Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of the L.T.&S.R. line today. How those 302's were used! They really must have been on their last legs when withdrawn.

The first photo reminds me of the cold and snow which we had during part of February, 1977.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm as mystified as others about the identity of the loco.

I've just had a look at Dad's catalogue and am certain it was taken in January 1968 as I know the dates for the photos taken just before are correct.  Also he only had one camera then and always numbered the slides as soon as they came back from the processor.

I've also just dug out my B/W print of the same train, I also have it noted as January 1968.

For some reason though I have it as D9013, The Black Watch, so either Dad or I wrote down the wrong number.  However the nameplate is wrong for D9013.

I've tried enlarging the loco part of the image, below.  The black and white one is no better.

attachicon.gif1201med.jpg

J1201med

My guess is that it looks like D9005 with that livery which it carried from 1967 and the size of the nameplate.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Tonight's photos of 302s as lovely as there are take the fun out of our game of guess the number as it is painted on the front. :nono:

I did surprise myself by thinking the first photo looks like Laindon from the OLE above the unit before reading the caption.........how sad. 

My guess is that it looks like D9005 with that livery which it carried from 1967 and the size of the nameplate.

Again, I'm afraid that that is not possible, as the nameplate is very definitely of the style applied to the Scottish locos and not the Gateshead ones. The font is much larger.

They look like the sort of 'safety chains' that were seen in earlier days.

The bogie saloons came from Boots at Nottingham, IIRC.

You may notice that the locos are not vacuum fitted. Right up to the late 70s Foxfield had dispensation to run without continuous brakes but had the side safety chains instead, not something that would even be considered now, particularly considering the 1 in 19 that the platform in those photographs is on. Just think of stopping an unfitted train on that gradient. The coaches were all fitted with a hand brake which was manned at all times whilst on the steeper gradients.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent David, that Gresley was a late survivor obviously it must have been withdrawn for a considerable time by 1990 any idea what became of it?

Sorry, no.  It was the only time I had the opportunity to visit Heaton Depot.

David

Excellent David, that Gresley was a late survivor obviously it must have been withdrawn for a considerable time by 1990 any idea what became of it?

Sorry, no.  It was the only time I had the opportunity to visit Heaton Depot.

David

I believe that it is the one now at Middle Engine Lane, Museum!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some remarkable photos. In C12939 at Heaton Depot, the second coach along, on the right hand side looks very much like a dmu car - possibly class 108. The Gresley BG, is quite remarkable, for it appears to have twisted on leaving the rails. Good to know that it has since been preserved.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Oh good someone else thinks so too. This was the gist of my deleted post above!

Here's a photo of 9006 and 9019's nameplates to show the different sizes https://flic.kr/p/fMkHGb and another of D9006 which pretty much confirms that the letters on the top line of the nameplate are longer than in Dave's photo https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/18/26/34/18263436e8eb54d7f3eb710f57af6ba9.jpg

The full yellow panel looks quite new and much cleaner than the rest of the loco. Could the November 1967 repaint of 9019 have been just the yellow panel and blue followed later?

Interesting thoughts from 35A and yourself. I've not much to add other than I don't (didn't?) believe 9019 ever got full yellow ends in two-tone green.....one of 7 that didn't. Generally speaking full yellow ends on green were added from Dec 66 (9003) to June 67 (9014), with the first blue repaint in October 1966 (9002), and the second in July 1967 (9008) with the rest done by Nov 1969.

9019 was also recorded to have been dual-braked in Nov 1967 - can anyone detect if this is the case in Dave's picture? For the record 9006 was dual-braked after Dave's picture, in April 1968. Napier Chronicles notes on D9019 here.

The only other 1968 photo of D9019 I can find is this one in September by our host Dave. Other than confirming '19 was blue by then, you can see the horn clips, though I have to say I can't see them on the Jan '68 photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/25991959853/sizes/l

Also looking at the Napier Chronicles site, it appears '19 was at Doncaster Works quite a lot in January 1968, only working on Saturday 6th and 27th Jan - I assume the photo was taken on Saturday? It was also in works over the New Year period until 3rd Jan. D9006 was out and about in January but appears to have nose horns by then, so it's a real mystery......

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

I believe that it is the one now at Middle Engine Lane, Museum!

Mark Saunders

And at the time of the photo looks well overdue for a visit from the hand of God....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thoughts from 35A and yourself. I've not much to add other than I don't (didn't?) believe 9019 ever got full yellow ends in two-tone green.....one of 7 that didn't. Generally speaking full yellow ends on green were added from Dec 66 (9003) to June 67 (9014), with the first blue repaint in October 1966 (9002), and the second in July 1967 (9008) with the rest done by Nov 1969.

9019 was also recorded to have been dual-braked in Nov 1967 - can anyone detect if this is the case in Dave's picture? For the record 9006 was dual-braked after Dave's picture, in April 1968. Napier Chronicles notes on D9019 here.

The only other 1968 photo of D9019 I can find is this one in September by our host Dave. Other than confirming '19 was blue by then, you can see the horn clips, though I have to say I can't see them on the Jan '68 photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/25991959853/sizes/l

Also looking at the Napier Chronicles site, it appears '19 was at Doncaster Works quite a lot in January 1968, only working on Saturday 6th and 27th Jan - I assume the photo were taken on Saturdays? It was also in works over the New Year period until 3rd Jan. D9006 was out and about in January but appears to have nose horns by then, so it's a real mystery......

The photo was almost certainly taken on a Saturday.

David

Deltic identification squad here again .....

I pretty certain that C3399 is 55 016.

Again, it is definitely a Haymarket Deltic and the only candidates are 55 004, 13, 16 & 22. It can't be 13, as it has a crest (13 lost its crest in green livery days and it was never replaced). It can't be 22 (D9000) as the footstep above the buffer beam is wrong. I don't think that the nameplate looks long enough for it to be "QUEEN'S OWN HIGHLANDER", which was a very long plate, it also doesn't appear to have a solid oval crest and the last digit appears to be a 6, so I'm confident that it's 55 016.

post-27843-0-45313600-1479601243_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Deltic identification squad here again .....

I pretty certain that C3399 is 55 016.

Again, it is definitely a Haymarket Deltic and the only candidates are 55 004, 13, 16 & 22. It can't be 13, as it has a crest (13 lost its crest in green livery days and it was never replaced). It can't be 22 (D9000) as the footstep above the buffer beam is wrong. I don't think that the nameplate looks long enough for it to be "QUEEN'S OWN HIGHLANDER", which was a very long plate, it also doesn't appear to have a solid oval crest and the last digit appears to be a 6, so I'm confident that it's 55 016.

Many thanks for working that out.

If I really did have a time machine I'd make sure I wrote down all the loco numbers as I took the photos, it would make life much easier now.  

Real time trains would have been useful too if it had existed.

David

• RMweb Gold

I don't ofetn "like"preserved railway photos, but 185A is something else. Beautiful. Is it still there? If so I must find time to look it out next Saturday when I am at the HMRS.

Jonathan

It's listed on their web site.  I'm not sure if it is at Butterley or in the big shed at Swanwick Junction.  I think probably the latter.

David

Edited by DaveF

The picture of 16440 (C4989) brings back fond memories from spring 1983 and my only visit to the Midland Railway Trust (Centre as it is now).

It was a very cold spring Sunday afternoon and, back in the days before the H&S dictators stopped everyone's fun, the driver and fireman on 16440, which was operating the day's services, invited me onto the footplate and gave me a run over to Hammersmith and back.

I keep saying that I must revisit the MRC but I still haven't got around to it!

• RMweb Premium

We'll head a short distance north from Newcastle on the ECML today, starting at Manors.

attachicon.gifb Manors 31282 down le 27th May 87_C8546.jpg

Manors 31282 down le 27th May 87 C8546

attachicon.gifManors 47118 down dolofines 27th May 87_C8541.jpg

Manors 47118 down dolofines 27th May 87 C8541

attachicon.gifd Heaton Depot condemned coaches 20th Jan 90_C13929.jpg

Heaton Depot condemned coaches 20th Jan 90 C13929

attachicon.gifd Heaton Depot Gresley pigeon van 20th Jan 90_C13934.jpg

Heaton Depot Gresley pigeon van 20th Jan 90 C13934

attachicon.gifg Killingworth 47458 down special 23rd Dec 87_C9307.jpg

Killingworth 47458 down special 23rd Dec 87 C9307

attachicon.gifg Killingworth 143014 Morpeth to Newcastle 23rd Dec 87_C9305.jpg

Killingworth 143014 Morpeth to Newcastle 23rd Dec 87 C9305

David

C8541 looks very like the site of Trafalgar Yard?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of the Midland Railway Centre. It is good to see that Jinty in the fake LMS crimson livery that Hornby used on their model for a few years.

The Derbyshire photos are so nostalgic. Just look at the brake dust coating the side of D1628 in the first photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.