Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I wondered if that was the original extent of the canopy?

Sorry,I understand now.

The canopy was added in 1860/1 when the raised platform was built.  It originally had four bays going to the right, the one furthest to the right when it was built was in front of the 1st class waiting room, which was demolished at some time.  The remaining bay was left to provide shelter for the booking office window in the wooden extension seen in the photo.

Information from "A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway 1824 to 1870" , Bill Fawcett, pub North Eastern Railway Association  ISBN 978 1 873513 69 9.

Edited to add a sentence.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo's. In the first one is a superb portrait of 56076, on 9th March, 1985, at Hexham. So well composed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

That's what I was looking at originally when I commented about the station being where "Buchan Braes" Sign is

Dave's Dad's photo is taken from the other end of Seaview Road. (off that map)

Cheers

Keith

Photos of trains and places on the Newcastle to Carlisle line today, from the mid 1980s.

The first part of the line opened in 1835, so it is a very early railway.

attachicon.gifWetheral Fri 11th April 86 C7390.jpg

Wetheral Fri 11th April 86 C7390

attachicon.gifWetheral Fri 11th April 86 C7391.jpg

Wetheral Fri 11th April 86 C7391

David

Ref the Wetheral station building photo. On the far right is the start of the footbridge for the viaduct over the River Eden This cast iron footpath connected Wetheral with Great Corby. This was added to the north face in 1851, because so many people were trespassing on the trackbed, in order to cross. Initially, a half-penny toll, each way, was charged, having risen to a penny by the time the station closed in 1956. Train services resumed in 1981 and pedestrian passage is now free.

I remember paying one penny to cross the viaduct on numerous occasions in the 1950s. Tolls were collected from the ticket booking window which was one of the the windows beside the clock if my memory is correct.

Edited to include station name

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave J4901

I can remember a day's spotting by the Trent Viaduct C1960

Dad was working nearby that day and dropped me off.

It's the only place I ever saw any Co-Bos, It was mainly steam then.

(I assume taken from the Canal towpath?)

Thanks again for the posts

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Trent area photos, and the bridge is quite low in J5253, and C7551. No wonder we could not have double deck trains in this country. The grass in the long hot summer of 1976 was indeed as shown in the last photo. I remember it well, and the difficult nights, trying to sleep in a hot and sweaty bed!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave J4901

I can remember a day's spotting by the Trent Viaduct C1960

Dad was working nearby that day and dropped me off.

It's the only place I ever saw any Co-Bos, It was mainly steam then.

(I assume taken from the Canal towpath?)

Thanks again for the posts

Cheers

Keith

Yes, it was taken from the towpath.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Settle and Carlisle line photo’s. They convey well the stark grandeur of the line. C3739 is a glorious shot of Green Arrow as she hauls her train over Ribblehead viaduct. I doubt we will ever get to see her in steam again, for work on her, which is needed, has been put on hold in some way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C3523 is a great photo, the kind of thing it is impossible to model and a reminder of how long many goods trains were.

Jonathan

I'm thinking N gauge is possible, even if that is only half the train.

Going back to Trent class 20s (J4901) the front one is a disc one still in green. That must narrow it down a bit by 1975.....

Dave

A trip to North Wales today to see the Snowdon Mountain Railway as it was between 1972 and 1982.  

The sun actually shone sometimes!

David

We were on a holiday in North Wales and one day the sun was out, and in the blue sky there wasn't a cloud to be seen from horizon to horizon.

"Today's the day to go up Snowdon" we said.

Got on the train, 55 minutes later we were approaching the summit when we went into a dirty great cloud. The only one to be seen, and it was sitting on top of Snowdon! :banghead: :angry:

Some great selections over the past few days Dave, many thanks for sharing. The Peak shot at Ribblehead in March '78 is an absolute gem, it looks bloody cold! It's odd to think it was taken forty years ago, the same goes for the two HST shots at Padd and Reading from the same year.... four decades gone in an instant.

A trip to North Wales today to see the Snowdon Mountain Railway as it was between 1972 and 1982.  

The sun actually shone sometimes!

David

I visited the Snowdon Mountain Railway with my Mum, Dad and sisters in Summer 1973, but due to the weather trains were only going as fas as Clogwyn. Not until 2008 did I manage to visit again, this time with my own children, and do the last section to the Summit. Great photos as always David.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Snowdon Mountain Railway photo’s. So full of interest, and I see there was more than one diagram of carriage in use.

The Great Western photo’s are equally interesting. The HST’s certainly had some grimey cab ends at times, and in C3663, at Reading, on an up service, the HST class 43 power car has lost the last three numbers of the set number.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

1E05 was 10.00 Edinburgh - KX 'The Flying Scotsman'

Great pics again, Dave. Can just imagine being able to hear the Deltics a mile away - was this a 100mph stretch?

Yes it was 100mph.

David

Having looked at Napier Chronicles, and IF my small(ish) nameplate theory is correct it looks almost certain to be 55020 Nimbus which work 1E05 twice in Sept 72, once on the 14th and once on the 24th .

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/20-72.htm

Pinza didn't work it and Meld spent all of sept 72 in the plant at donny

Edited by Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photo’s. So much to see, and the Deltics at 100 m.p.h. make such powerful sights. The first photo also shows that weathered carriage roofs must be finished in a matt finish, not semi gloss or gloss as sometimes is the case on models. In J5575, it’s hard to believe the previous summer had been so hot and dry for so long.

With warmest regards,

Rob.