Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ray M said:

C909 ,E3189 looks to have 1 blue cab roof

& 1 white cab roof ?

It does look like that but I think it's just light reflecting off the rear cab roof.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SHMD said:

No, Sutton Hoo as confirmed by Rob above.

(I can't find it now.)

Kev.

Simon someone, in France IIRC - I think life caused him some issues he hasn't posted anything on FB group for ages.  His 3rd rail was live!  Very characterful layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 31/10/2023 at 12:03, Artless Bodger said:

Nice photo C5034, the train is crossing the Luton Arches. 2EPB in the lead as you say, the second unit looks like a 2HAP - you can see the water pipes along the roof to the toilet tanks.

Taken from the "Great Lines" as locally known just next to the Medway Hospital.

Definitely a pair of Class 414 2-HAP's, the rear is a Phase 1 with the external lighting conduit, the front is a Phase 2 - lighting wiring internal and the "Hibar" headcode panel - the only 2-EPB's with these were the ex-Tyneside ones which never worked on the SED.

Headcode 92 is likely to be the Gillingham portion off the Victoria - Maidstone East / Gillingham Stopper via Catford which split at Swanley during the 70's/80's.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

It was Colin Parks who built Newhaven Harbour. Simon Park conducted his own orchestra. They reached number one in the charts, or

maybe it was still the Hit Parade then. Anyway, they were at number one with Eye Level, which was the theme from Van Der Valk, the 

original series with Barry Foster in the lead role. Incidently, the B-side was Distant Hills, which was the theme from Crown Court, still

being shown on TalkTV.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of LTSR photos, at Laindon. C3540, of Class 302, 302300, leading a Fenchurch St. to Shoeburyness service, in August, 1977 C3540, is a particularly well composed photo’, which is sharp, clear and I like seeing the overhead catenary along with the train. 

The mixed bag of photo’s are simply superb. Each one is a gem. C15299, at Great Rocks, on the 24th August, 1990, is a splendid shot of the scene. I like how you get the railway going into the tunnel with the vast area of works on the right. All so well captured in the photo’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

sHathernClass4585RoyalCorpsofTransportSheffieldtoStPancrasAug72C1044.jpg.100ff2ab9069386a59de70e89c19e15d.jpg

Hathern Class 45 85 Royal Corps of Transport Sheffield to St Pancras Aug 72 C1044

1M88, only a few years before, was the Up 'The Waverley(Edinburgh - St. Pancras).

Originally ran from Princes St. station but after closure in 1965 ran from Waverley, until the closure of the Waverley Route in 1969.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

sGreatRocks24thAug90C15299.jpg.4e317968261bf973c6d500702201a45f.jpg

Great Rocks 24th Aug 90 C15299

One for the 'when the real thing looks like a model' thread - the scenery on the left looks contrived, to hide the fiddle yard behind the industrial sidings on the viewing side. A wonderful prototype for anything photo!

Did the expanding quarry remove an exisiting hill continuing to the right of the main line, or were the lines built by competing companies. I'm afraid this is an area of England I don't know much about, nor its railway history.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

One for the 'when the real thing looks like a model' thread - the scenery on the left looks contrived, to hide the fiddle yard behind the industrial sidings on the viewing side. A wonderful prototype for anything photo!

Did the expanding quarry remove an exisiting hill continuing to the right of the main line, or were the lines built by competing companies. I'm afraid this is an area of England I don't know much about, nor its railway history.

Here you're looking south from Great Rocks Jct. The line to the left is the former Midland Railway mainline south to Derby and Buxton, by this time freight only and to Buxton only, while the line to the right are the then ICI lines at South Works carrying on into Tunstead Quarry. The quarry dates from the late 1920s.

You can see how things were arranged here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15.9&lat=53.27139&lon=-1.84979&layers=193&right=ESRIWorld

together with the more recent satellite view showing the former MR line heading south through Great Rocks Dale while quarrying has now expanded to both sides of the dale.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Morpeth on 12th July, 2016. The first photo’ of 67003, on 0Z67, Newcastle to Newcastle, at 10.19, is a superb shot of the 67, and is well composed. A lovely photo’.

The photo’s of Brough, East Yorkshire, and Hull, are especially interesting for myself, living not far away in Beverley. The first photo’ at Brough, with a six car class 124 unit, on a Hull to Liverpool service, in September, 1965, is a most excellent photo’, and full of nostalgia. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s at Ghent, in Belgium, of some trams, on the 14th August, 1990. The first one is a most enchanting photo’ of a tram crossing that bridge, with reflections in the calm waters.

The second set of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne between Winning and North Blyth in November and December, 2016, are an excellent set. BSC_2393, at Cambois, with 66605, on the 14th December, 2016, with a train of empties to the coal terminal, is a well captured photo’, and the driver is having a conversation with someone.

That’s a great selection of photo’s of the Great Eastern mainline. In the last photo’, at Marks Tey, with 309617, working solo on a down service, in May, 1979, you have captured perfectly, the unit between the masts of the overhead catenary. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Dave

I've been meaning to ask for a while, were some of your Brentwood bank photos taken from the Seven Arches bridge? You might know the road as it had a pub of the same name in it, came off Shenfield common if I remember rightly and  there was an entrance to Hartswood park in it? The position looks familiar to me as I always stopped for a look over the bridge when I used to go to my early evening piano lesson in a house just over the bridge. It was only a mile from school to the lesson but a four mile cycle ride home in all weathers.

Blue and grey Great Eastern photos are a real blast from the past, really enjoy all your photos.

Martyn

• Like 1