Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

attachicon.giff Skillington Junction Class 31 up iron ore June 72 C0990.jpg

Skillington Junction Class 31 up iron ore June 72 C0990

The building in the distance is the building at the crossroads of Skillington Lane and the "new" Woolsthorpe Road (unnamed on Google Earth).  We are looking east.

David

That last photo is such a tease Dave. I can make out some of the Sheremeteff parts.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.giff Skillington Junction Class 31 up iron ore June 72 C0990.jpg

The building in the distance is the building at the crossroads of Skillington Lane and the "new" Woolsthorpe Road (unnamed on Google Earth).  We are looking east.

David

That last photo is such a tease Dave. I can make out some of the Sheremeteff parts.

I think that's the closest Dad or I got to it, at least for photographs, though we both went past it on trains at various times.

David

Correct, but I'm not sure David's model is the one at Cottesmore. There were several of these models, one is in the display case at East Carlton Country Park and I believe David is still around with his, which I'm pretty sure wasn't Sundew, his was based on the one at Priors Hall if I recall correctly which may have been an 1800. He was at a local show relatively recently, complete with his diggers. I seem to remember he was working on the Marion a few years back but I can't recall seeing that.

He suffered a stroke some years ago and wasn't as mobile as he was but otherwise still in good spirits demoing the operation of the dragline.

Thanks for the update Rangers. Nice to know David is still around. A really nice chap with an amazing collection of scratchbuilt earth moving equipment.

Paul J.

These photos at Skilington Junction may help.  Some (if not all ) have been on here before.

attachicon.gifi Skillington Junction J2445.jpg

Skillington Junction Nov 70 J2445

The road going across the crossing is Skillington Lane.  The view is looking north west.

attachicon.giff Skillington junction Class 31 5858 up iron ore Aug 71 J2730.jpg

Skillington junction Class 31 5858 up iron ore Aug 71 J2730

The quarries on the north side of the line can be seen.  Skillington lane crosses the railway at the extreme left of the photo, and goes north  just where the excavator is working.  The view is looking west

attachicon.gifSkillington Junction Class 31 up iron ore June 72 C0990.jpg

David

Nice photos yet again David. The loco in photo Skillington Junction J2445 is 5671, and in Skillington Junction Class 31 up iron ore June 72 C0990 is 5676.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's. In C3125, the drivers door is open with the train moving, and there is, I presume, the Secondman stood watching the scenery going by. I didn't think that was either safe or allowed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's. In C3125, the drivers door is open with the train moving, and there is, I presume, the Secondman stood watching the scenery going by. I didn't think that was either safe or allowed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The driver seems to have made himself invisible as well.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

In the days before driver only operations it was possible to put the reverser in engine only or neutral and take your foot of the DSD. I hope the driver wasn't taking a leak or you could have had a soaking Dave!

Loco's and units have to be fitted with a sensor that detects they are moving and dumps the brake if not in forward or reverse ( SSF) for driver only operation

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely set of photo's of North Wales today. The first one at Blanau Ffestiniog, C26015, shows a very narrow looking bridge. It looks as if trains would have to have been modified to get through it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. A lovely set of photo's of North Wales today. The first one at Blanau Ffestiniog, C26015, shows a very narrow looking bridge. It looks as if trains would have to have been modified to get through it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Trains didn't have to be modified, but I think there was a fairly severe speed limit. I have seen footage of a transformer being delivered to Trawsfynydd power station; either in this cutting, or in a nearby tunnel, the train moves along at less than walking pace whilst the accompanying personnel move the load slightly from one side to another.

• Like 1

C7490 - until I spotted the two Sealions in the rake, I thought the rake of ballast wagons was a row of picnic tables with umbrellas... :haha:

C5708 - what is the '40' shunting? All i can see is a couple of 16-tonners and a plate wagon in the siding two to the right...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent LNWR photos. I am, however, concerned for your laptop upgrading to Windows10. It is something that I decided, after reading and hearing reviews about, that I will not be upgrading mine to. Driver issues and updates that you cannot turn off are two of the big issues for me.

I just hope all will be OK with your laptop.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent LNWR photos. I am, however, concerned for your laptop upgrading to Windows10. It is something that I decided, after reading and hearing reviews about, that I will not be upgrading mine to. Driver issues and updates that you cannot turn off are two of the big issues for me.

I just hope all will be OK with your laptop.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm hoping it will be OK.  It's main uses are for displaying photos as slide shows on my TV and playing my own videos from an external hard drive onto the TV.  If it does those I'll be content.

David

I'm hoping it will be OK. It's main uses are for displaying photos as slide shows on my TV and playing my own videos from an external hard drive onto the TV. If it does those I'll be content.

David

I've upgraded our computers to Windows 10 with few issues. There were a few driver issues in the early days, particularly as I have to transfer files from PC to Mac and use a certain amount of media software for work but no real problems.

I've done 3 PCs and a laptop.

Edited by mullie

attachicon.gifYarwell Junction LNWR Nov 70 J2465.jpg

Yarwell Junction LNWR Nov 70 J2465

Now to see the laptop is getting on with upgrading to Windows 10.

David

Yarwell Junction box was long gone by this date. Visible are two distant signals standing side by side, one on the single line to Naylor Benzon's and the other on the Oundle single line. The two joined up Peterborough side of Wansford tunnel on a former crossover controlled by Wansford signalbox. 

• RMweb Gold

Looks as though Wellingborough (LNW) was still open for freight at that time then - some grain hoppers in the background.

The disused stations web site states closed to passengers 1964, goods 1st February 1965 and closed completely 7th November 1966.

I have checked the date of the photo and it is correct.

David

• RMweb Premium

Interesting - definitely looks like wagons in the background!  I was trying to think of the mill there that was rail served, I think it was Whitworth's.

Interesting - definitely looks like wagons in the background!  I was trying to think of the mill there that was rail served, I think it was Whitworth's.

Those are definitely Grain hoppers. Is it possible that a line remained under a Private Siding Agreement? This might remain open, even though the goods yard was shown as having been closed, as its closure would not require a Statutory Notice of Closure to be posted, merely the termination of the PSA. This would not be so noticeable as the SNC, which requires publication in the local press, as well as the fixing of posters at relevant locations such as stations and goods yard entrances.

The siding was for the Whitworth's (Weetabix?) mill.

• Like 1