Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway Centre photo’s, and I see the DMUs they have these days are notable by their absence.

That’s a great set of ECML photos, including in C15490, at Damdykes with a 142, ‘Skipper’ unit, on the 10.50 Morpeth to Newcastle train, on 3rd, November, 1990.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

In the north east today on one of the early railways, photos from June 1975.

They are some more from Mum and Dad's trip with the RCHS to look at the Stockton and Darlington along with other early railways in the area.

attachicon.gifShildon tunnel south end June 75 J4450.jpg

Shildon tunnel south end June 75 J4450

attachicon.gifShildon tunnel south portal and aqueduct June 75 J4452.jpg

Shildon tunnel south portal and aqueduct June 75 J4452

attachicon.gifShildon June 75 J4453.jpg

hildon June 75 J4453

attachicon.gifShildon yard June 75 J4457.jpg

Shildon yard June 75 J4457

attachicon.gifSimpasture Junction Clarence Railway view east June75 J4461.jpg

Simpasture Junction Clarence Railway view east June 75 J4461

attachicon.gifSimpasture Junction Class 37 down freight June 75 J4464.jpg

Simpasture Junction Class 37 down freight June 75 J4464

David

Yet more very interesting photos Dave. At first glance, the righthand switch of the crossover nearest the camera in J4452 seems to be "stood off" from the stock rail. Could be a trick of the light (reflection from a well greased/oiled slide chair) or an issue with the photo processing. On second glance (photo enlarged), the switch still seems to be "off". Interesting deception if it is a trick of the light etc.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Yet more very interesting photos Dave. At first glance, the righthand switch of the crossover nearest the camera in J4452 seems to be "stood off" from the stock rail. Could be a trick of the light (reflection from a well greased/oiled slide chair) or an issue with the photo processing. On second glance (photo enlarged), the switch still seems to be "off". Interesting deception if it is a trick of the light etc.

Regards, Ian.

I noticed that too when I posted the image.  I've just had a look at the original scan and it is just the same, so it isn't a sharpening artefact.

It is probably a "trick of the light" unless someone else knows different.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Shildon photos. That point is definitely not right. Both switch rails are clearly not making contact with the relevant stock rails. It really would have needed urgent investigation and rectification, so that, when set for either way, the relevant switch rail would have made proper contact with the relevant stock rail. I’ve had such a situation on my model railway, with the resultant derailment! I just hope no trains came to grief until it could have been made right - a replacement tie bar?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David, I wonder if you managed to photograph the points as they were going over. It is possible that the motor on the up side could be slightly faster

They might be deliberately set to be normal with both blades standing off - so they are acting as a drop in trap.

They might be deliberately set to be normal with both blades standing off - so they are acting as a drop in trap.

Not for points leading into a sand drag, the openings look small so I would go for the photographer catching them in mid stroke.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Back to J4452 again, interesting set of traps on the Up line (on the right of the photo) just this side of the aqueduct. Not sure what they were for (assuming they are not there now). A throwback to an earlier configuration and different operating regime perhaps?

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

And as that catch point is set for the running line, not the ballast I say that the crossover cannot be motoring across....

Andy G

That was my original thinking but then (eventually !) I wondered if it wasn't a catch point at all but the remains of an old connection.

• RMweb Premium

If they had left the switch blades in I would have thought that there would be long sleepers and a crossing left too, but there doesn't seem to be any of that there...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest L.T.&S.R. photos. Those two of the Thames Haven Branch look quite rural and tranquil. Indeed, in C2169, in the distance, the trees seem so close to the line. I hope that there were no problems with them.

It’s good to have a further photo’ of MV Edith in the last photo ‘.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Just one question, who is Toad? :jester:

I, too, was desperatley disappointed that there were no toads in the photos.

I still can't type very well.

My proof reading skills are somewhat lacking too.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photos which show how the railway has changed over the years, especially with the loss of the through roads, and electrification. The B1 in the first photo will not be 61306 since the overhead live wire flashes on the tender rear are in the wrong places for that engine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.