Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Many thanks Neil.  I've corrected the captions.

That is something I ought to know by now - I saw the real thing often enough both at Harlaxton and later at Chappel and Wakes Colne in the 1970s.

David

I think that's 'Gunby', IIRC?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Gurtnellen8thAug88C10485.jpg.52a3521213975d9c21690e8497c376c7.jpg

I know I should be looking at the trains but that is an absolute minter of a gold k10 Nissan Micra. That generation of metallics rotted out particularly badly and you never see them now. The red looks like the later face lift Micra but looking closer I think it is another brand.

I know people shouldn't get excited by Nissan Micras but my first car was a k10 and sorry that, after observing all the excellent pictures posted on this thread, it took this for me to post my appreciation finally.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland taken on the 7th July, 2023. In BSC_8208, at Acklington, with an LNER 800, on an Edinburgh to London Kings Cross express, you have taken an excellent shot which contrasts the old and the new. 

The photo’s of Harlaxton Quarries railway and the BR branch from Belvoir Junction to the quarries, are an excellent set. In the last photo’ at Stenwith near Woolstorpe, with two Class 20’s returning from the quarries with a brake van, in August, 1970, is a beautiful composition, and shows a most bucolic scene.

In the photo’s of around Gurtnellen, in Switzerland, on the 8th August, 1988, you have a most atmospheric and beautiful selection. In C10487, with Re6/6, 11669 and 11621, hauling 20 coaches southbound, you have a superb scene which is well composed. 

Finally, the photo’s of some Peaks on the Midland are a delightful set. In the last photo’ at Sharnbrook, with a Class 45, on an up express passenger train, on the 11th April, 1975, you have captured a most typical Midland train from the 1970’s, which is beautifully composed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

I may have alluded to this when commenting on specific photos already, but it's just dawned on me that every post has something 'modelable' in it, and I'm not necessarily talking about the trains. Top stuff Dave 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Blackwell area, Glazebrook and Glenfield Tunnel. In the first photo’ at Blackwell, with a Class 47, on a northbound service, on the 5th April, 1974, you have taken a well composed shot of the accelerating train. 

The photo’s of Derbyshire and Yorkshire are a delightful mixture, and in J0895, at Garforth, with a four car Class 101, on a Selby to Leeds City service, in May, 1967, youe Dad has taken a splendid and well composed shot of the train. It can be seen that the drivers windscreen wiper has overshot and if needed would have to be repositioned, etc., by the driver.

What an excellent set of black and white photo’s of Grantham from about 1948 to 1953. In JVol5059, with B12/3, 61580, on an up passenger working, in c1953, that’s a truly superb photo’, and the first two carriages can be seen to be a twin articulated set of BT +CL. 

Finally, the photo’s of Swayfield, are a superb selection. In C1172, of a Class 55, on an Edinburgh to London Kings Cross express, in February, 1973, that’s a well composed shot which reveals that most of the train was formed of Mklld stock.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

In JVol 3271 the A4 looks like 60014 Silver Link.

Handrail doesn't curve down at the rear until after the penultimate handrail knob.

Nameplate appears to have rounded corners.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see 29 in photo C650 being painted - I must have been there a few weeks afterwards as someone was finishing the job in the tunnel - that was used as a shed then - on a Northumbria Railrover ticket.  Awakening memories for me here, David!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a delightful selection of photo’s of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, in the first half of the 1970’s, at Goathland and Grosmont. In the first photo’, at Grosmont, with NCB 31, in June, 1971, you have a great scene, which is well composed, and visible is the GCR Barnum carriage after the two locomotives. 

The photo’s of Scottish infrastructure etc., are an excellent set. In J3311, at Lochluichart, with the line going by the Loch, in August, 1973, your Dad has taken a well composed shot of the beautiful view. 

The Great Eastern Railway photo’s are a superb selection. In C4377, at Stratford, with 306014, on a down passenger service, in March, 1979, you have taken an excellent head on shot of the unit. Just look at the filth which has not been cleaned off the front too.

Finally, the photo’s of Alderley Edge and Manchester, are a delightful set. In C469, at Manchester Piccadilly, with a Class 506, on a service to Glossop and Hadfield, going away from the camera, in February, 1971, that’s a most atmospheric shot, and shows how relatively faint the destination blind is lit. Just a faint yellowish light, along with a fairly faint looking red rear light. Not like many RTR models which are much too bright. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

The next set of photos are from the Great Eastern Railway.

aStratford312787uppassMarch79C4374.jpg.9353017f834d49cfbb7588c0c0705681.jpg

Stratford 312787 up pass March 79 C4374

aStratford306014downpassMarch79C4377.jpg.489456ae06ad08600260d13b3ba0e94b.jpg

Stratford 306014 down pass March 79 C4377

ChappelandWakesColneClass105passtoSudburyMay79C4492.jpg.0f415c7a033c6f3ae58d85eb64dad947.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne Class 105 pass to Sudbury May79 C4492

eaBrightlingseatrackbedNov79J6662.jpg.c4822b535f02b6d85bdba95ef56e9ee6.jpg

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Brightlingsea trackbed Nov 79 J6662

fdMaldonremainsofGERbridgeoverRiverBlackwaterApril78J6013.jpg.9cd5f78ba839aead1a4eb1d031ca9881.jpg

Maldon remains of GER bridge over River Blackwater April 78 J6013

David

Interesting pictures David . The one of the 306 clearly shows where the additional steelwork has been added to cover up the original location of the pantograph.  The pictureof the 506 in next set clearly shows its original face of it.  The site of the bridge at Maldon is now where the bypass is now. I drove over it on Tuesday night I was thinking what is left of the tunnel which was to the south of the bridge 

Edited by russ p
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Sheffield Park south end, I think.

You are right - of course they have moved places around in the last 50 or so years!

David

• Agree 1