Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Great East Anglian photos, Dave, as always.  Here's a couple of Felixstowe Beach today.

220810FelixstoweBeach66710PhilPacker4M02toHamsHallat17(8)smallP.JPG.2d49a9b0047db3222d3beb4566d3a9b4.JPG

66710 Phil Packer BRIT departs from Felixstowe South with 4M02 to Hams Hall on 10th August 2022.

230524FelixstoweBeach66713ForestCityon4L28DoncasterIportGBRFtoFelixstoweSouth(7)smallP.jpg.cdfaf4181a0e82a4e4d6db97cb9806e1.jpg

66713 Forest City arrives at Felixstowe South with 4L28 from Doncaster Iport on 24th May 2023.

Chris Turnbull

It looks very different to the last time I saw it which was probably about 35 years ago when the station building was still there! 

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

J3119, the bridge at Walberswick - this was originially a swing bridge iirc, and was blown up in the war as it was in an area vulnerable to invasion.

Yes, the swing span was blown up and later replaced by a Bailey bridge. I'm not certain but I think the bridge in the picture is a further, still later, replacement.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

J195, there's a lot of interesting and useful detail in the backdrop to this photo; the mixed building materials in the same building, street lamp (electric or gas, that box on the post - anyone know?) behind the boundary wall, shrubbery along the cutting side and the signal with subsidiary arm tucked into the bank above the retaining wall, super.

And J1609, took me a while to detect the culvert, hiding among the trees, it's great your Dad thought to catch such scenes, the minor details that contribute to the whole.

Edited by Artless Bodger
Expanded comment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

J195, there's a lot of interesting and useful detail in the backdrop to this photo; the mixed building materials in the same building, street lamp (electric or gas, that box on the post - anyone know?) behind the boundary wall, shrubbery along the cutting side and the signal with subsidiary arm tucked into the bank above the retaining wall, super.

And J1609, took me a while to detect the culvert, hiding among the trees, it's great your Dad thought to catch such scenes, the minor details that contribute to the whole.

From what I remember the lamps in Harrogate were all electric by then.  The box may have been something in connection with the original gas supply, perhaps the tap to turn it on.  At this time it could well have been where the cables were joind which ran up the post and to the lamp.

Does anyone know more?

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Harrogate and one near Harworth on the South Yorkshire Joint Railway. J270, at Harrogate, of Class A1, 60131, Osprey, on an up light engine movement, in August, 1965, is a superb photo’ of the locomotive. 

The photo’s of at Cramlington on Tuesday, the 7th November, 2023, are a superb set, which capture the present day railway perfectly. SC_8363, of Northern Class 156, on a Morpeth to Carlisle service, is expertly composed, of the unit, which looks okay in the white livery.

Lastly, the photo’s of Ulleskelf between Leeds and York, with  two at Uttoxeter between Derby and Crewe, are a fascinating selection. J642, at Ulleskelf, with Class 40, D396, on a freight train, carrying cars, in September, 1966, is an excellent photo’ taken by your Dad. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

From what I remember the lamps in Harrogate were all electric by then.  The box may have been something in connection with the original gas supply, perhaps the tap to turn it on.  At this time it could well have been where the cables were joind which ran up the post and to the lamp.

Does anyone know more?

David

the street lamp was formally a Gas one that has been converted to electricity. Where the ‘T’ bar is below the green box is part of the old gas system. The green box would have been added along with the swan neck fitting above when the gas lantern was decommissioned. The green box would have contained back then the fuse and neutral block on the end of the incoming underground cable. Most likely YEB property. Above it would most likely be an electro mechanical time switch with seasonal settings. The feed wires to the lamp head would most likely be VIR insulated. I have certainly changed a few of these in the past in the old EMEB area.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 10/11/2023 at 17:59, Dagworth said:

How common were Cartics at Felixstowe? I think of them being a Harwich thing instead. 

Andi

I just had a look at what I'd wrote in the ITM Published booklet on the history of Felixstowe Branch and it says for 1977 -

"Three scheduled retern Freightliner services a day to Felixstowe Docks, plus various Conditional services running as required conveying cars for export (Ford & BL products), imported paper and also ammunition trains for the MoD".

I can't recall ever seeing a photo of one of the car carrying services actually operating on the branch though!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

C3412.

Are you sure the train originated at Barnetby, Dave?

An important junction, with lines to Scunthorpe/Doncaster/Leeds, Lincoln and Worksop/Sheffield in one direction, with Grimsby/Cleethorpes and Immingham in the other.

But I was unaware of any trains starting or terminating there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

C3412.

Are you sure the train originated at Barnetby, Dave?

An important junction, with lines to Scunthorpe/Doncaster/Leeds, Lincoln and Worksop/Sheffield in one direction, with Grimsby/Cleethorpes and Immingham in the other.

But I was unaware of any trains starting or terminating there.

I've had a look at my slide catalogue and it really does say Barnetby.  It struck me as unusual too, from memory I think that something had gone wrong that day somewhere near Grimsby so trains were terminating at and starting from Barnetby.

It was the train I'd travelled on from Derby so I had probably picked up the starting point from the station announcements.

Or I could just have written down the wrong place!

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the Severn Valley Railway Railway, at Bridgnorth, in the 1970’s. The first photo’ of LMS Ivatt Class 2MT, 46521, in October, 1976, is a most impressive front end portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s of County Durham, on the line from Darlington through Bishop Auckland to Eastgate, with one at Etherley, showing the incline on the Stocton and Darlington railway, are a fascinating set. C8497, at Wolsingham, with the Class 101 unit on the North Briton special, on the 23rd May, 1887, is a delightful shot of the train and the distinctive station buildings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

On 12/11/2023 at 08:23, DaveF said:

Bridgnorth4738311thApril77C3301.jpg.bc8f8a581d811568e78eb2007ed321ca.jpg

Bridgnorth 47383 11th April 77 C3301

I'm interested to know what the device to the right of the loco is, it appears to be electrically powered. Can anyone enlighten me please? (Looks like a useful stand for oil cans if nothing else, or are they paraffin, and cotton waste on the end box, for loco cleaning?).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Artless Bodger said:

I'm interested to know what the device to the right of the loco is, it appears to be electrically powered. Can anyone enlighten me please? (Looks like a useful stand for oil cans if nothing else, or are they paraffin, and cotton waste on the end box, for loco cleaning?).

Looks like a pressure washer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Reichenau Tamins in Switzerland, on the 7th August, 1990. C14938, of Ge4/4ii, 621, on the Glacier Express, from Zermatt to Chur, you have taken a beautifully composed photo’ of the train in the lovely Switzerland countryside. 

The photo’s of Radcliffe on Trent, on the Grantham to Nottingham line, are full of interest and nostalgia. C4243, of a Class 101, from Grantham to Nottingham, in December, 1978, is a truly outstanding and atmospheric photo’, and captures well how cold it was later on in December, 1978.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1