18th May 1969. A few weeks earlier and Dave's DMU might've been routed into Derby via Chaddesden Sdgs - often local trains from Nottm were routed into Derby that way.

Do I recall that the Chaddesden Loop was the original route of the Midland Pullman? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Do I recall that the Chaddesden Loop was the original route of the Midland Pullman? 

Yes Ian. Of an evening, I'd watch it crawl over Spondon Jn on its return trip to Man Cent., scribbling down the Pullman car numbers.

It was the original route into Derby from the east, opened by the Midland Counties Rly. Later the MR built the curve from Spondon to the south end of Derby station, to allow through running without having to reverse if the train served Derby.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5