Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Steamtown, with C8806, of the Bassett Lowke, 15 inch gauge, Princess Elizabeth, on the 8th August, 1987, being a splendid portrait shot of her.

The photo’s of Carlisle are an excellent set. In C8341, of 08447, on a cement trip working, on the 21st April, 1987, is a fascinating studs, and well composed shot of that train. 

What a great selection of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne, starting at New Hartley and going north to Ashington and Woodhorn. In C7118, at Ashington, with NCB Class 14, 31, ex-BR, running light engine, from Ashington to Lynemouth, on the 12th August, 1985, that’s a superb shot as the 14 runs along heavily grassed track. 

Finally, the photo’s of the Midland, going north from Leeds to the S&C, are a splendid set. In J401, at Cononley, with an LMS Class 5, on a down passenger train from Leeds to Carlisle, in October, 1965, your Dad has taken a truly superb and atmospheric shot of the train in the glorious English countryside.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I simply must do this edit. It is now 1,000 pages for this truly superb thread, and, David, I’m just so pleased on your excellent and astonishing achievement. Many thanks for all the outstanding contributions and photos, and I’m now looking forward, with relish, to the next 1,000 pages.

Well done Rob,  I think it's highly appropriate that you are the first post on page 1000 as you are David's biggest poster 👏 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, russ p said:

Well done Rob,  I think it's highly appropriate that you are the first post on page 1000 as you are David's biggest poster 👏 

Thank you, russ p. That’s very kind, and I’ll try and do my best over the next 1,000 pages.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

A member of a narrow gauge forum which i am in, is currently restoring Boston's Southwold layout apparently dating back to the 50's

I remember that layout well from the early 1960s, though I never saw it working.  If I remember correctly it was kept in Teddy's study at that time.  The whole rectory was a treasure trove of railway material, books, papers and of course Teddy's 8mm cine films.

On a much later visit I think it was in the model railway building (a giant shed).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2023 at 18:02, 33C said:

C4905. Anybody remember the cabin up on the right hand wall? Was it the signal box for the east side?

It was the signalbox for the whole station, I was fortunate enough to visit it as a secondman shortly before it closed when operation transferred to the IECC opposite. I still have my hand drawn track plans of the station drawn from the box diagram.

Andi

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

I remember that layout well from the early 1960s, though I never saw it working.  If I remember correctly it was kept in Teddy's study at that time.  The whole rectory was a treasure trove of railway material, books, papers and of course Teddy's 8mm cine films.

On a much later visit I think it was in the model railway building (a giant shed).

I didn't visit Cadeby until the early 90s, after Teddy had died. I did spot some fragments of the Southwold layout piled up in the middle of the Olton Priors layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

Deepcar...at the start of the Stocksbridge bypass, one of Britain's most haunted roads.

Travelling it alone on a windy night at 4am is, shall we say, interesting?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Essendine and Swayfield now.

EssendineClass40downparcelsMay71C607.jpg.d1f627500798ad60ee4da0df548dd808.jpg

Essendine Class 40 down parcels May 71 C607

EssendineClass47upexpassMay71C608.jpg.275efc3fe5fbd87130f3e8c702e88145.jpg

Essendine Class 47 up ex pass May 71 C608 11.05 Bradford to Kings X

EssendineClass55upexpassAug71C679.jpg.10a2795139eabb2137f1ce149443f66c.jpg

Essendine Class 55 up ex pass Aug 71 C679  probably 12.00 Edinburgh to Kings X

EssendineClass471556downexpassAug71C682.jpg.99005b62d74c34bb540dfe6036d2c23e.jpg

Essendine Class 47 1556 down ex pass Aug 71 C682  16.15 Kings X to Cleethorpes

SwayfieldClass31downgoodsMarch71J2525.jpg.f2005193a686174d3287108d697fa599.jpg

Swayfield Class 31 down goods March 71 J2525

David

Amazing looking at your pictures David how often brake coaches were the wrong way round.  I've started running a couple of sets with end brake coaches reversed 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a great selection of photo’s of some model railways.  That’s a lovely overall shot of your later and smaller Swiss n gauge layout as in 2017. It has captured superbly well a Swiss station, and I like the mountainous backscenes.

Now, the photo’s of the Grantham to Nottingham line, plus one of Deepcar, are a delightful selection. In C4977, at Radcliffe on Trent, of the rebuilt bridge, with a refurbished Class 114 unit, on a service to Grantham, in April, 1980, is a superbly composed shot.

The photo’s of the Midland, heading south from Trent, are an excellent set. In C187, at Kegworth, with a train from the gypsum quarry, and a Class 45 on a down express passenger train, on a very dull day in December, 1969, you have taken a delightful juxtaposition of the two trains. 

What a splendid selection of photo’s of the ECML at Essendine and Swayfield. In the first one at Essendine, with a grimy Class 40, on a down parcels train, in May, 1971, that’s an excellent photo’, and what a superb formation of stock, just perfect for someone to model on a large layout.

Finally, the Harrogate photo’s are excellent and full of atmosphere. In J731, with a Class 46, on a Liverpool Lime St. to Newcastle service, in January, 1967, your Dad has composed an excellent shot of the train, and it can be seen that owing to a problem with the headcode box, two headlamps are having to be used to denote Express Passenger.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

maTrentLock44003SkiddawupcoalAug75J4900.jpg.3d5bd1c5efaa8c9bda9898c873484b98.jpg

Trent Lock 44003 Skiddaw up coal Aug 75 J4900

I think it looks more like 44002 Helvellyn there. Zooming in looks like there are 9 letters on the nameplate.

And as for the driver, looks like he's nodding off....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I do love seeing new photos of the WCML in the mid 70’s, a class 83 and 7 Mk1 coaches, and no doubt the same again in Motorail vehicles after that, very inspiring.

Regards

• Like 2