Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos. The second one is a very good one of an HST, 254017, in original condition, with no smoke deflectors.

The first one of a Deltic hauled express train, is a great classic shot.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Lowdham and Gonalston photos. They show what is now a long gone age, with BR blue that was, at the time, all pervasive, or so it seemed. The Plasser and Theurer tamping machine is well caught in the first photo. And the class 120 Cross Country units make splendid sights along with the Class 25/3 , 25121, in J5046 at Gonalston Crossing.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

There used to be a narrow gauge line that ran onto the beach at Pentewan in Cornwall.

I would guess it was 1' 6" - 2' 0" gauge.*

It was to extract gravel from the beach at low tide, the track being covered at high tide.

Every tide washed more gravel over the tracks and each working period a RB digger would crawl out from the depot along with a small diesel loco and some small hopper wagons,

They would dig the sand/gravel off the tracks until the tide came in and then return to the depot

It closed some years ago but was very active in the 50s/60s

Keith

*Edit maybe it was 2' 6" like the "main line"!

I think the remains of the shed and some of the track is still there.

Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire today.   Something of a mixed bag.

attachicon.gifNew Bedford River Class 37 Parkeston Quay to Peterborough Aug 72 J3010.jpg

New Bedford River Class 37 Parkeston Quay to Peterborough Aug 72 J3010

attachicon.gifNew Bedford River Class 37 up freight Aug 72 J3011.jpg

New Bedford River Class 37 6773 up freight Aug 72 J3011

David

The New Bedford Bridge is giving cause for concern now. I think there is quite a harsh speed restriction on it. 

• RMweb Premium

It must have been a nightmare finding good foundations for some of the bridges in that area - and of course Sutton Bridge dock was not a startling success.

I remember fairly serious work on one of the bridges in the 1970s, with gaunletting of the two lines over the bridge.

Jonathan.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire photos. That class 44 in the last photo makes a fine sight at the head of a freight train in the last photo. Very cold and frosty too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

DC-3?

Could be; it’s got the correct number of wings and engines. ;) But besides that, more than 24 hours after it was posted, not a whiff of an attempt to identify the Deltic in C4427!! Are all the Deltic experts at Warley?

Could be; it’s got the correct number of wings and engines. ;) But besides that, more than 24 hours after it was posted, not a whiff of an attempt to identify the Deltic in C4427!! Are all the Deltic experts at Warley?

Another amateur stab in the dark - single line name plate, number looks like it ends in a number with straight lines rather than curves - St Paddy or Pinza...

• RMweb Premium

Not at Warley, no. Not even in the UK. Wasn't confident enough to post, but since you ask my first thought was that the number ends with a 7, but the red nameplate looks longer than a racehorse, unless it shadow or something.

DC-3?

I think your on the right lines, more probably a converted Dakota C47.  Quite long broad wings outboard of the engine nacelles with rounded tips.  HS748 has less chord  and more squared off tips.  Horrible aeroplane to fly in IMHO.

Remember sitting in the Captains seat of a C47 in the early 70's while an engine was ground tested at Leavesden aerodrome.  Very exciting for a nine year old air mad youf!

idd

Another lovely set of pictures, David.

As identified above, 44 004 is fairly obvious in J5614.

I'd suggest D1537 for J092, as well.

As for C4427 - I concur with Andrew, it's not really clear enough to ID (although I agree that it appears to end in a 7) and the dimensions of the plate are not clear with the dirt & brake block dust. The state of the loco, in itself, suggests strongly to me that it might be a Gateshead loco, in which case it could only be 55 017. The picture dates from April 1979 and the Gateshead and Haymarket locos were not transferred to York until the following month. 7 didn't receive its white windscreen surrounds until July 1979 but it would be highly unusual for Finsbury Park to let a loco go out in that state!