Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I used to work for BT/GPO and had contact with one of the guys there who said that the airborne radiation around the site was so high that you could hold a fluorescent tube in one hand and it would glow!

Seen it done under a 132kV overhead line.

I think it was Daventry transmitting station (used by the BBC to transmit to the whole country).

They have apparently been taken down now

Not all of them - there are still some of the shorter ones standing. The twelve tallest masts were taken down several years ago now though.... coming home from Euston you could see their red warning lights at night as you came through Long Bucky, they're much missed by many Rugbians!

I'll be on a ballast job between Kilsby and Hillmorton on Saturday night, not much has changed in this area aside from the weeds.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Edinburgh Waverley photo's. So much of interest to see. In J3262,the class 37, 6849, on an ecs train, looks good and purposeful in BR blue livery, and it's a shame 37's are still not working passenger services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I lived in Daventry in the 70s. My dad went into the local electrical shop to enquire about a stereo to pick up the new FM radio stations that were being launched, he was told not to bother as the FM signal from the nearby transmitter on the hill went straight over the top of the town.

Back then the local rec opposite the cinema had an old 0-6-0ST to play on. Anyone know what happened to that?

Dave

I can't access my data records at the moment, but it should be on here. Need a little searching probably though, as it is a previous location. I saw it there, and know it has moved on,

Stewart

http://uklocos.com/

A visit to Edinburgh in August 1973 for today, with most of the photos having been taken in Princes Street Gardens.

attachicon.gifEdinburgh Class 47 to Edinburgh Aug 73 J3263.jpg

Edinburgh Class 47 to Edinburgh Aug 73 J3263 11 20 FSO Manchester Victoria to Edinburgh

attachicon.gifEdinburgh Class 27 perhaps 5379 Glasgow to Edinburgh Aug 73 J3266.jpg

Edinburgh Class 27 perhaps 5379 Glasgow to Edinburgh Aug 73 J3266

David

To my eyes, J3263 is 1524 or 1624 (second digit is the least clear) and J3266 is 5399 (the experts on air brakes might have something to say).

post-29052-0-45022400-1526581987.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pictures today, David. I stood on that bridge in Princes Street Gardens less than two weeks ago. Nothing as interesting as a class 27, 37 or 47 passed underneath but I did see my first 68 there.

To my eyes, ... and J3266 is 5399 (the experts on air brakes might have something to say).

I tend to agree. It certainly isn't 5379, as it's one of the push-pull fitted locos (and 5379 wasn't push-pull fitted). You can see the second loco at the back of the train.

It's great to see pictures from those E&G days. I spent some time (and a couple of all-line rail rovers) up there in the 1970s and, regrettably, whilst I have some pictures of several of the push-pull locos, they were mainly photographed on Haymarket and Eastfield depots, rather than on the trains themselves.

Wonderful pictures (as always), evoking memories of my first visit to Scotland (in 1975) when I left my parents and sisters to do touristy things while I spotted from the footbridge in Princes Street Gardens. Little did I know then that later in life I would have Control responsibility for those lines !

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside and Boulby photo’s. Boulby makes a great subject for photography. The first photo, at South Bank, with 47304 on a down limestone train, on 31st, July, 1986, has some wagons in the formation that I’m not familiar with. They are the ones with what appears to be red coloured ends. I wonder what they were for, if what Im seeing is right.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob

In case not answered, they are all the same design of hoppers for Limestone - some had red top skips http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britishsteelpga/e44707cc

Paul

I can't access my data records at the moment, but it should be on here. Need a little searching probably though, as it is a previous location. I saw it there, and know it has moved on,

Stewart

http://uklocos.com/

According to my records, Bagnall 2654/1942. Now at Rushden (the old station which is a transport museum).

Search UKLocos for works no 2654, date 1942

Stewart

Not all of them - there are still some of the shorter ones standing. The twelve tallest masts were taken down several years ago now though.... coming home from Euston you could see their red warning lights at night as you came through Long Bucky, they're much missed by many Rugbians!

In the late 90s, seeing the red lights meant I had slept through Northampton....

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the excellent set of Harrogate photo's. They are most atmospheric, and the class 101 DMU on a Darlington to Leeds train in July,  1965, in J209, has a repainted DMBS leading, which, I see has received the two cream stripe finish, along with an NER number prefix. And class 40 D252, on a  Newcastle to Liverpool express in June,1965, in J204, looks superb, and I wish locomotives could be like that today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the excellent set of Harrogate photo's. They are most atmospheric, and the class 101 DMU on a Darlington to Leeds train in July,  1965, in J209, has a repainted DMBS leading, which, I see has received the two cream stripe finish, along with an NER number prefix.

The trailer also has two stripes, but someone must have used too much water as the decals have slipped......

In the final shot, I take it everyone is in the brake van having a brew, and have forgotten to invite the driver in the 08.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The met-cam is interesting as the front two cats look like they have had a repaint, but only the first is in the later two stripe livery, the trailer has still got three stripe livery. The are coupled to a nicely work stained three stripe DMS. If you modelled that you would be told how that would never happen.

Andy g

In the final shot, I take it everyone is in the brake van having a brew, and have forgotten to invite the driver in the 08.

Dave

The 08 is the motive power for the crane, you can just make out the driver looking out of the cab window for instructions. Everybody else has got out of the way. Had to do the same job once with the Hereford pilot when the self propelled crane being used to remove track in the station, broke down. Vey intense as accurace and care was paramount.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth photo’s. So full of interest, and things have certainly changed over the succeeding years. The elevator in the sixth photo’ would, as so much would, make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.