Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s of the Cumbrian Coast line at Askam and Bootle from July, 2004. In IMG_4324, at Askam, on the 29th July, 2004, it can be seen how the style of the station buildings seems to to reflect that of  buildings in the Shropshire area. Timber framing for the waiting room, with quite a large overhang to the roof all puts me in mind of some buildings in and around Shrewsbury. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

Going back to Saturday's Widdrington photographs (sorry, David, I've been away and am just catching up), may I suggest that the J94 in C5478 is actually 68078, rather than 69078 (https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/68078-wd-71463-lner-8078-br-68078/).

With regards to your query against the Class 11 in C5475 & C5476, MP228 is the former 12052 According to my most recent records, it is at the Caledonian Railway in Brechin, these days.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, 35A said:

Going back to Saturday's Widdrington photographs (sorry, David, I've been away and am just catching up), may I suggest that the J94 in C5478 is actually 68078, rather than 69078 (https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/68078-wd-71463-lner-8078-br-68078/).

With regards to your query against the Class 11 in C5475 & C5476, MP228 is the former 12052 According to my most recent records, it is at the Caledonian Railway in Brechin, these days.

Thanks for the information.

I've run out of excuses for my typos at the moment!

David

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

C2067 2nd coach is one of those few motor luggage van conversions by the look of it. Was discussed here yonks ago. 
edit: page 6 of this thread!

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, JeffP said:

The 4F in J 069...superb photo.

I don't suppose you have it in hi-res?

I'd love that framed.

I've sent you a PM

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a truly superb selection of photo’s from various dates and locations. I must add that J069 is truly outstanding, and so full of atmosphere. A photo’ which would make a great oil painting. The last photo’ of Stainby sidings, ex-British Steel, with ex-BR class 14, 0-6-0, shunting, in November, 1968, shows a fascinating scene which is now long gone, except in photo’s such as this one.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of the Glasgow and South Western railway from Glasgow to Carlisle, as photographed on the 31st August 2007. In DSC_2676, at New Cumnock, you can see not only the semaphore signals but the box too. It’s good the traditional signalling lasted so long there. I haven’t been there for some time, but I can only guess that colour lights may have replaced the semaphores by now.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2022 at 15:52, DaveF said:

475198494_oPyeBridge4FdownemptycoalOct63J069.jpg.5f7daf579e443fa6006d3fdb991cf734.jpg

Pye Bridge 4F down empty coal Oct 63 J069  This has always been one of my favourites of Dad's photos.

David

What an absolutely superb shot. I grew up in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire in the late 50s and 60s and this picture takes me right back to that period.

When I see such pictures that really mean something to me I like to look on Google and old NLS maps to "explore" the area. Such research shows the close web of lines close by which served all of the many collieries in the area but Google maps also showed up something modern which has intrigued me. If, on current Google aerial maps,  you follow the road in the picture down under the bridge and a few hundred yards along on the left there is a short length of railway track in a yard. At first glance it looks like an old railway yard but is in fact where there was a wharf for the Pinxton Canal (a branch of the Cromford canal). While the area around was surrounded by old "Tramways" and lines none of the maps show any of them reaching the wharf where the track now lies.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone know why there is a short length (100 yds?) of track there please?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Butterley,+Ripley+DE5+3QZ/@53.071606,-1.347421,165m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879929792e2895b:0x9f4e50b35abdb8c4!8m2!3d53.06122!4d-1.402739?hl=en

Dave, I apologise for sidetracking your thread but your Dad's great picture stirred so many memories and this track has intrigued me. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, highpeakman said:

What an absolutely superb shot. I grew up in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire in the late 50s and 60s and this picture takes me right back to that period.

When I see such pictures that really mean something to me I like to look on Google and old NLS maps to "explore" the area. Such research shows the close web of lines close by which served all of the many collieries in the area but Google maps also showed up something modern which has intrigued me. If, on current Google aerial maps,  you follow the road in the picture down under the bridge and a few hundred yards along on the left there is a short length of railway track in a yard. At first glance it looks like an old railway yard but is in fact where there was a wharf for the Pinxton Canal (a branch of the Cromford canal). While the area around was surrounded by old "Tramways" and lines none of the maps show any of them reaching the wharf where the track now lies.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone know why there is a short length (100 yds?) of track there please?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Butterley,+Ripley+DE5+3QZ/@53.071606,-1.347421,165m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879929792e2895b:0x9f4e50b35abdb8c4!8m2!3d53.06122!4d-1.402739?hl=en

Dave, I apologise for sidetracking your thread but your Dad's great picture stirred so many memories and this track has intrigued me. 

If I've followed your link correctly,  I think somehow you've finished up a couple of miles from the bridge in David's photo.

The link photos show the area at the bottom of Butterley Hill, in Ripley, Close to the Midland Railway Centre station, the track being, I'm fairly sure, in what used to be the Butterley company yard.

The bridge in David's photo is at Pye Bridge and crosses the current B600. Just the other side of the bridge was the access road to Pye Hill and Somercotes Station on the Midland Erewash Valley route.

The photo was taken from somewhere close to the bridge over the Great Northern Pinxton branch which some years ago was used as an underpass for large dumper trucks involved in the opencast mining of the area.

Currently the area on the right immediately before the bridge is occupied by several mobile and sectional built homes.

Edit: Apologies I've looked closer at the map and can see you're correct in saying the track is in a yard off the B600, the photos attached to the image are, I'm certain,  from Butterley Hill.

If the track is where I think it is there used to be a crane repair company based there, although I did some CCTV work there 30 or more years ago I don't recall any railway track in the yard.

Edited by great central
Further clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, great central said:

Edit: Apologies I've looked closer at the map and can see you're correct in saying the track is in a yard off the B600, the photos attached to the image are, I'm certain,  from Butterley Hill.

If the track is where I think it is there used to be a crane repair company based there, although I did some CCTV work there 30 or more years ago I don't recall any railway track in the yard.

I have studied the maps and was confident the yard was a few hundred yards up the road to the left on that road. A crane servicing depot could certainly make sense and that length of track would suffice for rail mounted crane testing I guess. Thanks.

As to the photo itself, this is current view. The house on the left, before the bridge, of the old picture has been demolished in years past but shows up on the  old NLS map. The houses beyond look the same. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.071344,-1.3401559,3a,75y,245.86h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSj5W8nAxVk2R4IrcqsxMqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of Damdykes, just south of Cramlington, on the ECML, which you took yesterday. In DSC_0777, with an LNER, 800, on an up express, you can see clearly how well the livery suits the class, especially the upsweep on the cab ends. 
The photo’s of the ECML between Darlington and Newcastle are excellent, and the last one of Tyne Yard, with 60044, on a down empty coal train, on the 3rd September, 1994, shows how even at that date, Tyne Yard was still huge and well used.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2022 at 15:52, DaveF said:

475198494_oPyeBridge4FdownemptycoalOct63J069.jpg.5f7daf579e443fa6006d3fdb991cf734.jpg

Pye Bridge 4F down empty coal Oct 63 J069  This has always been one of my favourites of Dad's photos.

Those tension lock couplings stick out like a sore thumb.

Edited by BoD
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Dave for posting these pictures showing recent traction on the ECM over the years.  I'm probably as confused as you are by the different varieties of 8xx type units, but would just like to point out that DSC0786 shows a 158 rather than a 156, 158s having become much more familiar in the North East in the last couple of years.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Tanfield Railway. In C13738, at Marley Hill, with Hawthorn Leslie, number 2, on a goods train from Sunniside to Andrews House, on the 28th August, 1989, it appears that the double arm signal on the left was just for appearance - there’s no glass in the spectacle plate, with the top one having no back blinder. 
The Austrian photo’s from September, 1989, are excellent and convey some of the charm of that countries railways. In J10352, at Lans Sistrans, with tram 31, on an Innsbruck to Igls service, the tram appears like some that could be seen in Blackpool. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most intriguing selection of photo’s from the Hunday Farm Museum, the Newcastle to Carlisle line, and two closed railway photo’s. The first photo’ of the Hunday Farm Museum, with Hunslet, ‘Hunday’, on the 14th July, 1987, reveals some unusual couplings that look like those used on Juggernauts, and a chimney which I think is the diesel exhaust pipe. It would make a most unusual model, along with the matching carriages. Then, in C20456, at Nilston Rigg, with the trackbed of the former Allendale branch from the road from Hexham to Alston, on the 15th August, 1995, shows how exquisite the countryside is in that area, and thankfully can still be enjoyed from the road, although to go by train would be best of all. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1