Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Those are a great set of ECML photo’s. The first one at Raskelf, in July, 1966, with Deltic D9018, on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley express, shows, apart from a fantastic shot of a Deltic hauled express passenger train, some work clearly going on. I just can’t recall what the work was though.

The last photo’ shows a remarkable train, which would make a great model, with a class 31, two Mk1 barrier coaches, and a Mk3 HST TS.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Those are a great set of ECML photo’s. The first one at Raskelf, in July, 1966, with Deltic D9018, on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley express, shows, apart from a fantastic shot of a Deltic hauled express passenger train, some work clearly going on. I just can’t recall what the work was though.

The last photo’ shows a remarkable train, which would make a great model, with a class 31, two Mk1 barrier coaches, and a Mk3 HST TS.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think it may have just been the remains of the station and goods yard, but cannot really remember.

For some reason Dad and I very rarely took photos there.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland line photos between Newark and Nottingham. The second one, C2975 at Gonalston Crossing in January, 1976, makes a splendid view of the class 47 on an up,oil train against a typical January sky, with the trees making a stark contrast. I would like to see that translated onto a model, it would, I think, be quite a challenge. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cottesmore Photo's. They show a great variety of stock that was there at the time of the photo's. In particular,  Hunslet No 24, in August,1983, in C6175. It makes quite a sight in bright yellow. The photo's at Floriston, on the WCML, are splendid, and I too have misgivings about that yellow on 47053 in the last photo'. If not ViTrains maybe it is one of Dapols iffy paint jobs! 

With warmest regards,

Rob.                                                                                               

Hi, Dave. I like the Cottesmore Photo's. They show a great variety of stock that was there at the time of the photo's. In particular,  Hunslet No 24, in August,1983, in C6175. It makes quite a sight in bright yellow. The photo's at Floriston, on the WCML, are splendid, and I too have misgivings about that yellow on 47053 in the last photo'. If not ViTrains maybe it is one of Dapols iffy paint jobs! 

With warmest regards,

Rob.                                                                                               

The lack of yellow on 47053 was quite common on some replated 47s.

Not the best paint job I’ve ever seen...

I will probably get into trouble for saying this, but that looks to me like a colour balance setting error on the scanner. 

I can reproduce that kind of "colour scheme" on my film scanner by overdoing the output vs input curves. 

• RMweb Gold

I will probably get into trouble for saying this, but that looks to me like a colour balance setting error on the scanner. 

I can reproduce that kind of "colour scheme" on my film scanner by overdoing the output vs input curves. 

It wasn't the scanner, the original slide had poor colours - as do almost all my photos of the period.  I was using film marketed by Supasnaps in an attempt to save my money.  It was made by 3M and has proved over the years to have two problems:

The first is that it appears that the contrast increases with time - basically the light parts fade more than the dark part and the dark parts seem to go "muddy".

The second, and more serious, is that the colours change,  and it takes a lot of work in Photoshop to try to get them anywhere near "correct".

Each film I used at this time seems to have a different colour shift, even slides from the same film have varying colour shifts depending on whether they were stored in a projector magazine or a slide box (the very best were in projector magazines).  

I can improve the blue in Photoshop by increasing levels of blue and cyan, but it can often make a mess of other colours.

I suppose I should be thankful that the slides did not all fade to magenta which many other makes of film tend to do.

Another version of the photo is below, though it still leaves the poor yellow paintwork which was certainly quite common at the time together with the original scan and another version.  Also a second version of the other photo of the same loco, which shows ts other end.

This is why I always say you should never rely on colour rendition on a slide to give an indication of what a colour was really like.  Using a scanner, Photoshop and then displaying it on a monitor (and most peoples' monitors are not calibrated) often makes the colours even less accurate.

post-5613-0-38824300-1525038184_thumb.jpg

Floriston 47053 up l e 11th April 86 C7405

post-5613-0-71934500-1525038657_thumb.jpg

7405 original scan.  The only change made has been to reduce the size to display here.

post-5613-0-62513500-1525038610_thumb.jpg

7405a  another version

post-5613-0-73200900-1525037182_thumb.jpg

Floriston 47053 down 11th April 86 C7401

Edited as I forgot to post one of the images.

Edited again to add a couple more versions.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14

It wasn't the scanner, the original slide had poor colours - as do almost all my photos of the period.  I was using film marketed by Supasnaps in an attempt to save my money.  It was made by 3M and has proved over the years to have two problems:

The first is that it appears that the contrast increases with time - basically the light parts fade more than the dark part and the dark parts seem to go "muddy".

The second, and more serious, is that the colours change,  and it takes a lot of work in Photoshop to try to get them anywhere near "correct".

Each film I used at this time seems to have a different colour shift, even slides from the same film have varying colour shifts depending on whether they were stored in a projector magazine or a slide box (the very best were in projector magazines).  

I can improve the blue in Photoshop by increasing levels of blue and cyan, but it can often make a mess of other colours.

I suppose I should be thankful that the slides did not all fade to magenta which many other makes of film tend to do.

Another version of the photo is below, though it still leaves the poor yellow paintwork which was certainly quite common at the time together with the original scan and another version.  Also a second version of the other photo of the same loco, which shows ts other end.

This is why I always say you should never rely on colour rendition on a slide to give an indication of what a colour was really like.  Using a scanner, Photoshop and then displaying it on a monitor (and most peoples' monitors are not calibrated) often makes the colours even less accurate.

Exactly so, David. I used to use Bonusprint. I also made a couple of schoolboy errors, like using ASA100 film in the early days and getting my prints on matt paper. The latter is not so much a problem where the original negatives are in reasonable condition but it has meant that, where they are not, it is impossible to get a decent scan from the print.

Consequently, very few of my shots up to the mid 1970s are anywhere near the quality that you have achieved with your father's and your own pictures. That, in itself, makes this thread a sheer delight to follow on a daily basis, for which I am eternally grateful.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry David, I seem to have caused a bit of confusion. My remark in post #13130 referred to the first picture of 47053 (the one where you can see lots of bare metal on the loco's front), not the second one (same loco, date, location, but in the opposite direction) where the colour is a bit off because of the film quality. My apologies.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry David, I seem to have caused a bit of confusion. My remark in post #13130 referred to the first picture of 47053 (the one where you can see lots of bare metal on the loco's front), not the second one (same loco, date, location, but in the opposite direction) where the colour is a bit off because of the film quality. My apologies.

I got confused too which is why I ended putting versions of both photos on late last night.

Both ends actually have poor paintwork.

David

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I reckon the 40 in C5244 is a Deltic. It has a large nameplate in the centre of the body side and would be much more likely to be on air-conditioned stock than a 40.

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I reckon the 40 in C5244 is a Deltic. It has a large nameplate in the centre of the body side and would be much more likely to be on air-conditioned stock than a 40.

I think you are right.  I have now corrected my notes.

Thanks very much.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from Northumberland in the 1980’s. In the on at Buston Barns, with class 47 47472, on an up empty coaching stock train, on 19th October, 1985, in C7241, I see the Mk1 BG, and BSK were still riding on BR1 bogies.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A few more photos from Cottesmore this morning, now better known as Rocks by Rail.

attachicon.gifCottesmore Barclay Sir Thomas Roydon Aug 83 C6171.jpg

Cottesmore Barclay Sir Thomas Roydon Aug 83 C6171

attachicon.gifCottesmore Peckett Uppingham Aug 83 C6172.jpg

Cottesmore Peckett Uppingham Aug 83 C6172

attachicon.gifCottesmore Hunslet 24 Aug 83 C6175.jpg

Cottesmore Hunslet No 24      Aug 83 C6175

attachicon.gifCottesmore Barclay Salmon parts Peckett Elizabeth GER 6 wheel coach Aug 83 C6176.jpg

Cottesmore Barclay Salmon parts Peckett Elizabeth GER 6 wheel coach Aug 83 C6176

attachicon.gifCottesmore Wisbech and Upwell coach body Aug 83 C6178.jpg

Cottesmore Wisbech and Upwell coach body Aug 83 C6178

David

Hi David, a small correction to C6172, the loco is actually Hawthorn Leslie 3865/1936 'Singapore' which was delivered new to Singapore RN dockyard and indeed captured by the Japanese in 1942 when they took Singapore. It is reputed to still have evidence of shrapnel damage sustained during the heavy fighting.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, a small correction to C6172, the loco is actually Hawthorn Leslie 3865/1936 'Singapore' which was delivered new to Singapore RN dockyard and indeed captured by the Japanese in 1942 when they took Singapore. It is reputed to still have evidence of shrapnel damage sustained during the heavy fighting.

Thanks very much.

When I posted the photo I thought it didn't look right for a Peckett but had no better idea as to what it might be.

I've amended the caption.

David