Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today's photo's of Harlaxton. The first one is somewhat reminiscent of the old Derwent Valley light railway, near York, with its overgrown track. And what lovely steam locos there was - just right for modelling.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J1536 is a Barclay I think, Dave.  The side tank went to Keighley I think.

Definitely a Barclay - though Avonside and Bagnalls both built locos with similar shaped tanks. I can't quite make out the name though.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

A new line was laid into the harbour at Battleship Wharf from the line to the Alcan terminal and is still used for coal traffic.

David

Hi Dave. 

Thanks again for such interesting photos.

I am not familiar with Blyth at all but, after looking at your photos, I had a look at Google Earth and Battleship Wharf. I can't work out from the view how the coal is unloaded from the ships to the train loading point. There does not to seem to be any obvious conveyor system but, as there is a loading shed, surely there must be. There is a significant storage stack near the train shed but that might just be for trucks. So do they use those cranes to load trucks from the ship and dump in the stock pile and then on to the trains? That does not seem very efficient though.

Sorry if this is a basic question and I am sure many others already know the answers but I am always interested in such industrial operations and how they operate.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave. 

Thanks again for such interesting photos.

I am not familiar with Blyth at all but, after looking at your photos, I had a look at Google Earth and Battleship Wharf. I can't work out from the view how the coal is unloaded from the ships to the train loading point. There does not to seem to be any obvious conveyor system but, as there is a loading shed, surely there must be. There is a significant storage stack near the train shed but that might just be for trucks. So do they use those cranes to load trucks from the ship and dump in the stock pile and then on to the trains? That does not seem very efficient though.

Sorry if this is a basic question and I am sure many others already know the answers but I am always interested in such industrial operations and how they operate.

Thanks again.

I think what you suggest is correct, but I have to admit that although I go for a walk on the beach near there quite often I've never really studied it - from the road (and the water) you can't see all that much.

Others probably know better than me.

David

• RMweb Gold

I think what you suggest is correct, but I have to admit that although I go for a walk on the beach near there quite often I've never really studied it - from the road (and the water) you can't see all that much.

Others probably know better than me.

David

Thanks for the reply.

After further study it looks as if movement to train is all done by crane and truck via a stack storage. Not sure if I can understand why the train shed is required though as everything else is exposed to the weather.

I was wondering if that Barclay saddletank became 'Salmon' on the NYMR??

I don't think so - Salmon and its sister loco, Swordfish, were named in quarry service, apparently after naval vessels lost the year before they were built (1940, both locos built 1941):

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/swordfish.htm

It's difficult to make out, but the loco in David's picture appears to be named XXnton (possibly 'Denton').

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if that Barclay saddletank became 'Salmon' on the NYMR??

For some reason I can't multiquote from posts on two pages of the thread.

I've had a delve into both Dad's and my notes of visits to Harlaxton, and also had a look at Eric Tonks' books on the Ironstone Railways.  To be honest I should know which loco was which as I visited there several times and Dad used to know the people there when he ran the works at Sewstern during the preservation period.

The Barclay 0-6-0ST (in J1536) is Denton, which was scrapped in October 1969.   Salmon went from the nearby Woolsthorpe Quarries to the NYMR in March 1969.

The Barclay 0-6-0T (in J1535) is not Ajax.  Ajax is on the far right of the photo and ended up at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

Therefore it probably is Harlaxton, which went to Haworth (KWVR) in June 1969.  Later Harlaxton was bought for the preservation project on the High Dyke branch where she was kept at Sewstern, I had several footplate rides on her there.  From there Harlaxton moved to the North Norfolk at Sheringham and is now (as far as I know) on the Caledonian Railway at Brechin.

It can be quite difficult to know which loco was which  as they were frequently exchanged between quarries owned by the same company.  At the end of their life they frequently ended up like the locos in some of my photos with neither number nor name visible.

Once again I recommend Eric Tonks' books on the Ironstone Railways to anyone who wants to know a (lot) more.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply.

After further study it looks as if movement to train is all done by crane and truck via a stack storage. Not sure if I can understand why the train shed is required though as everything else is exposed to the weather.

The shed is to cut down dust during loading which affected residents of the nearby houses in Cambois and North Blyth.  At times the coal dust also blew across the river into Blyth.   Fine powdered coal can travel a long way in a north easterly gale.

There has always been a similar problem with the alumina terminal at North Blyth, I think unloading of ships is still restricted in some weather conditions and alumina dust does find its way across the river into Blyth.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

The shed is to cut down dust during loading which affected residents of the nearby houses in Cambois and North Blyth.  At times the coal dust also blew across the river into Blyth.   Fine powdered coal can travel a long way in a north easterly gale.

There has always been a similar problem with the alumina terminal at North Blyth, I think unloading of ships is still restricted in some weather conditions and alumina dust does find its way across the river into Blyth.

David

OK, that makes a lot of sense. I can see houses nearby on GE. Thanks for that.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A series of great and atmospheric photo's from Birmingham in October, 1978 - that year and month which I remember well. The first photo' shows a fume laden Moor Street which is so characteristic of the diesel railway. And overcrowding in C4189 is even worse today, and seems to be something that cannot be solved. All sorts of solutions have been looked at, including double deck trains, but nothing has really solved that problem.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Love those photos, a 37 with round buffers and cut away buffer beam skirts, and a dogfish with the slag ballast extended sides. Those other photos of the old BR DMUs with the exhaust belching away reminds me of how much they were rattling wheezing trains, and we're not always guaranteed to get you there, but I still loved them.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a Great Western Toad Brake Van behind 37099, in the depths of the North East?

I believe some were used on engineers trains as staff accommodation after they were no longer used as brake vans.   I seem to remember their use on all forms of freight ended because the guard could only enter and leave the van at the veranda end which meant a guard could be trapped in the event of a collision.

David

• RMweb Gold

I believe some were used on engineers trains as staff accommodation after they were no longer used as brake vans.   I seem to remember their use on all forms of freight ended because the guard could only enter and leave the van at the veranda end which meant a guard could be trapped in the event of a collision.

David

Correct.  They were banned from traffic use as brakevans in late 1965 - regret I don't have the exact date.

Correct.  They were banned from traffic use as brakevans in late 1965 - regret I don't have the exact date.

They did seem very popular with the various engineer's departments, though, probably because they were relatively spacious, and the door at one end only cut down draughts. The verandah also gave stowage space for hand tools.