Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I would like to know the identity of the 'animal' on the upturned wheelbarrow in J1777. I've been looking at it a while now and I still can't work out what it is!

In C1715 I assume (probably wrongly!) that the class 37 has brought in a semifast of some kind from the Cross and another loco is about to take it back south, releasing the loco shown for another duty; hence the driver is at this end. But of course I may have got south and north wrong.

And is the dead animal the photographer's coat? Probably not; more likely his lunch.

Jonathan

Looks a bit like a small deer.

Phil

I've had a look at the original scan and am reasonably certain it is a sack cunningly disguised as an animal.

I know it's a very long time ago but I am sure I remember seeing sacks alongside the ECML containing spare bolts and chair screws etc.

David.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

More brilliant photos - thanks again

Do we have another loco ID quandary I wonder?

J2466 - if that were D1516 being one of the original generator batch she would have ETH and an oval Brush built works plate - cant see any ETH and she has a square Crewe built works plate

Are we looking at a loco from the D11xx batch perhaps?

Kind regards

Phil

I think Phil is on the right track here, all the first twenty retained their 3 part fixed radiator grille until repainted blue.

1A27 was the 13:00 Newcastle-KX. The front 3 coaches were attached at York from 12:00 Newcastle-Lincoln via Sunderland (see 1E79 below)

1A15 was the 09:15 Newcastle-KX The Tees-Tyne Pullman. Unless I'm mistaken the middle of the 5 Pullmans is in umber & cream and therefore a 2nd class car. On 23rd July 1969 the down train was badly derailed at Sandy which suggests the photo is after that date and would explain the inclusion of a 2nd class car (it was by the 1st class Pullman/2nd class ordinary).

1L09 was the 10:20 KX-Leeds/Hull

1H02 was the 12:20 KX-Hull

From the previous day

1E79 was the 12:00 Newcastle to Lincoln (via Sunderland). The front 3 coaches were attached at York to the 1A27 13:00 Newcastle-KX (see above)

Further thoughts on C1715: I don't have a 1974 passenger timetable, but in the May 71-May 72 version there was a 1252 Harwich PQ-Peterborough, arriving at 1545 and connecting into a 1551 Peterborough-Leicester. I wonder if these, or something similar, are the trains in the photo ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Love the old preservation pictures David,is there any glass in the LMS coach?

In the first photo there was glazing in the coach.

In the final photo: Of course not - people were hardy then!

It's a converted LMS scenery van with seats.

Edited to remove some confusion caused by me writing about the last photo not the first one.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Foxfield Railway, and I also wonder if the saloon windows are glazed in the first photo.

The S&C photos are a lovely mixture, and I particularly like the steam era photos. Again they show how run down steam was in those last years. In J328, Stanier Black 5, 45253 makes a fine sight at the head of a goods train - a real classic view of a steam hauled goods train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Foxfield Railway, and I also wonder if the saloon windows are glazed in the first photo.

The S&C photos are a lovely mixture, and I particularly like the steam era photos. Again they show how run down steam was in those last years. In J328, Stanier Black 5, 45253 makes a fine sight at the head of a goods train - a real classic view of a steam hauled goods train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Agreed the locos look scruffy but appear to be in good order mechanically, working hard yet few if any steam leaks visible

• RMweb Premium

I think that the salon windows are glazed, you can just make out the triangular no smoking sign above the childs head.

The rear shot of the brake van is interesting, I wonder what the extra chains are for?

Andy G

I think that the salon windows are glazed, you can just make out the triangular no smoking sign above the childs head.

The rear shot of the brake van is interesting, I wonder what the extra chains are for?

Andy G

They look like the sort of 'safety chains' that were seen in earlier days.

The bogie saloons came from Boots at Nottingham, IIRC.

• RMweb Gold

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Andy G

The windows in the LMS coach in the first photo were glazed.   The final photo of the scenery van shows that it was unglazed - ideal on a summers day. - it was the ideal mode of transport on a hot summer's day.

I'm not sure about the chains but I wonder if it was to do with the gradient at Dilhorne which was about 1 in 14 from the bottom sidings.

I see 'Lewisham' has patent valve gear, I just can't decide which version! Baguley or Bagnall?

It was built by Bagnall in 1927 and has Bagnall Price valve gear.

Link to page about the current restoration appeal for Lewisham:

http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/appeal_article.php?Help-us-restore-Lewisham-1

General details of Foxfield Railway steam locos:

http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/steamlocomotives.php

David

Hi Dave amazing pictures as usual. I like the one of Dent Head with the MGR wagons in. Myself and a friend went to have a look at that derailment a few days before this as the derailed wagons were still in there various positions post derailment and coal everywhere. I cant remember if I took any pictures of it. I cant remember what locos were on site recovering all the stricken wagons either? I cant believe it was nearly 20 years ago now!!!!