Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

More great photos Dave

J2591 - good job that is ECS, cant imagine a Brush type 2 sticking to a timetable with that load on the drawbar!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos from Grantham on the ECML this evening. I particularly like the one at Barkston with an A2 on an up passenger in June, 1953. I haven't seen that photo before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In  a photo taken in the same month looking the other way the wires are clearly visible.

In other photos taken in the direction of the one posted today the wires are very difficult to see.

I suspect the wires may be there but not easy to see, but I'm really not sure.

April 71 looking north

attachicon.gifj Dry Doddington Class 47 Leeds to Kings X April 71 C570.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 47 Leeds to Kings X April 71 C570

It looks like new cable troughing in the cess behind the loco. Overhead wiring had been replaced by multi core cables for several years by 1971.

• RMweb Gold

If I can relieve Mark54's workload a little....

C442 1569 with 8D97 16.25 SO High Dyke - Barnetby

J2591 5804* with 5L30 10.50 Holloway CS - Doncaster (MO), Clifton (TFO), or Holgate (WThO), due to pass around 15:45. I guess this one was taken during the Easter holidays, and not on a Saturday.

The class 47 is in early BR blue, with two large arrows on the bodyside, one of only 19 examples painted this way.

*the class 31 looks like it might be 5804; it certainly carried this livery variant.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

In  a photo taken in the same month looking the other way the wires are clearly visible.

In other photos taken in the direction of the one posted today the wires are very difficult to see.

I suspect the wires may be there but not easy to see, but I'm really not sure.

April 71 looking north

attachicon.gifj Dry Doddington Class 47 Leeds to Kings X April 71 C570.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 47 Leeds to Kings X April 71 C570

From November 1970

attachicon.gifj Dry Doddington Class 31s 5672 and 5675 High Dyke to Scunthorpe iron ore Nov 70 C415.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 31s 5672 and 5675 High Dyke to Scunthorpe iron ore Nov 70 C415

David

Hi,

Interesting to see the the variations in where the BR arrows were placed on both those 31's in photo C415.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

If I can relieve Mark54's workload a little....

C442 1569 with 8D97 16.25 SO High Dyke - Barnetby

J2591 5804* with 5L30 10.50 Holloway CS - Doncaster (MO), Clifton (TFO), or Holgate (WThO), due to pass around 15:45. I guess this one was taken during the Easter holidays, and not on a Saturday.

The class 47 is in early BR blue, with two large arrows on the bodyside, one of only 19 examples painted this way.

*the class 31 looks like it might be 5804; it certainly carried this livery variant.

Stovepipe,

Many thanks for the information

The 31 on the ecs probably was on a weekday as I was also there, it would have been in the holidays as I was at home from Manchester over Easter.

David

• RMweb Gold

Such a shame that folded. I don't know a massive amount about it. How long was the running section for the preserved stock and was there scope for extending it?

Cheers David thanks for posting

• RMweb Gold

Such a shame that folded. I don't know a massive amount about it. How long was the running section for the preserved stock and was there scope for extending it?

Cheers David thanks for posting

The High Dyke branch (BR) plus the ironstone lines (ex BSC) and ae BR bit near Market Overton (which was owned by BR but they had no rail access to it! - the ex MR line from Saxby to Bourne) was a bit over 8 miles (from memory).  It was planned to extend to Saxby Junction a further 3 or more miles.  Then there were a few miles of branches.

It was also planned to have a museum of ironstone quarrying, including examples of draglines.

Sadly in the then prevailing economic circumstances - inflation which reached 25%, 3 day week, oil crisis, tax changes for companies and trusts etc the whole thing was not economic. It would also have been very expensive (well into 6 figures) to keep a connection to the ECML at High Dyke and not that much less for a connection to BR at Saxby Junction - that being at 1974 prices.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the preservation photos on the High Dyke branch. In J3565, Pendennis Castle is looking most bright and shiny.

The WCML photos show the heyday of the 85's and 86's before the Voyagers came along and made things so bland on that route.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Interesting to see the the variations in where the BR arrows were placed on both those 31's in photo C415.

5672 is in the earlier 'standard' livery, which was almost universal in 1970 on blue-liveried examples. 5675 is in the later version, which became the new 'standard'. Actually, that came as quite a surprise to me, as I don't remember seeing that livery style as early as 1970 and I used to see A LOT of Brush 2s every day! The tablet-catcher fitted batch used to rarely venture south of High Dyke, so it's quite possible that that was one of the very first to receive that style (I'll have to consult my spreadsheets for the period to see when I first recorded a sighting of a 31 with a centrally placed double arrow).

• RMweb Gold

With the widespread forecast of fog tonight and tomorrow C3550 someone might get the chance to do a current version with push pull Cl90's.

Great photos as usual of course. 

If anyone goes out to take photos in fog I hope they have a better journey than I did that morning from Basildon to Manningtree, the fog was very thick in places!  I went to see Greene King and only just managed to get there in time.

David

5672 is in the earlier 'standard' livery, which was almost universal in 1970 on blue-liveried examples. 5675 is in the later version, which became the new 'standard'. Actually, that came as quite a surprise to me, as I don't remember seeing that livery style as early as 1970 and I used to see A LOT of Brush 2s every day! The tablet-catcher fitted batch used to rarely venture south of High Dyke, so it's quite possible that that was one of the very first to receive that style (I'll have to consult my spreadsheets for the period to see when I first recorded a sighting of a 31 with a centrally placed double arrow).

1970 does seem early as you say. I have spent a pleasant 30 minutes going through my postcard/photo collection for any from that year and in that livery variation but found none.  However,  I did come up with a couple of green FYE examples with BR symbols under the cab windows and numbers behind the drivers' doors, which is a variation I don't remember seeing before.

D5557 and D5561 were the locos.

Even more unusual is a photo of D5524 at Frodingham in Sep 1973 in all over blue with central BR arrow but no yellow front at all, at least on the end facing the camera.

Sorry for wandering O/T.

• Like 1

5675 is an unusual livery in that it has a central double arrow, which to me looks smaller than the normal ones normally used, with the numbers behind the cab, instead of the more usual cabside, as was the norm for the central arrow livery. Unfortunately I haven't come across a photo of the other side at the time of the photo shown, to see if it is repeated on that side. All the shots I have of 5675 are of the other side, and at least a year later in 1971, and show the normal central arrow, cabside numbers. A real oddity is 5675.

Paul J.

PS. Yet again another fascinating collection of photos you have posted David. Many thanks for sharing them.

• RMweb Gold

1970 does seem early as you say. I have spent a pleasant 30 minutes going through my postcard/photo collection for any from that year and in that livery variation but found none.  However,  I did come up with a couple of green FYE examples with BR symbols under the cab windows and numbers behind the drivers' doors, which is a variation I don't remember seeing before.

D5557 and D5561 were the locos.

Even more unusual is a photo of D5524 at Frodingham in Sep 1973 in all over blue with central BR arrow but no yellow front at all, at least on the end facing the camera.

Sorry for wandering O/T.

5675 is an unusual livery in that it has a central double arrow, which to me looks smaller than the normal ones normally used, with the numbers behind the cab, instead of the more usual cabside, as was the norm for the central arrow livery. Unfortunately I haven't come across a photo of the other side at the time of the photo shown, to see if it is repeated on that side. All the shots I have of 5675 are of the other side, and at least a year later in 1971, and show the normal central arrow, cabside numbers. A real oddity is 5675.

Paul J.

PS. Yet again another fascinating collection of photos you have posted David. Many thanks for sharing them.

I've just had a look through both Dad's and my photos taken in the autumn of 1970.

This one is the first blue Class 31 with central arrows that we photographed - we had gone out together that day as I was visiting home that weekend.

Before then all the blue ones had arrows at each end, though a few green ones had central arrows replacing the crest.

It was a long time before either of us photographed another one with central arrows which was 5675 in December 1971, on the High Dyke branch (but there were very few Class 31s photograped during that twelve month period).

David

• Like 1