Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the Dinting shots from 1971, I don’t think I have seen that many Ford Anglia’s in one place at the same time. A lot of cars in the images that have long since rusted away. I wonder in another 52 years people will get all nostalgic looking at images from 2023, with Hybrids or all electric cars the same.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the WCML, around Brinklow, mostly by the Grand Union canal, from 1972 and 1976. In J5088, of 86257, on a Euston to Liverpool service, in March, 1976, your Dad has taken an excellent and well composed photo’, which has captured a reflection of the train in the waters of the canal.

The photo’s of the Great Eastern are a delightful set. In the last photo’, at Manningtree, of a track machine, in November, 1976, that is a most excellent study of the machine, and will be of help for modellers.

The photo’s of St. Omer, in France, from 16th August, 1978, are a superb and atmospheric selection. In C4080, of 67608, on a passenger train to Calais, you have taken an excellent three quarter portrait shot of the train. 

Finally, the photo’s of Dinting and Manchester Piccadilly are full of interest and nostalgia. In the last photo’ at Manchester Piccadilly, with 85003, on ecs, and 155301, bound for Cardiff, on the 8th September, 1990, that’s a well composed shot of the 85, and the 155, on enlarging the photo’, is actually 155331.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Just looking at the Dinting shots from 1971, I don’t think I have seen that many Ford Anglia’s in one place at the same time. A lot of cars in the images that have long since rusted away. I wonder in another 52 years people will get all nostalgic looking at images from 2023, with Hybrids or all electric cars the same.

From the first photo I thought it was a Ford Owners' Club meeting! Haven't seen a Corsair in many a year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ramrig said:

I was thinking the same about all those Anglias!!!!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And in two years we shall be celebrating 200 years since the S&D opened.

I am interested in the vehicle on the extreme right in JVol5067. Any thoughts, anyone? It does not look young.

And interesting to see headcode disks in JVol1284. Presumably they went at Nationalisation.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. What a delightful and atmospheric selection of photo’s of the West Highland around Rannoch Moor and Banavie. In C6885, at Rannoch, on the viaduct, on the 11th May, 1985, you have taken a photo’ which shows not only the viaduct, from the train, but the bleak landscape too. A well composed shot. 

The photo’s from around Shildon with one from Ferryhill, are fascinating, and of historical interest. In C6926, at Shildon, with a two car Class 101, on a Bishop Auckland to Saltburn service, on the 18th May, 1985, you have taken a superb photo’ of what was once an everyday train. The unit is well weathered, but hopefully in good mechanical condition.

Thank you for posting the extra photo’ at Corrour, of the signal box, on the 11th May, 1985. The box was looking good in the sunny weather. A most excellent portrait shot.

That’s a great set of photo’s of Nottingham Victoria in black and white. In the last photo’, of an A5, on a down passenger train, in c1950, your Dad has taken a well composed photo’, and the A5 is too well weathered to see it’s number. Also, the first carriage is a GE Section 52 footer, with three instead of four third class compartments. An end vestibule vehicle.

Finally the photo’s showing iron ore quarrying at and around Colsterworth, on the High Dyke branch, are a splendid selection. In J2128, at Colsterworth North Extension quarry, with BSC shunter, one of the three Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0’s, with loaded iron ore wagons, in May, 1970, your Dad has taken a superb shot of both the quarry and the train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Butterley4F44027and73129April76C2691.jpg.e2197a0bda9e1f5d8702415b8407251b.jpg

Butterley 4F 44027 and 73129 April 76 C2691

That shot made me laugh, the lad riding a donkey looking at the 4F - English eccentricity

Thanks - as ever - for sharing David

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

That shot made me laugh, the lad riding a donkey looking at the 4F - English eccentricity

Thanks - as ever - for sharing David

And his sister(?) holding the tiller.

• Like 4

Ah - Les Gets - was the destination of my very first ski-ing holiday and learning why ski poles are hollow - love the Trois Vallees.

C15384 - the idea of Manchester to Cardiff in a Class 153 - arrrghh 😒

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

"C15384 - the idea of Manchester to Cardiff in a Class 153 - arrrghh "

Better than a Pacer!

J

Also better than Manchester to Llandudno on a summer Saturday in a 150 with a six-year-old, a three-year-old and no working toilet.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Also better than Manchester to Llandudno on a summer Saturday in a 150 with a six-year-old, a three-year-old and no working toilet.

Never having been a parent, you remind me I have missed so much.....

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

"C15384 - the idea of Manchester to Cardiff in a Class 153 - arrrghh "

Better than a Pacer!

J

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What about Scarborough to Holyhead in a 150/2?

That was a scheduled service for a period in the latter 1980s until the 156s and 158s came in.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2023 at 13:29, DaveF said:

Mainly around Shildon with one from Ferryhill.  The Ferryhill photo was taken during a charter round the Darlington area and up the Weardale line, we had some photos of the working at Etherley etc a few days ago.

The first three of the Shildon photos were taken by Dad when he and Mum went on a weekend trip organised by the RCHS led by Ken Hoole to look at the Stockton and Darlington in its 150th year.

gShildonwagonworksfromtopofBrusseltoninclineMay75J4444.jpg.7a6bc66d18c4de26e5ea257f68a01079.jpg

Shildon wagon works from top of Brusselton incline May 75 J4444

gShildonMasonsArmsCrossingMay75J4447.jpg.e6844245d20f5c17f0252deb98d2fd24.jpg

Shildon Masons Arms Crossing May 75 J4447

gShildonMasonsArmscrossingMay75J4448.jpg.32d7f9b86c4cb2af7030f21886c35544.jpg

Shildon Masons Arms crossing May 75 J4448

gShildonClass101BishopAucklandtoSaltburn18thMay85C6926.jpg.26a097852e2a1e1810e359b677c9a4c0.jpg

Shildon Class 101 Bishop Auckland to Saltburn 18th May 85 C6926

bFerryhillviewnorthfromcabofClass10123rdMay87C8482.jpg.dc441e90469cdc3de9555174bbe2c3ae.jpg

Ferryhill view north from cab of Class 101 23rd May 87 C8482

David

I don't think much of the factory applied weathering in C6926!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

"What about Scarborough to Holyhead in a 150/2?"

I believe that at one time there was a through working of a first generation DMU from Skegness to Pwllheli, though not shown as such in the public timetables. I used the part of the service between either Birmingham NS or Shrewsbury and Barmouth, if the story was correct. But it may have ben a myth.

J

• Like 2