Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted some interesting photo’s of Morpeth, and in C6546, with a diverted HST, on an up express, going away via the Blyth and Tyne, in June, 1984, I am having a spot of bother trying to read the power cars number. I have cruelly enlarged the part of the photo’, below the cab windscreen, and can read 431, then also the last number which is an 8. It could be the errant number is a 3 or a 5, but I’m just not quite sure. Can anyone put me out of my misery?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert a word.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. You have posted some interesting photo’s of Morpeth, and in C6546, with a diverted HST, on an up express, going away via the Blyth and Tyne, in June, 1984, I am having a spot of bother trying to read the power cars number. I have cruelly enlarged the part of the photo’, below the cab windscreen, and can read 431, then also the last number which is an 8. It could be the errant number is a 3 or a 5, but I’m just not quite sure. Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Rob,

You should have looked on the front valance rather than the side, it is 43138.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A's at Grantham in the 1950s. all in black and white.

154045880_GranthamA160119PatrickStirlingupexpassc1952JVol6061.jpg.53b11b04432aa009dfb8e49809e1d09b.jpg

Grantham A1 60119 Patrick Stirling up ex pass c1952 JVol6061

1949461536_GranthamA360059TraceryupexpassAugust1959JVol4034.jpg.5b39305c9e4d9319f882fcd2edebcb63.jpg

Grantham A3 60059 Tracery up ex pass August 1959 JVol4034

1887315533_GranthamA360092FairwayexpassKingsxtoNewcastlereadytostartMay51JVol6103.jpg.16eb4c286293aaf18db08527016e7d5b.jpg

Grantham A3 60092 Fairway ex pass Kings X to Newcastle ready to leave May 51 JVol6103

1108115874_GranthamA460014SilverLinkupTeesTynePullmanc1951JVol6071.jpg.cfb5bd668300e1402d56c8675e38c21b.jpg

Grantham A4 60014 Silver Link up Tees Tyne Pullman c1951 JVol6071  Dad used his track permit to take this photo.

1909070212_GranthamA569803uppassc1953JVol7157.jpg.a34a47aed1ee370420709fd35d01917c.jpg

Grantham A5 69803 up pass c1953 JVol7157

David

Great pictures David,  hard to tell but some of those early 50s Pacifics could be blue

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Grantham from the 1950’s. The last photo’ of A5, 69803, on an up passenger train, in c1953, shows three different non corridor carriages with a Thompson brake composite leading, then an ex NER elliptical roofed 49’ eight compartment all third, and bringing up the rear is a Gresley, ex GNR, brake lavatory composite. It would make a lovely train to run on a model railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I assume that the vehicle on the right in the last photo is an LNER full brake, though it looks rather as though it is glazed all the ay along. A trick of the light presumably.

I only ever went there once, and it is now a long way from home.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I assume that the vehicle on the right in the last photo is an LNER full brake, though it looks rather as though it is glazed all the ay along. A trick of the light presumably.

I only ever went there once, and it is now a long way from home.

Jonathan

I think it is just the shadow giving the effect.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Chappel and Wakes Colne preserved line as it was in the seventies. The way it is laid out makes for a series of reversals for trains. In C2783, you can see several engines, N7, 69621, then 4MTT, 80151, and S15, 841, from the 12th June, 1976 - possibly a hot weather day. It is certainly interesting to see those engines in various states of repair.

Thank you for posting more of your Dad’s black and white photo’s, covering Boston and Sleaford from the late forties and the early fifties. They convey what words not always can do. In the last photo’, at Sleaford, with a V2, 60948, on a down express passenger train, in c1954, it can be seen that the bottom of the firebox is equal to the cabside sheeting, and that there are no visible rivits. I will take off the rivits from the new Bachmann model appropriately, but there is no need to alter the bottom of the firebox. Such a useful photo’ for modelling. Also the rear of the bucket seat in the cab has some vertical straps visible, so I’ll have to add them to the rear of the seats. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s of the Tyne and Wear Metro, from between Backworth and Tynemouth. In C16687, at Whitley Bay, with a Metro from Pelaw to St James, on the 15th February, 1992, I can’t help noticing all the things like the greenhouses, old doors, etc., in what look like allotments. As so often, that will help with making models of allotments. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s from around Butterwell Junction, just north of Ulgham Lane level crossing on the ECML in Northumberland. In the first photo’, you have captured so perfectly that two car class 101 receding into the distance, on a down service, on the 28th May, 1985. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is an excellent set of photo’s of Morpeth from the eighties. The last photo’ of cement mixing wagons for the electrification work, on the 22nd July, 1989, are something which I don’t recall seeing before and I’m sure would make delightful models, along with the other vehicles etc., 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing on the ECML in Northumberland from the early nineties. In C16863, with an unidentified class 90, in Swallow livery, pushing a Glasgow Central to London Kings Cross express on the 23rd May, 1992, you have captured a great scene with that 90 which was not to be seen everyday. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Regarding C20116, I believe I was on that trip and SNG was taken off at Berwick where it was found the tender hand brake had been left on. 
Train was stuck in siding North of Berwick station while a locomotive came to take the train forward to Edinburgh and over the Forth and back.

I remember someone waiting for the return at Newcastle to photograph it and asking what happened to SNG, had it happened now news would have got round in about 2 minutes!

• Informative/Useful 2