Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photos. The first one is a great view of Reston viaduct, showing just how imposing it was. And yet another old railway is converted to a road in the second photo at Port Glasgow, Gouroch branch. So sad.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Yet more nice pics David. Nice to see such a record of railway infrastructure no longer with us, (in most cases). In photo J3257, the viaduct near Reston is in fact Leaderfoot Viaduct, also known as Drygrange Viaduct, and built for the Berwickshire Railway. I visited the location on the 21st September 2015, mainly to see the remains of a Roman Settlement/Fort, "Trimontium". I took some photos of the viaduct, as seen below. It is possible to get to the trackbed, although it is not possible to cross the viaduct, via an observation point built to look over the Roman Camp.

Overall view of the viaduct taken from the old road bridge over the River Tweed.

attachicon.gifLeaderfoot Viaduct-1. 21st September 2015..jpg

The view from nearly the same spot as Davids photo.

attachicon.gifLeaderfoot Viaduct-2. 21st September 2015..jpg

The Roman Camp details.

attachicon.gifLeaderfoot Viaduct-3. 21st September 2015..jpg

Leaderfoot viaduct trackbed.

attachicon.gifLeaderfoot Viaduct-4. 21st September 2015..jpg

The view looking down onto the viaduct, with the original road bridge over the River Tweed to be seen between the arches, and the new road bridge just above it.

attachicon.gifLeaderfoot Viaduct-5. 21st September 2015..jpg

After that diversion, I shall return the thread back to Davids fabulous photos.

Paul J.

Paul,

Thank you very much for these photos, they add a great deal of useful information.

David

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photos. The first one is a great view of Reston viaduct, showing just how imposing it was. And yet another old railway is converted to a road in the second photo at Port Glasgow, Gouroch branch. So sad.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J3850; I'm not aware of any line that was converted into a road in Port Glasgow ? The railway is behind the road, above the retaining wall, and the OLE masts are visible.

It says Tripontium on my screen Paul.

Mike.

The photos where taken at Tremontium, "the place of the three hills". I'm not sure why there is a reference to Trepontium unless it is to the three bridges in the location. The actual Roman town of Trepontium was on Watling Street in Warwickshire, near the Catthorpe interchange on the M6. Roman history at its best.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the High Dyke, Market Overton and Sewstern photos. What a cut up rusting hulk Ellerman Lines was at the time of the photo in J4027. The Smith Rodley steam crane in the background of J4027, and also C1415, is delightful and would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photos. That last one is so reminiscent of that infamous film, The Great St. Trinians Train Robbery! You just need the hockey sticks to finish the scene off! lol

I think, from the cab window, that the class 105 Cravens unit was photographed from a class 114 Derby Heavyweight in J5934.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Some photos from the GNR Grantham to Nottingham line for this afternoon.

attachicon.gifdd Bottesford East junction 2 Class 20s Skegness to Burton on Trent July 83 C6127.jpg

Bottesford East junction 2 Class 20s Skegness to Burton on Trent July 83 C6127

attachicon.gifBottesford West Junction Class 47 oil tanks April 77 J5660.jpg

Bottesford West Junction Class 47 oil tanks April 77 J5660  47370

attachicon.gifBottesford West Junction Clas 47 Manchester to Parkeston Quay Aug 82 C5852.jpg

Bottesford West Junction Class 47 Manchester to Parkeston Quay Aug 82 C5852

attachicon.gifdd Bottesford East junction 2 Class 20s Skegness to Burton on Trent July 83 C6127.jpg

Bottesford East junction 2 Class 20s Skegness to Burton on Trent July 83 C6127

attachicon.gifElton and Orston Class 105 Nottingham to Skegness March 78 J5934.jpg

Elton and Orston Class 105 Nottingham to Skegness March 78 J5934

David

The last photo of the 2x25's is the return leg of the DAA Railtour Society/D.E.G "Yorkshire Rover" of the 22nd April 1978, from York to St Pancras. 25067 + 25036 in charge. More info on the "Six Bells Junction" website here. https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

The last photo of the 2x25's is the return leg of the DAA Railtour Society/D.E.G "Yorkshire Rover" of the 22nd April 1978, from York to St Pancras. 25067 + 25036 in charge. More info on the "Six Bells Junction" website here. https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

Paul J.

Thanks Paul.  That's useful information.

The image should have had a caption, in fact it did earlier this afternoon but something strange happened when I edited the post as one photo wouldn't display properly and the Class 25s moved and lost their caption.

David

Paul J.

Wasn't DAA partially run by several people from SE Division Control?

Fascinating stuff on the Berwickshire Railway on Saturday. I wasn't familiar with the Reston - St. Boswells line (latterly truncated as the Duns branch). I spent a very enjoyable hour researching it on Disused Stations (www.disused-stations.org.uk) and Wikipedia. Without your excellent photographs I would probably have continued to be ignorant of it for many more years!