Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi, Dave. I like the Southern EMU photo's. In particular there's a good view of the magnificent engineering structure of the bridge in J6020 at Rochester with a Class 411 on a down service, in April, 1978.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Aye back in day when such things were permitted - inspection of the wheeltimbers under traffic would involve climbing into the girder framework as a place of safety - train speed is relatively low over the bridge so it was easily achieved in plenty of time

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland line photo's from Nottingham to Loughborough. In J5295, at Kegworth, the DMU, on a Leicester to Nottingham train, in June, 1976, is actually a class 116. You can tell from the four lamp cab end, which none of the class 114's had, and the roof vents, which are more numerous and arranged differently.  It's interesting to see a Mk2 FK in maroon in the last photo' at Normanton on Soar, with a class 45, on a Manchester to St Pancras express, in April, 1966.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland line photo's from Nottingham to Loughborough. In J5295, at Kegworth, the DMU, on a Leicester to Nottingham train, in June, 1976, is actually a class 116. You can tell from the four lamp cab end, which none of the class 114's had, and the roof vents, which are more numerous and arranged differently.  It's interesting to see a Mk2 FK in maroon in the last photo' at Normanton on Soar, with a class 45, on a Manchester to St Pancras express, in April, 1966.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

One day I'll get the dmus identified correctly - I promise - but it may be a long time in the future.

David

• RMweb Premium

What was in the other platform at Kenny David? The observation car is the old WCJS rebuild, so guessing some sort of steamer?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

What was in the other platform at Kenny David? The observation car is the old WCJS rebuild, so guessing some sort of steamer?

Andy G

The special was one of Bill McAlpine's days out for friends etc., he also owned the CR saloon at the time.

Dad was on the train, I wasn't, so I only have the caption details.

I think that the saloon had been removed from the train as it was at the wrong end for the return to London, but cannot be sure.  I know Dad (and Mum who was also on the train) gave me a detailed account of the day out but cannot now remember all the details.

David

The 'Celebration Steam Run', remember it well.post-12365-0-17942200-1528054575_thumb.jpeg

I think the picture with me, as a sixteen year old, was taken by Dad at Banbury but it could have been Didcot.

We picked it up at Tysley, Dad's friend took the picture with the train approaching same.

After a visit to the GWS at Didcot it was class 47 haulage to Hereford via the Severn Tunnel and Newport.

The train went into Bulmers where KGV was kept and a trip round the cider factory (?) where if I remember correctly the fermentation vessel were named NASA space programs, Apollo etc, strange how I recollect that.

Thanks for posting Dave, and all the other images over the years too.

Cheers

Brendan

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the K.& W.V.R. photo’s. Full of interest, and the second one, C536, at Mytholmes tunnel, in April, 1971, has what appears to be the remains of a landslide. I’m wondering if it was anything to do with the landslide which was staged in the film, The Railway Children?

The Great Western photo’s are equally full of interest, and I like seeing the CR observation saloon in J3644. I hope a model will one day be made available of it. And King George V makes a fine sight in the second photo, J3405.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the K.& W.V.R. photo’s. Full of interest, and the second one, C536, at Mytholmes tunnel, in April, 1971, has what appears to be the remains of a landslide. I’m wondering if it was anything to do with the landslide which was staged in the film, The Railway Children?

The Great Western photo’s are equally full of interest, and I like seeing the CR observation saloon in J3644. I hope a model will one day be made available of it. And King George V makes a fine sight in the second photo, J3405.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I am pretty sure it was "The Railway Children" landslip.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML in County Durham photo’s. Apart from a saw needed for the first three photo’s, they are further reminders of the long hot, sunny summer of 1976. But quite cloudy, and maybe a little cooler when those trains were photographed. 46040, on a Paignton to Newcastle train, in August, makes a fine sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

... the second one, C536, at Mytholmes tunnel, in April, 1971, has what appears to be the remains of a landslide. I’m wondering if it was anything to do with the landslide which was staged in the film, The Railway Children?...

I am pretty sure it was "The Railway Children" landslip.

David

I seem to recall being strangely disturbed by the sight of that tree, possibly because as it stayed upright it seemed to be marching down the hillside...

I seem to recall being strangely disturbed by the sight of that tree, possibly because as it stayed upright it seemed to be marching down the hillside...

Me too; Maybe I'd recently read 'Day of the Triffids' !

The 'Celebration Steam Run', remember it well.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I think the picture with me, as a sixteen year old, was taken by Dad at Banbury but it could have been Didcot.

We picked it up at Tysley, Dad's friend took the picture with the train approaching same.

After a visit to the GWS at Didcot it was class 47 haulage to Hereford via the Severn Tunnel and Newport.

The train went into Bulmers where KGV was kept and a trip round the cider factory (?) where if I remember correctly the fermentation vessel were named NASA space programs, Apollo etc, strange how I recollect that.

Thanks for posting Dave, and all the other images over the years too.

Cheers

Brendan

Brendan, the photo of you next to the King is Didcot, up relief platform by the looks of it. Looks very different now with the wires up!

• RMweb Gold

Brendan, the photo of you next to the King is Didcot, up relief platform by the looks of it. Looks very different now with the wires up!

Now then Nidge - you young fellahs are all the same,  don't know the difference between a 'King' and a 'Castle' when they're staring you in the face :O .  The engine in that picture is 7029 (but you did get thh location right of course  :sungum: 

• Like 1