Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The picture of 16440 (C4989) brings back fond memories from spring 1983 and my only visit to the Midland Railway Trust (Centre as it is now).

It was a very cold spring Sunday afternoon and, back in the days before the H&S dictators stopped everyone's fun, the driver and fireman on 16440, which was operating the day's services, invited me onto the footplate and gave me a run over to Hammersmith and back.

That's a long way for just a 'run'. What's that? Not the one in London... that's alright then...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely selection of Scottish photos. I particularly like J3863 of Connel Ferry bridge. It gives a good view of the design of the bridge, and that when the photo was taken it was still nice and clean and must have been repainted fairly recently.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

More common than you think Phil. As well as 1628 in the photo and 1510 mentioned by leopoldml2341, I've found photos of 1500, 1516/8/9, 1541/3, 1551, 1565/6/7, 1618/9, 1621/4/5/7, 1630, 1698/9, 1717, 1720, 1732 and 1741. A few of those listed lasted just about until TOPSrenumbering, 1622 becoming 47041 whilst still GFYE and Vac braked.

Paul J.

Thanks Paul! I guessed there would be some more and therefore avoided using rare....

And I thought D1628 rang a bell for some reason...47601 would be why

Phil

C5051 a bit short for a Norwich train, isn't it?

Could it be a relief Harwich boat train? I caught one of those back in 81-ish, formed of only 5 coaches (and a 37 for the loco).

Only a theory.

And C3185 has caught one of the side destination boards (aka "laser digital display") on the Clacton unit.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent selection of photos of the GEML. In C2083, the class 309 unit would appear to have neither a tail lamp not an electric tail lamp illuminated. Surely if that is correct, it should have been stopped for examination, and to make sure it was then displaying a rear lamp for the rest of its journey.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C5051 a bit short for a Norwich train, isn't it?

Could it be a relief Harwich boat train? I caught one of those back in 81-ish, formed of only 5 coaches (and a 37 for the loco).

Only a theory.

And C3185 has caught one of the side destination boards (aka "laser digital display") on the Clacton unit.

C5051 could be a relief Harwich boat train, it does sem a bit short for a Norwich working.  Sadly I didn't note any times that day so can't check exactly when I saw it.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent selection of photos of the GEML. In C2083, the class 309 unit would appear to have neither a tail lamp not an electric tail lamp illuminated. Surely if that is correct, it should have been stopped for examination, and to make sure it was then displaying a rear lamp for the rest of its journey.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I did wonder about the lack of a tail lamp or or red light too.  There is a faint hint of red so it might be that the light was on but didn't really show up on the slide.

David

I did wonder about the lack of a tail lamp or or red light too.  There is a faint hint of red so it might be that the light was on but didn't really show up on the slide.

David

A point to remember for led fanatics.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

C5051 could be a relief Harwich boat train, it does sem a bit short for a Norwich working.  Sadly I didn't note any times that day so can't check exactly when I saw it.

David

Looking at the shadows I'd say around 10:00

I'm as mystified as others about the identity of the loco.

I've just had a look at Dad's catalogue and am certain it was taken in January 1968 as I know the dates for the photos taken just before are correct.  Also he only had one camera then and always numbered the slides as soon as they came back from the processor.

I've also just dug out my B/W print of the same train, I also have it noted as January 1968.

For some reason though I have it as D9013, The Black Watch, so either Dad or I wrote down the wrong number.  However the nameplate is wrong for D9013.

I've tried enlarging the loco part of the image, below.  The black and white one is no better.

attachicon.gif1201med.jpg

J1201med

Hi,

looking at your photo the loco looks like D9000, the reason for my thinking this is the front of the loco. After the spotlamps were removed in 1961 the areas were plated over and new step holes positioned in middle bottom of front/rear but unlike the rest of the class which had oval corners the oblong cut out on D9000 has square corners.

Hope this helps

Ian H

looking at your photo the loco looks like D9000, the reason for my thinking this is the front of the loco. After the spotlamps were removed in 1961 the areas were plated over and new step holes positioned in middle bottom of front/rear but unlike the rest of the class which had oval corners the oblong cut out on D9000 has square corners

The footstep on D9000 is also noticeably narrower than that of the other 21 locos. Additionally, to this day, the square plate into which the new footstep is sunk is very obvious, as it sits proud of the nose end.

I'm afraid that it's definitely not D9000, as it has a double line nameplate.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really like the Cumbrian Coast photos. The first two show the sheer scale of the viaduct at Arnside. In J6605 the 40 looks so real - I think it is real - not a model, lol.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Radcliffe on Trent. What a view in C4981, it reminds me of an old Tri-ang model! And what a dramatic sky in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

P.S. Russ p has beaten me to it about the Tri-ang remark! lol.

Edited by Market65

C1169 is superb. A just detectable glow from the headcode sets the mood for me. Fog is a bit difficult to model. We can do daylight, night, snow and wet in model form but not a convincing fog.

There was a French layout that did simulate dense fog for a video-shoot; some footage on You-tube was on here a while back.