Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A fascinating set of photos from Blyth. It’s interesting to see the oil tank wagons being unloaded in C6947, and C6955. It’s not something that you see everyday.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In 1966 we had a club trip to the area.

I remember the ferry from South Blyth to the shed at North Blyth.

Too late in the day for anything but freight engines, though.

I remember an early morning trip on that ferry to North Blyth shed in 1964/5 Has anyone a photo of this ferry?

Robin

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Grassington branch photos are superb. Words seem so inadequate to describe how utterly delightful they are. They are the epitome of how things were at the end of BR steam. More please.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Mark,

I've seen the chain ferry before but if my memory is correct we went over in a smaller passenger only ferry which had a part covered passenger area. Also I think we landed at one of the staithes. any ideas anyone?

Robin

Yes, there was a smaller ferry, locally known as the 'high ferry'.The location was further south, closer to Blyth town centre and crossing the river to the staithes at North Blyth.

Mal

And there's this.

3298708440_44fab18e18_b.jpgBlyth chain ferry to Cambois by Strat GB, on Flickr

Great photo. I've been doing a bit of research and have found info at www.davidheyscollection.com/page83.htm

This says the chain ferry ceased operating on 30th June 1964 and was replaced by a motor boat, BHC No5. This vessel looks bigger than the one I remember. The ferry I used looks like the small boat at the bottom of this page although probably not this particular craft - carrying only 6 passengers - as I was with a coach full of spotters. 

Robin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice Grassington photos David. As always thank you for sharing with us. according to my 1982 IRS 1982 book, the ANO in C6250 should be 08054.

Paul J.

Thanks Paul, I've added it to the caption.

David

Great photo. I've been doing a bit of research and have found info at www.davidheyscollection.com/page83.htm

This says the chain ferry ceased operating on 30th June 1964 and was replaced by a motor boat, BHC No5. This vessel looks bigger than the one I remember. The ferry I used looks like the small boat at the bottom of this page although probably not this particular craft - carrying only 6 passengers - as I was with a coach full of spotters. 

Robin

For those not familiar with the Blyth area this image from Britain From Above may put things into context.

post-508-0-50341800-1507890138_thumb.jpg

Plenty more images to view on this page:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=Blyth&country=global&year=all

P

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

More wonderful photos Dave

J1289 You don't see shunters DIT in photos too often ....rods still on except it looks like rod to final drive under cab is off.

Also J783 - what is that load on the conflat behind D6777?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Ah yes - but loaded at 90 degrees, can see it now....

An AX container for Drikold(Dry Ice). From ICI at Billingam . A block load also left ICI at about 15:50 every day.

See also:

https://flic.kr/p/TS2G9Y and Mr Bartletts site.

post-508-0-87627200-1507907939.jpg

P

Edit.Cross post with Mr M.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Pilmoor photos. The first one has a brake tender coupled to D6777. A lovely shortish freight for a model railway. And in J1059, you can see the NE prefix to Mk1 TSO NE4265.

With warmest regards,

Rob.