Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

13 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

I'm interested to know what the device to the right of the loco is, it appears to be electrically powered. Can anyone enlighten me please? (Looks like a useful stand for oil cans if nothing else, or are they paraffin, and cotton waste on the end box, for loco cleaning?).

Looks like they put palletts on the track and run over them for lighting up wood ! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Grindleford: the semaphores are still there, but I think they’re going soon with the Hope Valley upgrades currently in progress. 
Also, an Invacar sighted in the middle of J2626. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
also
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Llanuwchllyn, on the Bala Lake Railway, on the 4th August, 1979. The first photo’ of Hunslet number 3, Holy War, is a lovely portrait shot of the locomotive. How it shines in the sunshine.

The photo’s of Grindleford, Heddon Mill, and Henley In Arden, are a fascinating set. The first one, at Grindleford, with a class 101, on a Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield service, in April, 1976, is a well composed shot. The unit is one of those 101 power twins strengthened to a triplet by way of inserting a class 104, BRC&W TSL. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/11/2023 at 08:44, DaveF said:

Just 4 photos to start with today taken at Llanuwchllyn on the Bala Lake Railway in August 1979.

LlanuwchllynHunsletAliceunderrepair4thAug79C4665.jpg.d0d9ee9b3116756fddadf67a5fc9a34a.jpg

Llanuwchllyn Hunslet Alice under repair 4th Aug 79 C4665

David

im going to suggest that’s ‘Maid Marian’ not Alice as I don’t think any major work was carried out on her until my dad bought it in 1987 and it defiantly didn’t have a boiler, that was used on ‘Irish Mail’, I may be wrong, I was only 4 when that pic was taken!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, big jim said:

im going to suggest that’s ‘Maid Marian’ not Alice as I don’t think any major work was carried out on her until my dad bought it in 1987 and it defiantly didn’t have a boiler, that was used on ‘Irish Mail’, I may be wrong, I was only 4 when that pic was taken!

Man thanks.  You could well be right, in those days I didn't always make notes of each photoI took.

I've altered the caption.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Burton on Trent and then Buston Barns in Northumberland. The last photo’, at Buston Barns, with 55018, working an Edinburgh to Newcastle train, in August, 1980, is an excellent photo’ of the Deltic hauled train. 

The black and white photo’s, on the Midland, around Nottingham, are a superb and historical set. Thank you for posting them. JVol4247, at Linby, with MR Ivatt 4MT, 43019, on a down goods train, in c1951, is a most striking three quarter shot of the train taken by your Dad. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Castle Hedingham in September 1978 and May 1979. The first photo’ of Hunslet Austerity, 190, in September, 1978, is an excellent portrait shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, again, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of the Highland at Inverness and further north. The last photo’ is particularly interesting at Kinbrace, with Class 26, 5339, on an Inverness to Wick and Thurso service, in August, 1973, and I see the driver is stood in the doorway. I wonder why that was?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

It's probably the Secondman and about to collect a single line token ?

Box gone by that time note bare signal post , platform would be on trains right behind Dave with level crossing at far end of platform . Ready to drop off to open gates , train men operated , but why not alight onto platform

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Did they split the train at Georgemas Junction back then and one portion to Thurso and the other to Wick.

Or do what they do what they do today, train goes to Thurso and the back to Georgemas and then onto Wick.

There would be the Thurso engine waiting at Georgemas junction to take that part of the train . Wick had two locos overnight one passenger and one goods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2