Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I like the Kesteven registration on the orange car in J3824. I bet they didn't get many of those in SW Scotland. 

That was Dad's Citroen Dyane .  They used it on holidays as Mum's MGB GT was a bit small for their luggage.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo's. In the first one, at Drumlanrig Tunnel, with a  class 108 DMU on a Glasgow to Carlisle train, in  August, 1973, it must have been quite warm, for the driver is in his shirt sleeves.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

That was Dad's Citroen Dyane .  They used it on holidays as Mum's MGB GT was a bit small for their luggage.

David

My first car when I was 18 was a Citreon 2CV, Beachcomber (the family joke being they built it using bits they found on a beach), the car I wanted was an MGB GT! That was just over 25 years ago. Although you saw a fair number of both then, sadly you don't see many of either now.

My Technical teacher who was a Citreon fan and married to my French teacher told me "just floor it everywhere in third". Good advice for the 602cc. You don't round down to 600cc when you only had 602cc. Mind you one night the lead to one of the two cylinders had a bad connection and all I had to get me home was 301cc. Every now and then it would remake and it would take off again with full power temporarily restored. Happy days.

Thanks again for all your photos which also remind me of those happy days.

• Like 2

Dave - Great photos of Scotland once again, If I can just correct you on the caption for J3972 "Davidsons Mains site of CR bridge over B9055 remains of Barnton branch Aug 74".  This had me scratching my head trying to place the photo as there was no overbridge at this location, the bridge passes under the B9055 whihc is the road curving off to the left of the photograph.  This can be seen on the annotated map below, I have marked where I believe the photo was taken.

post-188-0-84814300-1528961124_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots today, David, with the added human interest of the lineside resident fixing his car. I don’t know how many (if any) days you have missed since starting your photographic walk down memory lane but I for one would not want you to risk further health issues for the sake of continuity. Please take a break if your posts on here are causing you problems, and I hope you are back to full strength soon.

• RMweb Gold

We've had that car before, haven't we?

We have indeed.  Dad took a lot of photos there, the car was often parked by the house.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly I hope the surgery will cure the painful problem for you. If you need a short break from posting photos, then as stated earlier on, that's not a problem.

Chaloners Whin looks a good in today's photo's. I like them all, but J658, with class 47, or Brush Type 4, as I believe they were still known as back in 1966, D1865, on an up freight, in October, 1966 looks so good in what seems a quite clean condition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

Hi Dave

I'm sure everyone here would agree that if trying to keep posting these fantastic photo's is causing you pain, then perhaps a break might not be a bad idea.

Wish you all the best.

Phil

Looks like a Riley 1.5 One-Point-Five Saloon to me. There's a picture of one (from the front, all hatches closed) in the same colour on the Riley Wikipedia page (About 2/3rds down the page, on the right).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_Motor

Wonder if the chap ever got an Allegro?

Watch it - I had an Allegro for a few years. It must have been the one they built on the day of a full moon with an x in the month and in between strikes. Gave me faultless service until some ****** wrote it off for me...

Edited by talisman56

Nice train of Mexphalte/Shellphalte tanks in Chaloners Whin Junction Class 47 D1865 up freight Oct 66 J658

I helped Peter Fidczuk measure one of these and the drawing is published in:

Fidczuk, Peter. (1993) Air Ministry tank wagons part 2: Post war service. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 2) pp 60 - 69.

A nice project for anyone wanting to convert an anchor mount tank

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Watch it - I had an Allegro for a few years. It must have been the one they built on the day of a full moon with an x in the month and in between strikes. Gave me faultless service until some ****** wrote it off for me...

did they start the engine ?

(I had a maroon one for a few months, the engine mountings had sheared and the engine used to hit the bulkhead as I accelerated (and I use that term very loosely) away.)

• Like 1

As many have already said, David, your health is of more importance than posting images here for our gratification. However, we remain endlessly thankful for your generosity in sharing these wonderful pictures taken by yourself and your father. If it becomes too painful for you, then please take a break until you are "fixed".

Wishing you all the best for a speedy resolution and a return to full mobility.

Don't worry about posting here David, what you have already given us so far is a wonderful treasure trove of images for which we are all grateful. I also wish you a speedy and full recovery.