Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The 101 was hit at Darlington by 55007 in the late 70s I believe. It was a result of a bit of wood flying up between the loco and the first coach closing the air cocks and trapping air in the brake pipe.

As a consequence it was unable to stop at the north end of platform 4 and hit the dmu leaving the north bay

The damaged car was sold to a scrap dealer at fighting cocks but wasn't actually scrapped until around 1990

Traction motor cover

This seems to be the case with many tunnels, particularly shallower ones. If you look on the NLS maps site, there is often a delineated strip of land directly above the tunnel. Examples are:

Rob

Quite possibly they retained the ownership of the land to prevent anyone excavating/drilling through to the crown of the tunnel...

I remember hearing a story from a Railwayman that was on Deltic 55007 that collided with the class 101 DMU

From what i recall it was a bag of Pandrol clips that had been left in the 4ft that caused the damage and i think the DMU was backing into the bay platform, the train was diverted onto the Bishop Auckland line. I believe a catering worker realised something was wrong and pulled the communication chord. 

Edited by waggy

• RMweb Premium

Quite possibly they retained the ownership of the land to prevent anyone excavating/drilling through to the crown of the tunnel...

Possibly a secondary issue. I believe the main reason was to acquire it as "operational land" for cable routes etc. which made life so much easier.

Regards, Ian.

I remember hearing a story from a Railwayman that was on Deltic 55007 that collided with the class 101 DMU

From what i recall it was a bag of Pandrol clips that had been left in the 4ft that caused the damage and i think the DMU was backing into the bay platform, the train was diverted onto the Bishop Auckland line. I believe a catering worker realised something was wrong and pulled the communication chord. 

Accident report here http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/DoT_Darlington1977.pdf  according to that is was 55008 that collided with the DMU, formed by E56065 and E50213, with the latter sustaining the damage.  So the one pictured on the Railcar site 56395 is not the one involved in this incident.

Edit - here is a photo of 50213 http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/2315

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Midland Railway. In particular J1555 of the Kingston on Soar gypsum mine railway. I've not seen many photos of the line before, and I thank you for posting that one of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

attachicon.gifub Stanton Ironworks 0-4-0 diesel shunter April 69 J1625.jpg

Stanton Ironworks Yorkshire engine Co DE1 or DE2 0-4-0 diesel shunter April 69 J1625

Brilliant thank you.  The loco is one of the three early DE2's at Stanton Nos. 40,41,42 YEC 2596/7/8, recognisable by the bonnet/roof line and the cab door inwards of the window. the main production had the door at the end of the cab.  Just researching at the moment so this has filled a gap.

The photos around the Soar and Trent show just how unpredictable those two rivers can be. I lived in Clifton, south Nottingham, as a student, and many of the roads were flooded around Kegworth In summer the Trent could almost be forded at Clifton, certainly it could be swum, but in winter? A scary beast, the "Murky Trent" as the Notts folk called it.

The 101 was hit at Darlington by 55007 in the late 70s I believe. It was a result of a bit of wood flying up between the loco and the first coach closing the air cocks and trapping air in the brake pipe.

As a consequence it was unable to stop at the north end of platform 4 and hit the dmu leaving the north bay

The damaged car was sold to a scrap dealer at fighting cocks but wasn't actually scrapped until around 1990

I believe it was 55008 that was involved in the collision (& not 55007).

• RMweb Gold

Size of warning panel means chance of a correct ID is better than 1 in 10.

Better than that, from my research, not infallible obviously, but D1, D2 & D3 had yellow panels which didn't follow round the marker lights but came down in straight line from the outer edge, so now we're down to 1 in 7.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was just looking at that Russ

1969 ... and it was the A end of the loco, which is facing us in the photo and which has discs

http://derbysulzers.com/class44.html

So down to 5...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Or as Shakespeare wrote in Henry V Part 1:

​"......And here the smug and silver Trent shall run......."

Nice picture of Lady Angela's Railway (AKA Kingston Gypsum Mines line) too.

D5 was also blue/full yellow ends in 1970. https://www.flickr.com/photos/westernsunset/5650650461/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And D4 was BFYE by 1970....

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1005346105

Down to 6

Phil

Or as Shakespeare wrote in Henry V Part 1:

​"......And here the smug and silver Trent shall run......."

Nice picture of Lady Angela's Railway (AKA Kingston Gypsum Mines line) too.

D5 was also blue/full yellow ends in 1970. https://www.flickr.com/photos/westernsunset/5650650461/in/dateposted-public/

Be careful with the repaint dates, Dave's picture is taken in January and 5 wasn't blue and in traffic until after 29.8.70, don't know when 4 was repainted.

post-5471-0-22381300-1518152855_thumb.jpg

5. Derby works. 29.8.70.

Mike.

• Like 10