Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

C5498 The view south down Grampian Road.

I was there in 1971 and it was much the same but you wouldn't recognise it now

What was once just a village is now a small town with loads of shops & restaurants and is expanding all the time.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s, and in J3340, at Greskine, there is a tractor unit and trailer that are uncoupled, on the verge. I’m wondering what might have happened - a fire?

The signal box at Aviemore South, in the first photo, would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s, and in J3340, at Greskine, there is a tractor unit and trailer that are uncoupled, on the verge. I’m wondering what might have happened - a fire?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In the days before sleeper cabs, some haulage firms would plan out and back runs, exchanging trailers at a mid-way point. The trailers were often just left in an agreed lay-by. I remember John Evans (Pontyberem) would take trailers from Pressed Steel, Llanelli, to somewhere just north-east of Brecon, drop them, and return with another. You still see trailers left like this today, when the tractor unit has been used by the driver to get somewhere to get food or something.

• RMweb Premium

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

It does, even in N gauge. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99523-aviemore-1960s-n-gauge/

Thanks Rob.

Presumably the marker lights were repositioned once the headcode panel was removed and the space plated over?

TBH it is something I had never noticed before. 

When new the Heavyweights didn't all have marker lights just the head code panel.

• RMweb Premium

Another mixed bag from Scotland for today.

The Aviemore photos are my first two colour photos of railway interest.  They were taken while on holiday with a group of friends from University.

attachicon.gifAviemore South 21st June 69 C001.jpg

Aviemore South 21st June 69 C001

David

The image above has a very interesting arrangement of electrical wiring... The street lights have open feeds running along near the top of the posts, then there is a GPO telephone pole, but which doesn't seem to have any wires on it, although I'm guessing it is used as a DP (Distribution Point, so it might have wires coming off at an angle we can't see). Then there is the 3 phase and neutral (or is it earth, I can never remember!) mains electrical supply for the street. Then, lastly there is a 3-wire (phase neutral and earth? or is it two phases and neutral?) feed to the railway, which goes to another post off camera to the right and back to the box. Notice how all bar the streetlights are on railway property. And then there is the token exchange platform, with its hoop to hold an oil lamp, but which presumably has been superseded by the electric bracket off the pole.

And then there is a red P6 on the road too...

Lovely shots.

Andy G

The image above has a very interesting arrangement of electrical wiring... The street lights have open feeds running along near the top of the posts, then there is a GPO telephone pole, but which doesn't seem to have any wires on it, although I'm guessing it is used as a DP (Distribution Point, so it might have wires coming off at an angle we can't see). Then there is the 3 phase and neutral (or is it earth, I can never remember!) mains electrical supply for the street. Then, lastly there is a 3-wire (phase neutral and earth? or is it two phases and neutral?) feed to the railway, which goes to another post off camera to the right and back to the box. Notice how all bar the streetlights are on railway property. And then there is the token exchange platform, with its hoop to hold an oil lamp, but which presumably has been superseded by the electric bracket off the pole.

And then there is a red P6 on the road too...

Lovely shots.

Andy G

From what I can see in the photo, going from left to right is, lamp post with possible 'tap offs ' to supply it. The telegraph pole has 2 isolators with 2 wires which can been seen just at the edge of the photo. The 3rd pole has 5 wires, usual 3-phase has just 3 as neutral-earth end up at the same point and the black thing looks more like a 'phone joint. Fourth pole looks more likely to be electrical. Having said all that, I could be completely wrong!  :)  

• RMweb Premium

From what I can see in the photo, going from left to right is, lamp post with possible 'tap offs ' to supply it. The telegraph pole has 2 isolators with 2 wires which can been seen just at the edge of the photo. The 3rd pole has 5 wires, usual 3-phase has just 3 as neutral-earth end up at the same point and the black thing looks more like a 'phone joint. Fourth pole looks more likely to be electrical. Having said all that, I could be completely wrong!  :)

The black bit is indeed a tap off, but it is an electrical tap off, the GPO didn't use anything that looked like that! I think that it might be a tap off for the feed to the other electrical pole, I know it seems a strange way to do it, but often that's how it was done....

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

J1057 - is the transparency reversed? Otherwise Sir Nigel Gresley is working wrong road.

Another set of fantastic photos Dave. Keep 'em coming.

Regards, Ian.

Edited to correct name of loco.

Edited by iands

• RMweb Gold

J1057 - is the transparency reversed? Otherwise Mallard is working wrong road.

Another set of fantastic photos Dave. Keep 'em coming.

Regards, Ian.

Sir Nigel Gresley is indeed working wrong road.  It was the aftermath of the cement train derailment which caused the write off of DP2.

All the down trains used the up fast, accessing it by the crossovers at Pilmoor signal box, just south of the photo.

david

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the excellent Pilmoor photos. The first one is superb, and brings back memories of WD’s clanking through Beverley station on very long freight trains from York to Hull. I see that in J1057, Sir Nigel Gresley, which is looking immaculate, has a train of Mk1 carriages, but with a Gresley, “Wooden Wall” buffet car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Sir Nigel Gresley is indeed working wrong road.  It was the aftermath of the cement train derailment which caused the write off of DP2.

All the down trains used the up fast, accessing it by the crossovers at Pilmoor signal box, just south of the photo.

Whereas, today, services would just be cancelled for weeks on end and to hell with the travelling public.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway photos. Such a lovely narrow gauge line which has always entranced me.

The Midland Railway photos are excellent, and in C3224, at Gonalston Crossing, the DMU is not a class 114, but a class 103, Park Royal unit. You can see that from the three windows behind the drivers cab instead of two, and also the guards van has the small square windows, completely unlike any other first generation unit. The roof vents are totally different too, and in different places to a 114.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway photos. Such a lovely narrow gauge line which has always entranced me.

The Midland Railway photos are excellent, and in C3224, at Gonalston Crossing, the DMU is not a class 114, but a class 103, Park Royal unit. You can see that from the three windows behind the drivers cab instead of two, and also the guards van has the small square windows, completely unlike any other first generation unit. The roof vents are totally different too, and in different places to a 114.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks for identifying the dmu Rob.  When I captioned the photo I wasn't sure but decided to leave it as in my catalogue, which I have now corrected for future reference.

Most of my other photos on the line show the various dmus very clearly, usually they were Classes 114 and 120, I think now and then a 108 turned up.

I am fairly sure I never saw another Class 103 on the route.

David

• Like 1